Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 12-26-2005, 09:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bugfree Cornmeal

How can I keep stored cornmeal in my pantry from developing those unappetizing little bugs?
I had to throw away a whole bag that was full of the little critters.
Will storing in an airtight container protect the meal or is iT wise to store in the refrigerator.
HELP!
I'm tired of throwing good food in the trash.
Thank you. AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.
June Lee.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Nine Year Member

I'm interesting in hearing other solutions. I keep mine in the freezer as well as my flour as I don't use it often.

Roberta
Old 12-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks Roberta-- for such a speedy response to my thread. I usually freeze brown sugar too but I wonder if freezing will alter the corn meal in any way to make it less effective.
Only trying will tell & I will do just that. Thanks again. Hope we both get more opinions.
Again - Happy & healthy new year.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tupperware will work as long as there aren't any critters in there before you put it in there. I just lost a whole bag of flour because there must have been eggs in it that hatched. It was in Tupperware, so nothing else got bugs in it. Freezing will work fine for storing cornmeal, flour, crackers, cereal. Most anything. No more stale crackers, chips, or cereal. Keep your flour and cornmeal in Tupperware in the freezer, too, to keep out moisture. Ziploc bags would work, too.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks to Linda Lou. You sound like you've had great luck with the tupperware method. I sure will do it that way. Freezing requires time to defrost what you need & may not have the time to wait.
LOVE this site!! Happy New Year to all--JuneLee
Old 12-31-2005, 12:11 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

June Lee, you don't need to defrost any of the flours or crackers, etc. They are not frozen hard, only cold. Works beautifully. I have done it for years.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks again Linda Lou-- you're right on top of things. I didn't really think about what it is that I was going to put in the freezer--just so used to freezing the meats,poultry & all the foods I cook in advance.
I have learned a new lesson today - again thanks for the info.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

June Lee, I am glad it has helped you !
I am baking bread today from a new recipe. I sure hope it turns out as it is for some friends birthday party tomorrow !
Happy New Year !
Old 01-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I've never had a problem with cornmeal but have found little bugs in flour until I started putting it in a big empty pickle jar.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thumbs up Bugs in Cornmeal

Hi!
I just might have the solution to your problem.
I have been married for 30 years and have been using bay leaves in my staples since before marriage and never had a problem with mealy bugs. I have given this recommendation to other who have had the problem and it has solved it for them. The key is - if you have them - throw out the cornmeal, oats, whatever the grain is - wash out the container with hot soapy water - make sure it is totally dry and put a bay leaf in the bottom of the container. The bugs will not appear for some reason - they just don't like bay leaves. And btw, the bay leaves will have no affect whatsoever on your grains - no favour or texture change. Change the leaf every year or so. I even put them in my dresser and kitchen drawers that have paper or fabric in them - under a waxpaper liner (or other paper liners) - one bay leaf will keep the little brown paper worms away that form and become moths that eat holes in fabrics. Try it - works everytime!
Gwen