Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 06-10-2002, 03:46 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great, thanks! I made burritos tonight and froze the extras. I'm hoping to build up a little at a time.

I appreciate all your help.

Blessings,

Carok
Old 06-10-2002, 05:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My DM makes extra of her meals and makes up dinners for my grandpa. He is 89 and lives independently except some support like that. It works out great. She got some generic brand at the Dollar Store.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yes I have done this once. I bought those split tupparwear like glad I think. I made low fat creamy spinach soup and low fat maniconi(sp) I just put the 2 togther. I think I had like 10 dinners to grab for lunch. I need to get back to that.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

It's nearly a record! I've cooked four nights straight! My son has company in town that is accustomed to having meals at home so my son is eating at home too. I like to cook when there's someone to cook for. Somehow I've never learned to cook for two. At any rate, because I've done all this cooking I now have things to put into the freezer. Unfortunately with the week I've had, I've not had time to get to the market to buy the plates. I like these ideas, though. Keep 'em coming!

Many thanks to everyone,

Carok
Old 06-30-2002, 09:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I found the perfect containers!

Hi All,

I went to Family Dollar and found plastic containers with three partitions and lids for $1 each. Then I went to Wal-Mart and found Rubbermade "Take Alongs", 4 for $2. They both work well and it was grand to be able to pull out a tv dinner. Thanks for all your input. Now I could use ideas on what to cook next!

Blessings,

Carok
Old 06-30-2002, 11:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I make goolash, wich is simply chicken, cream of musroom soup, noodles and Peas. Meatloaf, anything that you and your family like will freeze well and you can enjoy them later. I do this for my 24 yr. old son. He uses them for the nights when I make something that he does not like. I need to buy some more this week so I can make more. Someone gave us a freezer so now we have 2 and I can do more with that.

Jackie

Old 07-01-2002, 09:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great idea! I had wondered if noodles would freeze well. Now that I think of it though, the commercial TV dinners are full of them.

I think I'll make a meatloaf tonight and freeze extra. Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 07-01-2002, 09:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Carok:

You can freeze anything you want to. Just make sure your plates are well sealed. If not it will be a waste of time because they will get freezer burn and have to be thrown out.

Jackie
[email protected]

If your looking for something special just write me. I have several books on cooking in bulk for freezing.

Old 07-01-2002, 05:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great! Thanks so much. Tonight my husband asked for rabbit and rice. (Diced rabbit in rice with gravy). I made too much, as usual and so will stick that in the freezer. Have you found any solutions to labeling things in the freezer? I know you can write on the freezer bags but I don't know a good way to label these rigid plastic containers without the condensation fading the lettering or the paper labels coming off. How do you handle this problem?

Many thanks,

Carok
Old 07-01-2002, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Carok:

I use freezer tape. You can write right on the bowl itself most of the time. The problem I have with that is that I have trouble getting the writing off. (Use Black,Blue or Red Sharpe pens with the med. tip.)
Jackie the nut