How to cool food in a small kitchen???

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi!!!

I really like the idea of OAMC and I practice it too. I have my one copy of "Frozen Assets Lite & Easy". But there is one big problem - how to cool the food.

I live in a small studio apartment with a tiny kitchen. I can't cool the food in the sink because I need it for cleaning bowles etc. And I can't put the food in my little refrigerator because it is packed with ingredients that I am going to cook. In the winter I know that people but food out on their balconys but I don't have one. Can anyone help me??

/Asa in Sweden
  • Hi Asa- Think about usung a styrofoam cooler filled with freezer bags of frozen water to keep your food fresh while cooling. It is a small substitute for the refrigerator. We have used this type and a larger cooler bought in either a sport's equipment store or a place like Target or Wal-MArt.
    Good luck--June Lee
  • Hi Asa
    How about using the bathtub, bathroom sink, or shower stall. Hope this helps. barb
  • Curious or just nosy?!
    Okay, you got me what's OAMC?

Sorry if I'm just being nosy but I'm always on the look out for new ideas and great "back to basics" ideas that have stood the test of time.

Thanks
    patti
  • Patty,
    OAMC stands for "Once A Month Cooking"
    Barb <><
  • Sorry Patti 'bout spelling your name wrong. Barb
  • Thanks!
    I knew it sounded familiar!

Thanks ever so...
    patti

P.S. Don't worry; I spell my name differently all the time!
  • Could you get a cooler and pack it with ice? Then you could put the food on top of the ice till its cool, then add the next batch.
  • What a great idea!
    I've done exactly this when cooking with a friend at her kitchen, years ago. We have a big cooler and used that to store the meats and veggies that had to be refrigerated until use.

We also used it to store the stuff we'd already cooked until we got it into the freezer.

As far as just setting things down to cool off before you freeze them, heck, just set'em on the floor! Why not? You've got towels, pot holders, etc. to protect your carpet or tile. Just set them anywhere you can until they're ready for the freezer. If you're freezing in ziplock bags, use cookie sheets to lay stuff on until you're ready to throw it all in the freezer.

Hope this helps! I've been OMAC for about 10 years now, and I've learned tons that I love to share.

jen in california
  • A big THANK YOU to all my sisters in soul food!!!

I really liked the idea of having one or two coolers filled with ice in freezer bags. I will definetely practice that! You have all made my day Just let me know if I can help you in any way!

/Asa in Sweden