? about canning tomatoes

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • vinegar/lemon juice
    I love to can tomatoes! I especially love making salsa. It is so easy and easier yet if you use one of the salsa mixes available at most stores that sell the lids. It sure beats the prices at the supermarket as well as the taste!!!!!

Old recipes do not call for vinegar or lemon juice to can tomatoes. The reason for the addition is that the newer varieties are lower in acid than the heritage varieties - especially the plum type like Roma. The addition is not really necessary if you pressure can the tomatoes for the proper amount of time. If you use the Boiling Water Bath method, I would strongly suggest the addition of vinegar. That small amount of white vinegar does not alter the taste but does kick the acid content up enough to keep it safe.

Home canning is really safe, but please follow directions carefully and do not take any short cuts. I have gone to pressure canning everything except pickles. Besides being safer, it cuts down on time and steam in the kitchen.
  • canning tomatos
    Canning tomatos is so very very easy. We have been canning since I was in 4th grade and we have never never had a problem with anything. I was in 5th grade and I was making jelly and jam and to this day I still make and can. It is such a reward to open up something you have canned. Especially in the winter time. And wow does my family love it too. They even get involved with it too. So don't let anyone tell you not to can it is safe as long as you are careful and read how to do things. Good luck and enjoy the fun of it all.
  • canning
    Reidl was right about some of todays tomato varieties are lower in acid and adding vinegar or lemon juice is recommended . I have used lemon juice without noticing the taste in the tomato juice.

I'm not sure where you live, but here in IA we have county extention offices. They have all of the current information on safest methods to can or preserve food.

It is also important to inspect your jar of canned juice before using it. Always make sure the seal is still good. Look at the jar for an off color and always smell the juice after opening. If you ever have any doubts DO NOT use it.

I have been canning for 25 years without problems.

Good Luck