Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 08-07-2002, 06:00 AM
BoggsZ

Question cannning tomatoes

Hi everyone. I have lost of ripe fresh tomatoes and I'v already made tom soup and whole tomatoes and canned them. I am looking for something different to make and can with them. I have plenty of juice already so I don't need that either. Please if you have any good recipies let me know and share them with me.
Thanks a bunch
Old 08-11-2002, 08:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Canning Tomatoes

Salsa is another great idea. Also, I slice them and put them on top of a pizza. It is soooo yummy!
Old 08-11-2002, 01:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Tomatoes?????

This is my Grandmother's Chili sause recipe...I just love it!!!!!

GRANDMA’S CHILI SAUCE

15 RIPE TOMATOES (WASHED AND PEELED) APPROX 12 CUPS
4 MEDIUM ONIONS
2 STALKS OF CELERY
1 CUP VINEGAR
2 TBSPS SALT
1 ¾ CUP OF WHITE SUGAR
1 TSP OF CINNAMON
1 TSP GROUND CLOVES

CHOP TOMATOES AND ONIONS VERY FINELY;
CHOP CELERY…ADD REMAINING INGREDIENTS.

BOIL FOR 1 ¾ HOURS, OR UNTIL DESIRED CONSISTENCY IS REACHED.
AMOUNT WILL REDUCE BY ABOUT 1/3

POUR INTO STERILIZED JARS AND SEAL.

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND, AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE
Old 08-11-2002, 04:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Another great idea is spaghetti sauce. You can buy mixes that contain the seasonings or just mix it together yourself. That way you don't have to buy the store stuff with all the preservatives and such. I made salsa last year, and that was really good. Also, you can can soup with tomatoes.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Tomatoes!!!!

I wish I had some nice fresh ripe tomatoes right now. Everything around here is awfull. When we finally do have nice tomatoes I make my own Spaghetti sauce. Amandathemom is right. It taste's so much better then the store bought sauces. I just put a variety of spices, sugar, bay leaves, tomato paste, tomato sauce (hunts) and some oil. I use a food processor and pulverize tomatoes skins and all. Just simmer for an hour or more. This depends on how much you want it to thicken. You don't have to waite that long. I then pour the hot sauce into clean canning jars and seal. Turn jars upside down and let cool. This will seal the jars. No hot water baths! Just make sure that the sauce is HOT when your putting it into the jars. I don't really measure anything. Just go by taste. I usually use a full bushel of tomatoes. This gives me enough spaghetti sauce for the whole year and I even shared some with my folks.

Good luck

Old 08-12-2002, 04:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

HI, How about stewed tomatoes. This is the recipe that I use.

4 quarts chopped, peeled, cored tomatoes
1 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot. Cover; cook 10 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking. Ladle hot vegetables into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Adjust two - piece caps. Process pints 15 minutes, quarts 20 minute, at 10 pounds preasure in steam-pressure canner. Yield: about 7 pints or 3 quarts.

I don't have a preasure canner so I add1 tablespoon lemon juice to each quart. I give a hot water bath and I double the time for that. I haven't had problems with the tomatoes going bad doing this. That is why you use the lemon juice to give it more acid.

To use the stewed tomatoes, I heat them to boiling and add macaroni or some other pasta to them. My family and the kids I babysit love them.

Hope you enjoy them also.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

There is a web site called "Homecanning.com" that you can go to. Also you can call the 800 number for Ball or Kerr canning jars and they have recipes too.
Old 04-26-2003, 04:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Canning Salsa

Does anyone have a recipe for salsa and the canning instructions? My DH had someone tell him that you couldn't can salsa, but I've heard about it before. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2003, 10:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I love canned tomatoes. Use it alot in cooking. Add it to soups for Spaghetti Sauce, Salsa, Casseroles. My favorite is just to cook up macaroni and add a can to it. It is that simple.Spice however you feel.