Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 07-14-2002, 09:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

How to cool food in a small kitchen???

Hi!!!

I really like the idea of OAMC and I practice it too. I have my one copy of "Frozen Assets Lite & Easy". But there is one big problem - how to cool the food.

I live in a small studio apartment with a tiny kitchen. I can't cool the food in the sink because I need it for cleaning bowles etc. And I can't put the food in my little refrigerator because it is packed with ingredients that I am going to cook. In the winter I know that people but food out on their balconys but I don't have one. Can anyone help me??

/Asa in Sweden
Old 07-20-2002, 08:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Asa- Think about usung a styrofoam cooler filled with freezer bags of frozen water to keep your food fresh while cooling. It is a small substitute for the refrigerator. We have used this type and a larger cooler bought in either a sport's equipment store or a place like Target or Wal-MArt.
Good luck--June Lee
Old 07-20-2002, 08:43 AM
Barb5

Lightbulb

Hi Asa
How about using the bathtub, bathroom sink, or shower stall. Hope this helps. barb
Old 07-20-2002, 09:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Curious or just nosy?!

Okay, you got me what's OAMC?

Sorry if I'm just being nosy but I'm always on the look out for new ideas and great "back to basics" ideas that have stood the test of time.

Thanks
patti
Old 07-20-2002, 09:23 AM
Barb5

Patty,
OAMC stands for "Once A Month Cooking"
Barb <><
Old 07-20-2002, 09:25 AM
Barb5

Sorry Patti 'bout spelling your name wrong. Barb
Old 07-20-2002, 09:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Thanks!

I knew it sounded familiar!

Thanks ever so...
patti

P.S. Don't worry; I spell my name differently all the time!
Old 07-20-2002, 09:46 AM
Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Groupie

Could you get a cooler and pack it with ice? Then you could put the food on top of the ice till its cool, then add the next batch.

"Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements."
- Marcel Boulestin

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 07-20-2002, 10:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What a great idea!

I've done exactly this when cooking with a friend at her kitchen, years ago. We have a big cooler and used that to store the meats and veggies that had to be refrigerated until use.

We also used it to store the stuff we'd already cooked until we got it into the freezer.

As far as just setting things down to cool off before you freeze them, heck, just set'em on the floor! Why not? You've got towels, pot holders, etc. to protect your carpet or tile. Just set them anywhere you can until they're ready for the freezer. If you're freezing in ziplock bags, use cookie sheets to lay stuff on until you're ready to throw it all in the freezer.

Hope this helps! I've been OMAC for about 10 years now, and I've learned tons that I love to share.

jen in california
Old 07-20-2002, 05:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

A big THANK YOU to all my sisters in soul food!!!

I really liked the idea of having one or two coolers filled with ice in freezer bags. I will definetely practice that! You have all made my day Just let me know if I can help you in any way!

/Asa in Sweden