Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 02-21-2002, 03:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

does anyone store food

I buy all my baking supplies, rice, grains etc. in bulk at a resturaunt supply store ( cash n carry)(AG store)it is alot cheaper than Costco.I also shop at Winco Foods.Anyways I usually use any kind of container coffee cans,milk jugs,I look for items that I can reuse,Mayo in gallon jars,Pickles in gallon jars.I divide up my bulk things and freeze with the lid on loosely.then take out of freezer with the cap off for a day so moisture doesn't stay in there.We have dry air here so moisture isn't a problem.Put the lid on and store on shelf.The freezing kills and bug eggs that are naturely in food.sorry so long winded. ~~Sue Washington state~~
Old 03-18-2002, 10:52 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

carmen, thanks for the idea of separating the mac-n-cheese. I keep wanting to buy lots of it and store it, but am afraid of attracting weevils(?) and mice. I was invaded once before and don't want to deal with it ever again lol! I have several large airtight jars that will work great for this!!
Old 04-07-2002, 11:09 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

RE:Does Anyone Store Food?

I won't call myself an expert but I have been doing this for over a year now. The most important lesson is to buy what your family eats. If your family doesn't eat wheat then don't store it. I began this out of necessity. Following an accident I was left visually impaired and unable to drive. With 3 very active boys and a very busy husband I found myself stranded and without the ability to just run to the store when I needed something. After 3 years of crying and coming to terms with these limitations I decided to get off my duff and do something about it so I cleaned out what use to be my craft room and bought 4-5' metal shelves and got busy. Every week I'd hit the sales hard on those items that we used often. If there was a limit then I brought the whole family and even the neighbors kids if the sale was really great. No light is very important in storage so I covered each of my shelving units with velcro and black heavy plastic.
Old 04-07-2002, 11:28 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

I learned to can my meals with the use of my pressure cooker and how to use a dehydrator. These two techniques of preserving food are absolutely wonderful. I obtained large buckets ranging from 1 to 5 gallon sizes from cake shops, deli's and restaurants for free, just for asking. Make sure that it is food grade plastic and not a bucket they had cleaners in.

P.S.-Bay leaves are a wonderful and natural deterent for bugs and rodents in your food storage area.

I used my regular shopping lists as guides for how much my family needs. For instance I knew that we used a 9 pack of Charmin Ultra Double Rolls toilet tissue each month therefore I knew that I needed 12 of these for 1 year. I did the same with everything from food, cleaning supplies and toiletries to clothing.

My store may have developed out of necessity but I must admit it is wonderful. I'll never have to experience the humiliation of asking a male neighbor to drive me to the store to get feminine napkins again.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I keep my grocery costs down to $125 Canadian by buying when things are on sale and stocking up. The mixes site is a great help. I made the alfredo sauce mix and they love it. Canning is a must to keep costs low.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:36 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I agree about canning. Granted, not everyone can do it cheaply--a big part of keeping the costs down is growing your own stuff. But I can't tell you how much I've saved over the past two years, growing and canning my veggies. If you can't can( --say that three times fast lol), freezing may be a better option.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yes, I have a big freezer. In it I store tomatoes (when I have way too many to can in one day), apples, peaches, ripe bananas, berries for pies, and some homemade apple juice (that my husband and son just love). I prefer it made into hot apple cider that my daughter and I prefer instead of tea or coffee. Of course all meat goes in there especially when hams and roasts go on sale. When turkeys are on sale we buy 2, it is so versitile. My Mom always shares a deer with me and that is used for deer jerky and bones for the dogs. I have 5 big ones. I will make up pie shells and freeze them ahead during the holidays, then I have a fresh pie in about 1 hour when needed. I also freeze cookies that my kids give away in Christmas baskets to friends, family and people that don't have much. We include in the baskets homemade jams and butters, a loaf of homemade bread, and maybe homemade candles. I could not do it without a freezer and canning. I don't know how it is going to be this year because I can't walk very well with my new disability. My daughter wants to try it by herself this year, she is 11 now and has a heart of gold.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:23 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

thezoo; Please teach your daughter the art of cooking, storing and preserving food. My mother was always too busy with 6 kids and I had to learn most of my skills on my own. This is a gift that she will treasure for a lifetime. Short of being physically capable of handling the larger canning pots she can do everything else. Kids are like sponges at this age and they absorb everything so well. Go for it!
Old 05-07-2003, 05:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

She has been in the kitchen with me since she could walk. Last year my 2 kids won a cooking contest that all the other competitors were adults. They came in 2nd. I am very proud. They won with our Pumpkin Butter that I have posted in one of these sites, check my past posts. They did everything by themselves including growing the pumpkins. It tastes like having Pumpkin Pie on toast.mmmm
Old 05-07-2003, 06:06 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

thezoo, your daughter sounds terrific. I just started not long ago with freezing but as for canning I dont know that I will ever do to much of that. I remember my grandma doing though my favorite were the canned Queen Anne Cherries, Strawbery Jam! She grew up on a farm so she has the know how of how to do it all. I never learned which is sad because I know she wanted me to at the time though I thought it was stupid....Another thing to kick yourself over lol!
Leighann