Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 06-08-2002, 11:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

frozen cookie dough

Sunflower 23

You most certainly can freeze cookie dough. And very well. I keep cartons of cookie dough for oatmeal, chocolate, lemon, coconut, pecan and any other that seems easy in my freezer all the time. Homemade dough is so cheap, and if you get an assembly line going, is fast to make. But where this idea really shines, is when someone says "gee, I'd like to have a cookie now." You open the freezer, pull out a carton, slice off as many cookies as you want, slide the tray in the oven, and 10-20 minutes later you have fresh, non-chemical-laden, homemade cookies. And no dishes to wash except for the tray.

You can use any container, but I find cool whip cartons, 1, 2, or 3 pound margarine cartons, any rigid plastic container works fine. You can prevent dehydration of the dough by sealing the top surface with plastic wrap before putting the lid on. It isn't necessary to put in a rigid container, you can place dough on plastic wrap, roll into a cylinder, wrap, then freeze. If you prefer to cook frozen, this is probably an easier way of cutting since your basic shape is already there.

The method that works best for me is to pull out all ingredients, and measure all the dry ingredients into the storage containers. For example, when making chocolate ice box cookies, 4 recipes of dry ingredients are sifted and mixed into one margarine container. I then mix the wet ingredients in the mixer, then add the dry mixing until well blended. Add any nuts, fruits or other enhancements at the end. I then repack the mixed cookie dough back into the margarine container, cover with plastic wrap to prevent dehydration, label and date the lid, and put in freezer. Working in volume results in having as many recipes of cookie dough as i have energy and time to make. When ready to bake, you can either take the carton out of the freezer, and let thaw in the fridge (never thaw at room temperature if the dough has egg or any dairy products), scoop or slice the dough according to how you want it, put on cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray or lightly greased. Bake according to time and temperature of recipe. Or you can remove from freezer and slice frozen. This is a little difficult, but can be done.

hope this helps. it has me. I also make premixed scones, biscuits, cakes, and bread. I'm not that domesticated, however, nothing beats fresh cooked food. I started doing this when I worked full time, and continue now that I'm retired.

Peggy
Old 06-09-2002, 06:08 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have to agree with MissPeggy. I measure out ingredients for several batches of each type of cookie dough, then just keep the Kitchenaid mixer going. It is a big job when you mix 4 - 5 double batches of 4 - 5 different kinds of cookies, but the benefits are worth it. It would be great to get a pal, split the ingredients, and work together.

I roll my cookie dough into logs on waxed paper, then seal in either freezer bags or with my FoodSaver bag vac, depending on how long I think it will be in the freezer. One log makes about 2 dz cookies, roughly. I can take out just what I need. I also defrost dough in the microwave if I need it in a hurry. It will defost in the fridge or on the counter in a short amount of time too.

I keep snickerdoodle or sugar cookie dough in the freezer in the summer, then use this as the base for those wonderful fruit pizzas everyone loves this time of year. Much cheaper than buying a tube of dough from the grocery store - tastier too.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My kidlets love fresh baked cookies-looks like I'm going to have to get busy and follow some of the great tips that's been posted!!

Mariliz-when you said fruit pizza-do you mean like the ones they serve at Pizza Hut?? I LOVE the apple one but have no idea how to make it.

If not-does anybody else know how to make them??

Thanks

A proud American