Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.63 average.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

That's very interesting. I've made apple butter before does that also apply here?

I did have my doubts about the pumpkin, I think I'll toss it.

How do the commercial people( Libby) process the pumpkin in the can so that it's edible?

I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Laurie, apples are a high acid food, since they are a fruit. Apple butter is fine, due to the acid content. High acid foods may be safely water bath canned. Pumpkin is a low acid food. Foods with a ph level of more than 4.6 must be pressure canned. But, with the pureed pumpkin, it gets too dense and the heat cannot safely penetrate to the center of the jar enough to destroy all the botulism spores. That is why chunks of pumpkin may be pressure canned, because you lightly pack them in the jars, then fill the rest of the jar with water. Then they can be safely pressure canned to destroy any botulism spores.

Safe canning of foods is based on different things, the main ones, density of the food, and acid or ph level. There are other factors,too.
The USDA used to publish a recipe for home canning pumpkin butter, but with reports of botulism, the recipe was retested, found to be unsafe, and pulled in 1994, I think was the year. You may find all sorts of recipes still around, but unless a preserving recipe comes from a reliable source, such as the USDA or Ball company, we do not recommend canning it. You would be amazed at how many recipes and methods are in books and on the computer that are unsafe.

Learning about all this has sure been an eyeopener to me. I really find it so fascinating.

This time of year folks want to "can" breads and cakes in jars. Again, this is very dangerous, like the pumpkin butter. It is too dense, the ph level too high, and not even canned, but just a lid put on them. (You can freeze them.)

The commercial industry has machinery and also chemical preservatives to add to their foods to make them safe. We can't duplicate those things in our home kitchens. That is one reason people like to can their own foods, to get away from the preservatives.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:26 PM

Flash Freezing

Can anyone tell me what is meant by "Flash Freezing"? Thanks for any help
Old 01-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Flash freezing is freezing foods at an extremely low temperature that the food freezes almost instantly. It is used a lot with fresh fish in the commercial industry.
So, we can't flash freeze at home with our regular freezers.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:44 PM

Thank you. Someone on the What's for dinner thread had mentioned flash freezing & we didn't know what she meant by that. Thanks again for letting me know what it was.