Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

I do alot of canning...

Pickled Beets,Dill Pickles,Garlic Dill Pickles,Bread and Butter Pickles...Thousand Island Relish...Red and Green Tomato Chow Chow...Jams,Jellys...I love doing all this for my family...They seem to really like them too...lol...I also do Flavored Butters...
Old 02-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Nine Year Member

I like flavored butters. Which kind do you make? After you make them up do you keep them in jars in the fridge?

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 02-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenmelon
I like flavored butters. Which kind do you make? After you make them up do you keep them in jars in the fridge?
Hi Ellen

I do almond butter and raspberry butter and I actually freeze them in jars...they are nice to have in the winter...
Old 02-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
YUM rasberry butter sounds good!!!I make honey butter and also do a lot of canning. I get soooo sick of seeing tomatoes when they come in and green beans. I also can different kinds of soups, venison mincemeat, baked beans and chicken. It's nice to see everything that you have done when the weather is so cold outside
Old 02-16-2007, 08:00 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Does anybody do any home canning

Ido home made applebutter and ketchup, and do home made spagetti sauce..I don not put the hamburg in it until I get ready to use sauce...Plus my beans,pickles, beets....
Old 02-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Nine Year Member

BBB - thanks!

sweet pea - I know I did chili one year and the meat got too done, I must have processed the canner too long.

Haley's Grandmom - I wondered about canning the venison. I have seen it and tasted it a long time ago and liked it. But dh likes to wrap and freeze his. What part of the deer do you can or do you do all of it? The meat I saw was pinky looking and in chunks and floating in some clearish liquid.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I make the sauce first by canning it...Then ready for sauce I frt the hamburger....The deer meat , I make beef jerky..I freeze some of the other... I can not wait until spring so I can do my pickles { bread and butter ones}
Old 02-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Nine Year Member

I am definitely going to get my seed order in (over on gardening threads). Your pickle comment made me so hungry for pickled things!

We do jerky too. I think way back a year ago I posted a picture of my dh and his jerky smoker in our red kitchen.

I love refrigerator pickles and have been growing dill for about 5 years now.

For a couple years, my dh and I made our own sauerkraut. Our 5 gallon bucket was from the drywall compound, we scrubbed it well.