Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 02-09-2002, 09:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question What can you re-freeze?

Hi there,
Have a ? about re-freezing foods.
I know you can not re-freeze meat once it has defrosted, unless of course you cook it. Then it can be safely frozen again because it's in a different state.

But, what about anything else?

I live alone but don't like to buy in small quantities, therefore I freeze a lot of things. You name it: I freeze it!

Just wondering, though, if I can defrost, mashed potatoes for instance and then freeze again. Or the above canned veggies you were discussing. Or bread. Or cheesecake. Or anything.

Like I memtioned, I know meat is a no-no, but how about everything else?

Thank you, thank you for any light you can shed on this.
Old 02-15-2002, 02:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Re-freezing

Most food will change texture and the quality just won't be as good if frozen for a second time. I would think bread might be okay, but most vegetables, fruit, etc will probably suffer if re-frozen.

One way you can test a food though is to just re-freeze a small amount next time you have leftover mashed potatoes (or whatever), just put it in a ziplock and stick in the freezer for 2 weeks and then see what you have.

Patti in KS
Old 02-15-2002, 12:24 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

thanks, that sounds like a plan !
Old 02-17-2002, 03:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Freezer Foods

Hi. There are several excellent books on freezing food on the market. The Freezer Cooking Manual from 30 Day Gourmet is an excellent resource. This book suggests that you NOT freeze large pieces of hard boiled eggs as the texture is strange after. Only to freeze fresh fruits and vegetables after they have been blanched(altho I had great luck with blue berries on a cookie sheet and did green peppers the same way with no problems). Dont freeze stuffed poultry (dangerous), salad vegetables (become totally soggy), or deep fried foods(they loose their crunch.) Cured meats like ham or bacon should be used with in a month of freezing because they lose their flavor. They suggest that you only partially cook pasta, rice and beans as they tend to become mushy in liquid. Generally any dish you cook will freeze well, including cakes, pies and cookies. Just be sure that when you package it, that it is as airtight as possible because the air is what causes changes to taste and texture. I have frozen smashed potates and stuffing and they both were fine. I am not sure about refreezing foods like mashed potatoes that were previously frozen. I flipped thru a couple of my books and they didnt really seem to address this question. I would try to just freeze the amount you want or use, in that size package, or plan on the left overs for the next day. Hope this helped!
Old 02-18-2002, 05:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The Freezer Cooking Manual from 30 Day Gourmet

This book IS a very good resource...thank you Dishygirl!
Old 04-07-2002, 03:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Most casseroles freeze well also.