Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 06-04-2002, 07:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question Storing Wheat

Hi Everyone,

I have been considering storing wheat(the whole grain, not flour) and am wondering how to go about it.

What sort of container is right? How long can I keep it? Would the basement be an acceptable place to store it? Do you know where to buy the correct container?

Thanks for your help!
Jenna
Old 06-07-2002, 09:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

If you are talking about whole wheatberries, they can be stored for a LONG time and without refrigeration. Once it's ground, then you need to keep it refrigerated or frozen, as the wheatgerm oil can go rancid. You could keep it in the basement, but in a sealed container to keep bugs out.

Rani
Old 06-14-2002, 09:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Jenna,
I store my wheat in 5 gal. buckets that can be purchase from Home Depot or any hardware store.

I put 1/3 cup of dry ice in the bottom of the bucket. CAUTION: Be sure to wear gloves! I purchase it at my grocery store and keep in wrapped in a cooler until ready to use otherwise it will dissipate. The dry ice sucks the moisture out of the container & seals it tight.

Then I place either carboard or a shopping bag cut into a circle to fit into the bucket over the dry ice. Pour the wheat in. Put the lid on but not all the way. The burp it every time the lid appears to be popping up. You'll have to do this a few times over a period of about 30 minutes. The lid will start to draw down onto the bucket, then I use a mallet to lock it down all the way. This prevents moisture & bugs from invading your wheat.

Hope this helps.
Victoria
Old 06-14-2002, 06:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have purchased wheat that was canned in gallon cans--you have to help can it--from the LDS Cannery. They have them scattered around the country. The labels say that you can store it this was for 20 years. Mine is 5 years old and still good. They quit letting non-members participate for a while before Y2K. Contact the local Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and see if you can go with them to the cannery. They have lots of other things available to can too. Each can had an Oxygen absorber packet it in.
Also, the whole wheat needs to ground and used the same day. Everything I read says that the ground whole wheat loses 90% of the vitamins within the first 24 hours--even if you keep it in the fridge.
Di
Old 08-19-2002, 05:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a whisper mill and grind my own wheat and make bread. I buy the wheat in 40 lb buckets. u can buy a special lid to go on the bucket after u open it. I use the wheat until it's gone. usually lasts about 5 or 6 months. no need to use dry ice that I know of.