Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 06-04-2002, 05:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

frozen cookie dough

I love the convenience of frozen cookie dough~~especially ones that are already in pieces but it costs way to much. Can I freeze my own cookie dough? Do I have to do any thing to it? How long is it good for after I freeze it? Thanks

Peggy
Old 06-04-2002, 05:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here is what I found out:

http://allrecipes.com/cb/kh/cookie/freezing/default.asp

Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

wow was that fast!! and exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks much!!

Peggy
Old 06-07-2002, 09:34 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

about freezing cookie dough

I am a pastry chef. I make a big batch of dough, and make it all up into cookie balls on a cookie sheet (line the cookie sheet with waxed paper or plastic wrap,) almost but not quite touching each other. Then I freeze it, and when frozen, put all the little balls into a thick plastic bag. Or wrap them well with plastic wrap and put in a plastic container. Then, you are ready to bake any amount of cookies you want, even just 2 or 3 in a toaster oven! That way, you'll always have fresh cookies on hand without wasting any. Professionals use small ice cream scoops to shape the cookies into such perfect round circles, and the scoops are easier to use when making lots of cookies at a time.

The article the previous reply refers to is right about storing it well-wrapped so that they don't start to smell like freezer. I'm told freezer paper works better than most plastic wrap, but I haven't tried it yet, since at work, I don't make more cookies than I'll use in a month. (My sister and I used to make cookies this way and end up eating the whole batch over time from the freezer without ever having baked any! This was before eggs had salmonella; now I have to buy pasteurized eggs from Trader Joe's if I want to eat it raw.)
Old 06-07-2002, 09:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this for me. I appreciate it. Have you frozen many types of cookies? Which have worked best for you?

Peggy
Old 06-07-2002, 10:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

types of cookie dough to freeze

I have frozen all types of cookie dough - chocolate chip, shortbread, Mexican wedding cakes, oatmeal, even one type where you beat the dough for 20 minutes until it is all light and fluffy with air - and no loss of quality (that one surprised me.) After all, cookies such as pinwheel and checkerboard cookies (icebox cookies) slice best when they're frozen, anyways. I haven't ever done bar cookies this way, just drop cookies and rolled cookies (and sliced icebox cookies.) If you are going to make them into a shape, like peanut butter cookies with the fork prints on them or thumbprint cookies, it doesn't matter whether you do it before freezing or after.

I just love being able to take out a few at a time and bake them (if I don't eat them first.) They taste so much better than the store dough, because the store ones are usually made with shortening instead of butter or margarine (cheaper and takes longer to turn rancid.) Also, the great thing is that it's much less work than baking a whole batch of cookies, because you can make the dough one day, clean up, and then cook when you have the time. The frozen cookies take very little time to thaw once you put them on your prepared cookie sheet, about as long as it will take to preheat the oven.

I can definitely taste when cookies have been frozen AFTER they've been baked. Why bother?!
Old 06-07-2002, 06:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you. Looks like I am going to have to go hunting some more cookie recipes. My daughter is going to love the fact that we will have cookies in the freezer I have never heard of a cookie that you beat for 20 minutes. what is it called?

Thanks again
Peggy
Old 06-07-2002, 08:01 PM
kellyandkids

Lightbulb Think outside the freezer box!

We all just read about maximizing our freezer investments. So filling that space with frozen cookies blobs isn't that efficient.

I use master mixes: to a certain weight or measure of premixed dry dough ingrediants I add eggs, vanilla, and water, then the chocolate chips or whatever and bake. I don't even mess up my beaters; this is good exercise for the biceps.

I make up a lot of dough 'starter' much in the same way as 'once-a-month' cooking. My kitchen gets messed up once. The starter is good for 6 weeks on the shelf or I pop it into the freezer or frig -- in a form that takes up a lot less space.
Old 06-08-2002, 03:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just downloaded some homemade slice and bake cookie recipes.You could freeze in whatever size roll you like. If you want me to post the recipes let me know.
Charleeta
Old 06-08-2002, 03:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

;-) great question Sunflower - and I think it's a great idea too, so I'm going to try it. Would be curious to know how yours turn out.