Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 10-16-2002, 10:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

looking for recipe for hot sauce from fresh hot peppers

I thought that I saw this recipe sometime this summer . It involved putting the homegrown assorted hot peppers into processor and adding white vinegar and kosher salt. Extremely easy...then adding your own touches such as garlic clove or other seasonings. We gave this a try and it was GREAT! It suggested processing larger amounts as it only keeps in refrigerator for about two weeks. The bad news is that I can't find recipe with exact proportions. We want to finish off the seasons bounty and can it into pint jars for the future. Does anyone have this recipe or a similar one to share? Shari
Old 10-21-2002, 04:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Shari ~ You might want to go on the net and type in 'jars and lids'. I know it seem's funny, but when I did it I saw alot of different receipts. Fair warning, there are alot of sites to sift thru. You could also try just typing 'hot sauce'. I bet you'll get the information that your looking for. If so, please let me know. I'd be very interested myself. Right now I'm in the process of starting my own business making jellies. I'm really not sure what I'm getting myself into, but my husband thinks I should give it a try. He say's that I have nothing to lose.

Again, hope you have luck finding the receipt your looking for and maybe more people will see this post.

Old 10-22-2002, 07:57 AM
Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Groupie

Salsa

Here is a basic recipe for fresh salsa. I have found that if I use canned tomatoes, it keeps longer.
Blessings,
Marcia
<*)))><

Fresh Garden Tomato Salsa

Salsa made with fresh tomatoes is a healthy condiment. Use as much Jalepeno as your taste buds will allow! Makes approximately 2 cups.

Ingredients
1 bunch fresh scallions
½ red pepper
15-20 fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded
1 tsp. sugar
2 T. cider vinegar
1 T. cilantro
Kosher salt and pepper (to taste)
Use a food processor to coarsely chop the scallions, pepper, tomatoes, and jalepeno peppers. Do not to over process the mixture. Add the seaonings and refrigerate overnight.
Nutrition information
8 calories
0 g total fat
0 g saturated fat 1.7 g carbohydrate
0.2 g protein
0.3 g fiber

Portions:
1 Fruit

"Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements."
- Marcel Boulestin

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 10-25-2002, 05:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Why don't you try the Chili Pepper site, they may be able to have just the recipe you're looking for. Good luck!
www.chilepepper.com

I think I'm spelling chili right, maybe it's got an "e" on the end.

Last edited by Georgieanna; 10-25-2002 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Louisiana Hot Pepper Sauce

Could this be what you need?

Louisiana Hot Pepper Sauce
3 c Distilled white vinegar
2 ts Salt
2 lb Cayenne OR jalapenos -- seeded and chopped

Simmer vinegar, salt and peppers at least 5 minutes. Process in processor. Store in a glass bottle. Put in a dark cabinet and let age at least 3 months. Strain when ready to use.

Just Recipes: http://www.melborponsti.com/index.htm
Old 11-07-2002, 06:31 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hot pepper sauce

Preacherswife, I think that is just about the same as what I originally made. I did not cook the peppers but just processed the raw peppers and then added the salt and then the white vinegar. We had such an abundant crop of mixed hot peppers that we were ready for a second batch. That was when I couldn't find the recipe. Your recipe seems very similar. I will give it a try. We also strained it and I ended up freezing the pulp that was left. It is very nice to use a tsp. or more when making soups, chili or anything that you think could use a little zing. Very easy to get a spoonful out of the baggie. We even added some to butter and spread it on french bread when making garlic bread. Just a caution to anyone who might give this a try.....make sure to wash your utensils separately from other dishes. I washed and re-washed and rinsed and found that my knife still was hot. It must have gotten into my sponge and the next day my husband said his lips were burning when he drank coffee from his 'to go mug' on the way to work. Thanks to all for the replies..shari
Old 11-07-2002, 06:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

websites

I forgot to add a thank you for sharing the web sites, the last one with "just recipes" is amazing...is there anything that they don't have there?
Old 06-03-2003, 05:24 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hot Pepper Mustard

slb427 this is a hot mustard recipe (Sauce is not as thick as mustard) but maybe you just add ketsup instead of mustard and something for the dry mustard or omit it and just add ketsup. Anyway maybe this will help.

Hot Pepper Mustard

3 pounds Hot Peppers
1/4 cup salt
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cups water

Remove seeds from hot peppers (wear gloves)
chop fine add all other ingredients cook this mixture until tender (5 minutes)

Now you make a paste of
5 cups sugar
1 cup flour
1 Tablesppon dry mustard
1 Tablespoon Turmaric
1- 60 oz prepared mustard
mix this together then combine with the peppers and cook till thick

place in jelly jars and process for 5 minutes.

This is a good hot & spicy mustard.

Hugs and Kisses All,
Pansey
Old 06-07-2003, 01:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

here's another hot sauce recipe site...

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/hotsauce.html

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 06-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here's a "world's hottest hot sauce" recipe I found on the www:

James' World's Hottest Wings

2 lb Chicken Wings cut up Buffalo style
6 Whole sorano chili peppers
6 Whole red chili peppers
10 Whole jalapeno peppers
2 c White wine
1 Bottle Tabasco Sauce
1/2 Bottle Worcestershire sauce
10 tb Cayenne pepper
10 tb Durkee red-hot sauce
1 tb Salt
3 tb Pepper
1/2 c Vinegar
1 Fire Extinguisher
- (Optional!)
-Don't attempt to eat with an ulcer.

In a blender, carefully puree the peppers, wine, vinegar and all spices. Caution, the fumes are deadly and wear rubber gloves or your fingers will burn! Put the puree into a bowl and marinate the wings in the bowl in the fridge for 5 days. After 5 days, carefully remove the wings and broil them until cooked. Usually approx 15 mins (+/- 5 mins). Take the marinade, put it on the stove, add 1/4 cup sugar and heat to a boil. reduce until thick. Pour over wings and re-broil for about 5 more minutes, serve with soda water for maximum heat effect but keep plenty of ice water handy

. From: James Farrow http://www.farrowgalleries.com

Collected by Bert Christensen
Toronto, Ontario
email: [email protected]
http://bertc.com

= = = = =

Cheerio!