Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

questions about if things will freeze well

I posted this in the OAMC forum too, but I think it should have gone here.

Ok so I am new to this, not cooking but freezing in advance. It makes me a little nervous bc I dont want to mess something up and end up throwing it out bc it wasnt good after being frozen. Make sence? Anyway I have read that egg whites turn rubbery after being frozen and reheated. But I eat egg beater omelets all the time, so do egg beaters (cooked) turn rubberey when reheated?? What about if I make a breakfast casserole with egg beaters, will it be grose? what about frozen bfast wraps.
Next, does anyone have any low calorie recipes. Today I am looking to use up 5lbs of ground beef. Im thinking meat balls, meat loaft, strog. sauce, taco casserole, ?
I already have precooked taco meat. BUT usually when I make meat balls of meat loaf, etc I add shredded zuccini or other veg. to them. Sooooo will that freeze well in it. Like if I make meatballs and do 1/2 with shredded zuc. and 1/2 with shredded apples (for sweet and sour mb's) 1lb total of beef, will it do ok?? Should I still add breadcrumbs to it if im adding the other things??
Basically I am looking on things to add to meat to cut down on a) cost and b)calories

Also, if I make a cassarole like a mac and cheese with hamburger and tomatoes, cook it, and freeze it, will the tomatoes hold up??

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help, obviously I need it. And if anyone has any low cal meals that freeze well I would love it. I need them for b/l/d and snacks. I am a sahm to a 4 year old so I cook all of our meals, and its getting old. I feel like I NEVER leave the kitchen, cook/clean, cook/clean, cook/clean - BED. lol
Old 07-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

foods that freeze well

Hi K8hatcher: I love to cook things to freeze. Do you like chili? It freezes well. A favourite of mine is lazy man's cabbage rolls. The original recipe was done in the oven but I find I can do it on top of the stove in a very large frying pan. Shred 1/2 a cabbage very fine, chop one medium onion fine, one or two cloves of garlic, add this to one pound of hamburg, cook on medium heat until hamburg is brown, add one can of tomato soup, one can of water, a little soy sauce, depending on your taste and half a cup of uncooked instant rice. Continue cooking until vegetables are cooked and liquid has thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Freezes beautifully and tastes delicious! I wouldn't worry about meat balls with zucchini not freezing well. I haven't done it but it stands to reason you can freeze zucchini for use in zucchini loaves and I have frozen sliced zucchini to add later to onions and garlic to be sauteed in olive oil and I never had any trouble. I like your idea about adding apples to meat balls. I never tried it but I certainly will now, sounds good!! Chicken and beef stew both freeze well but leave out the potatoes...they go mushy! You can always serve freshly cooked potatoes along with the re-heated stew. I don't know why the tomatoes would not be okay in your recipe. I freeze spaghetti sauce all the time...totally delicious! Another good trick, if your supermarket has a "bargain rack" as mine does..sometimes you can pick up cauliflower and broccoli for less than half price. I take it home, clean it up, blanch it all together in one pot...three minutes in boiling water, then plunge into ice cold water and drain well. Bag and freeze, much cheaper than buying them already frozen. If you can get peppers on the bargain rack they can be cleaned, chopped and frozen as is with no blanching...great for adding to chili or spaghetti sauce. I hope I have been of some help. Good luck! Nanajoan