Is this true...about canning tomatoes?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I don't usually believe them, but I've heard 2 wives tales that I would like to know if they are true because I'm about to can tomatoes...

1. Not to go into you're garden/around your tomato plants while on your period.

2. If you can tomatoes while on your period, they will spoil.

Someone PLEASE tell me if they are true or not!! I have sooooo many tomatoes right now that I don't want to go to waste. Or my husband will have to do them all.

Please don't think I'm crazy either!!!
  • Kymom, I have never heard that, but then again the only thing I know about plants is how to kill them. lol I have canned tomatoes, but I don't remember what part of the month it was when I did it. Hopefully someone else more familiar with this will be able to help you! Good luck!
  • Welcome to FC!!

I chuckled at this when I read it. (Not laughing at you but at what it says). I didn't think that this could be true but to make sure, I Googled it.

Everything that I found on this says that it is an old wives tale and that there isn't any truth to it.

I would say that you are safe to gather as many tomatoes as you want!

Tami

• I think it is fine as I have picked tomatoes both ways with no bad result.
  • I had never heard of this tail until I looked it up on the Internet. Sure enough, many others have heard of this as well. lol
  • Is this true...about canning tomatoes?
    Hi KyMom,
    I've heard this too. I can tell you from experience that it's definetely just an old wives' tale.
  • I never heard that pertaining to tomatoes but I was told by my FIL not to pickle (corn, green beans, cucumbers, etc.) during that week when I got married 20 yrs ago.

Roberta
  • My mom wouldn't let me even touch anything when she was canning when I was on or near my period.

One summer my sister in law was on her period & helped me can tomatoes.. we did 56 qts in one day. The next morning they were all spoiled... all 56 qts! We did all that work for nothing. It may be an old wives tale, but it happened to me. The ones I canned earlier by myself were fine.
  • I've heard that too and stay out of the garden during that time.

Anna
  • Wow! I never heard this wivestale at all...interesting..

All I can say is I cannot can tomatoes now for I am in menopause and I can flow at any time!! hee hee.

If you think about this...what would canning factories do..all of their tomatoes would be ruined..for the chances of a woman working during her cycle is high...

I think on home canning, they spoil if the lids do not seal, or a seed gets under the lid..

I used to can 220 qts of tomatoes each season, and never had one go bad. (for 3 families)

I sure miss my Indiana tomatoes...can't grow them here in the U.P. of Mich. lol

Hugs, Janet