Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 05-14-2002, 07:09 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We've made fruit leather and dried fruits, mostly. Dh made beef jerky last weekend and it turned out great! And I'm not a jerky fan. I am anxious for my pear tree to fruit this year and try pears.

I agree it's one of those things that once it becomes part of your routine, it's great.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

OK, I put in some granola last night and snuck some this morning, before it was actually ready. Pretty good! I used a simple recipe to start and will add goodies when they're available (fruits, nuts, etc.). I am hoping we really like it b/c the granola we buy costs so much!
Old 05-17-2002, 08:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

dehydrated shredded zuchini??

Ok, Dumb question here....

HOW do you dry scredded zucchini? Is this self explainatory, ie just shred and dry.....don't the little zucchini shreds fall through, or do you lay something under them??? Also I am wondering about drying tomatoes, is it the same, with something underneath???

I have dehydrayted apples, peaches, bananas green peppers as well as some fruit leathers. Mmmmmm I still am learning though....

HSma
Old 05-18-2002, 01:41 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I haven't tried zucchini yet, but as for tomatoes, we just slice them (circles as for a burger) and lay them flat in the dehydrator, starting out the outer perimeter and working our way in. They shrink really nicely and are yuuuummmmyyyy. We don't put anything under the tomatoes. The smaller plum tomatoes work really well, too.
Old 05-19-2002, 02:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

What about green onions?

Does anyone do minced green onions in the dehydrator? There has to be a way because I find them at the supermarket in the spice section. Would this be done someother way than with a dehydrator, perhaps a microwave?

Thanks for any assistance.

Sandie
Old 05-19-2002, 02:53 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

The Possibilities Are Limitless

Ronsan, you just found your diamond in the rough my dear. It's hard for any of us to imagine how such a simple appliance can save us so much time and money in the longrun.;-)

What most of us would give to have your two gardens and an orchard to compliment our dehydrator. Unfortunately, we have to depend on the supermarket, in addition to those of us who do a little gardening on the side, and just stock up when fruits and veggies are in season, dehydrate and use throughout the year.

Knowledge is your answer. We all tend to fear what we haven't tried or don't know enough about. Along with this wonderful group of ladies, there are so many wonderful groups and specific dehydrating sites out there that will walk you through each and every dehydrating possibility. I belong to a wonderful fooddrying group at yahoogroups.com that has helped me out tremendously. This is an e-mail group and your questions are answered promptly and the recipes and ideas are fantastic.

Please, please give it a try and you won't regret it. Just go down to the supermarket and see how much you pay for dehydrated bellpeppers and that alone is enough savings to buy all of your plants for next year at $6.32 per container.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Cool ~

Web sites on dehydrating!! I never even thought to do a search for dehydrator sites. Would you provide a link for those you think are worthwhile, please? And THANKS!!
Sandie
Old 05-20-2002, 09:31 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Food Drying Link

Sandie;

This one is my favorite and I think you'll love the friendly folks and the wonderful recipes for everything from jerky to dried potpourri.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fooddrying/