Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 07-02-2002, 12:07 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pickle relish

Does anyone have a good recipe for canning pickle relish?
Old 07-08-2002, 11:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question

do you mean a green cucumber relish?...such as for burgers and things?

i make my own from an old recipe that i adapted a bit and it used to be a consistent first prize winner when i used to show at the local fair...

if that's what you're looking for, i can post the recipe

carol
Old 07-08-2002, 03:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi! Actually I should have put I'm looking for a dill pepper relish. We have ended up with tons of sweet green and bananna peppers, and I don't know what to do with them. Thanks,
Old 07-09-2002, 01:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Carol, I would love to have the pickle relish recipe. I have tried for years to find one we like, but keep coming up with failures. That's too much time and effort wasted so I've quit, but I'd like to give yours a try.

Thanks,
Linda
Old 07-11-2002, 06:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sweet Pickle Relish Recipe

I have a recipe for a tasty Sweet Pickle Relish- I think I got it from the Ball Blue Book: Guide to Home Canning, Freezing and Dehydration.
1 Qt. chopped cucumbers (about 4 medium sized)
2 cup chopped onions (about 2 medium sized)
1 cup EACH chopped green AND red pepper
1/4 cup canning salt
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp celery seed
1 Tbsp mustard seed
2 cup cider vinegar
Combine cucumbers, peppers and onions in a large bowl; sprinkle with salt and cover with cold water. Let stand 2 hours. Combine sugar, spices and vinegar in large saucepot. Bring to boil. Add drained vegetables; simmer 10 minutes. Pack hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust 2 piece caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water canner. Yields about 8 half pints.

My family loves it- I should've made more. I don't know that I've ever come across a recipe for Dill Pickle Relish, though.

Have you tried searchingthe web for it?
Happy Canning!

Michelle
Old 07-11-2002, 07:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pepper Onion Relish

Clueless,
You could try this website http://www.recipesource.com/misc/can...0/rec0039.html
I typed "Banana" peppers into my search engine to find recipes- I guess they are also called "Hungarian" peppers.

I also found a recipe in the Ball Blue Book for "Pickled Peppers" (it doesn't specifiy sweet green pepper, but I'm sure you could substitue the them in).

4 qts long red, green or yellow peppers (Hungarian, Banana or other varieties)
1 1/2 cups canning salt
4 qts plus 2 cups water, divided
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp prepared horseradish
2 cloves garlic
10 cups vinegar

Cut two small slits in each pepper. Dissolve salt in 4 quarts water. Pour salt water mixture over peppers and let stand 12-18 hours in a cool place. Drain; rinse and drain thoroughly. Combine 2 cups water and remaining ingredients in a large saucepot. Simmer 15 minutes. Remove garlic cloves. Bring pickling liquid to a boil. Pack peppers into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Ladle hot liquid over peppers, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process half-pints and pints 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: about 16 half-pints or 8 pints.

I hope this helps: we wouldn't want all those peppers to go to waste!! Good luck!

Michelle
Old 07-11-2002, 08:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

dill pickle relish

Michelle, Thanks, I am glad to get your recipe. I just thought that because you can buy it at the grocer's that I should be able to find a pepper relish recipe that used just dill instead of the sweet kind. I didn't realize this would be so difficult. Thanks again, and have a great day.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:41 AM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

chuckle RELISH RECIPE/ request

dxlifer...I would love to have your relish recipe, if you don't mind giving it out?? It surely has to be good, if it was a prize winner!! Thanx, in advance. Am hoping you get a chance to read this.
Carol Ann
autumnmum 2002
Old 07-13-2002, 05:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hey Carol Ann,

Look back about three posts and you will find that recipe. I'd already asked for it. I think I'm going to really like it since I didn't see the word "tumeric". Don't know why, but don't like the taste of that in my pickles.

Linda
Old 07-13-2002, 05:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi clueless,

I have a recipe for Dill Pickle Slices, and I don't see why you couldn't make it into relish.

Dill Pickle Slices

Cucumbers
Garlic cloves
1 qt. vinegar
2 qt. water
3/4 c. salt
1/2 box dillseed

Wash cucumbers and cut crosswise in about 1/2-inch slices. Place 2 garlic cloves in bottom of each sterilized jar. Pack cucumbers in jar. Place 2 garlic cloves on top of cucumbers. Combine vinegar, water, salt, and dillseed in saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil. Pour over cucumbers. Place about1/2 teaspoon dillseed in each jar. Place sterlilized lids and bands on jars. Screw bands as tight as possible.

This recipe comes fromCanning, Preserving and Freezing Cookbook: Favorite Recipes of Home Economics Teachers (1975).
It came from Mae Mays from Tutt Jr. HS, Augusta, Georgia.

Instead of cutting the cucumbers in slices I would use a food grinder. If you don't want Kosher Dill Relish simply leave out the garlic. I think the 1/2 teaspoon of dillseed that you add at the end is from the mixture you boiled.

Hope this will help.

Linda