FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/food-safety-keeping-food-fresh/)
-   -   Pickle relish (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/food-safety-keeping-food-fresh/2565-pickle-relish.html)

autumnmum 2002 07-13-2002 07:33 AM

relish recipe....

ROFLMAO :cat:
:cat: ROFLMAO

Hello Linda,
Thanx for the recipes. They all are so simple to do, I don't know why I've never^^ done one. I eat alot of pickle~anything. LOL

Carol Ann
autumnmum 2002

spacedup 07-15-2002 01:01 AM

Dill Pickles/Relish

Thank you linda. I may try that some day. I have the pickles in a jar but, was to dumb to think of just chopping them up for relish.
I was thinking they needed more. lol I could add anything I want in there, right.

I'm not a canner. :(

danstigerangel 07-15-2002 10:56 AM

Has anyone tried to make refrigerator pickles? I saw a recipe and was wondering if anyone could tell me how they came out!:-:

autumnmum 2002 07-15-2002 11:13 AM

Refridgerator Pickles..

:daisy::cat:

danstigerangel....
I had a neighbor, from the ole neighborhood, that talked of these refridgerator pickles all the time. ^^ She loved them.^^ I never did ask for the recipe ~ never thought I'd be wanting to make them. So, if you could share with me the recipe you have, I'd love it. ^^ Thanx bunches...
Carol Ann
autumnmum 2002:cat::cat:

danstigerangel 07-16-2002 06:31 AM

autumnmum 2002

Hi!
I found the recipe, and here it is!

Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles
4 cups sugar
4 cups vinegar
1/2 cup pickling salt
1 1/3 tsp. turmeric
1 1/3 tsp celery seed
1 1/3 tsp mustard
cucumbers, sliced thin
4 medium onions, sliced
Mix sugar, vinegar, and spices in a bowl. Sterilize 4 quart jars. Slice cuces to fill the jars, and add onions. Stir the sugar mix and pour over the cucumbers. Put lids on jars and refrigerate 5 days before using.

There it is!! I haven't tried it yet, but I am planning on it!
Lauri:-:

autumnmum 2002 07-16-2002 12:07 PM

Hi Lauri.....

:daisy::daisy:
:cat: :cat: ^^ ^^

Hi Lauri!!

Think that recipe sounds good. Am going to try and fit it in this coming week end. How 'bout you?? When do you think you might try to make it?

There are so many good sounding recipes, I'd never get to do them all.

Thanx, again, for your quick reply. ^^

TTFN

Carol Ann
autumnmum 2002 :daisy:

danstigerangel 07-16-2002 05:57 PM

autumnmum 2002

Hi Carol Ann!

:daisy: I think I may try the recipe over the weekend. If not, early next week. I'll keep you posted and let you know how anf if they turn out!!

I also have so many recipes to try. The internet is one BIG cookbook!

Well, hope to hear from you soon!!

Lauri:-:

autumnmum 2002 07-16-2002 06:46 PM

Hello Lauri....

:daisy::cat:

Hello, again.......I just love pickles....any kind. I love going to these fast food places, with my grandchilren. Since there are two of them that don't like pickles......guess who gets them?? I'm anxious to try your recipe. I will have to have "will~power", tho. Waiting 5 days...don't know:confused: Will let you know.
TTFN
Carol Ann
autumnmum 2002:daisy:

cherianderson 07-17-2002 02:35 PM

Pepper Relish

Yield: 6 pints

12 red peppers
12 green peppers
12 onions
2 quarts boiling water
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups sugar
3 tsp pickling salt

Chop the peppers and onions. Cover with boiling water. Let stand 5 minutes and drain.
Combine the vinegar, sugar and salt. Add the vegetables and boil for 5 minutes. Pour into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal. Process in boiling bath canner for 5 minutes.

Peppers can also be frozen unblanched for later use in relishes. Wash and dry thoroughly, cut in halves, remove the seeds and tray freeze. Pour into freezer bags.

From the great (!) book "Pickles & Relishes: 150 recipes Apples to Zucchini. http://www.mysimon.com/msrch/index.j...ice&dir=i&pg=1

emajmom 07-26-2002 05:08 PM

SWEET PEPPERS.....

THIS RECIPE TAKES NO TIME AT ALL...IVE MADE 3 BATCHES JUST TODAY......AND IT USES PEPPERS*

CORN RELISH

4 CUPS OF FROZEN CORN
1 CUPS CHOPPED CELERY
1 CUP CHOPPED RED SWEET PEPPER *
1 CUP GREEN SWEET PEPPER *
1 CUP CHOPPED ONION
1 CUPS SUGAR
2 TSP CELERY SEED
3 CUPS VINEGAR
2 TBSP DRY MUSTURD
2 TSP TUMERIC
1 CUPS WATER

In a large pan, combine corn, celery, red peppers, green peppers, onion, sugar, celery seed and vinegar.
Cover pan and bring to a boil; uncover, boil 5 minutes.
Combine mustard and turmeric with water. Stir into vegetable mixture; return to boil; uncovered 15 minutes, stir occasionally.
Ladle into hot sterilized jars, remove air, and seal.
Replace jars in hot water bath and boil for 15 minutes

Cool 24 hours, and store in a cool dark place.