Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 05-01-2002, 03:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've been canning off and on for years. My DH refuses to eat store bought peaches and pears (along with many other vegetables). I freeze some of my veggies. We can venison and it comes out so tender. I just add a little beef boulion and I'll whip up pot pie, stew, beef & noodles... just about anything. Does anyone have a good salsa recipe for canning? Or maybe some other favorite recipes.

A note to Mom2twoboyz... even though your DH bought you some jars, it always seems like you never have enough. I always double a recipe or try something new and really come close to running out. I did run out one year and I really didn't want to pay the price for the Ball jars so I went to the Dollar General Store and their jars have actually held up great for years. I didn't use their seals, just the jars. I know my grandmother would save all her mayonaise jars and can with those as if they were wide-mouth jars!

May God bless your day!
Old 05-01-2002, 04:39 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing

When you get recycled jars - BE SURE that they are intended as canning jars! I know that some people use jars from products they purchased, (pickles, mayo, jelly, etc.) but I can assure you, one breaking in canner, or one not sealed well will make you a believer! Your elevation makes a difference, and like everyone else has said - the county/state extension offices are just a wealth of information - and usually great people too! -
Marlene at a Mile High (literally!)
Old 05-01-2002, 04:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

If you have to purchase jars new, I have found here in Alabama that Big Lots has the best prices on canning jars. If you have one near you go check-out there prices! Good Luck I love to can but have never used a pressure canner.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

A thought ...

If you are just getting into canning, it is a good idea to get as much information about the subject as possible because there is a difference between pressure canning, and using a boilding water bath. Both are good for different things but you can not always use them interchangeably. And yet again, jams and jellies are made using the open vat method.

Another thing you might want to think about is where you will be storing all those beautiful canned items. Doesn't seem like a big thing at first, but the more you can, the more those jars will consume your regular pantry space so best to start thinking now in case you need dh to do some shelf building.

All that having been said, there is nothing more satisfying and more beautiful to look at all then all you have canned once the y are safely stored on your shelves. I still enjoy opening the doors to the root cellar when the sun is just right and seeing the jars of golden peaches shining next to the red beets ... you talk about jewel toned colors!

Sandie
Old 05-01-2002, 06:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

When I first moved here and I started canning, DH built me shelves behind my back door in the kitchen. They are built into the wall space (takes up no room in the kitchen) and they are sized for canning jars. I have some for jelly jars, pints, and quarts. I also store other canned goods there because it's the perfect place and I can see what I need at a glance! It's the only pantry space I have!
Old 05-01-2002, 06:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecision & Southwest of Disorder
Canning supplies are always more expensive during the canning season. It is a very good idea to watch at Wal-Mart and such places (even the supermarket) toward the end of the season and pick up lids, rings and sometimes even your specialty jars when they have them on their clearance.
Years ago mayonnaise jars and such were manufactured with the purpose of being reused, but in our 'throw away' society of today it is not prudent to try to reuse them. For one thing, the mouth is not always a size that will allow the lids and rings to seat in properly and so you have the disappointment of losing a lot of your hard work.
Here where I live we have a radio program each weekday morn that is a buy, sell and trade program. Quite often there are those older ladies that are no longer able to can and preserve that are selling their canning jars and equipment. My mother and I no longer use quart jars so we have put them on the radio and sold them to younger women (and men) that are just starting out. It helps out on both sides.
If you ask around you may even be fortunate enough to find someone that has canned for years and is willing to mentor you in your canning.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle I LOVE TO CAN

I LOVE TO CAN DH AND I RAISE A GARDEN EVERY YEAR AND I MAKE HOMEMADE SALSA, AND DICED TOMATOES AND SPAGHTI SAUCE. THIS YEAR I AM GOING TO TRY STRAWBERRY JELLY AND PEACHES AND PEARS CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME TIPS? I WANT TO ALSO DO BEEF. MY GRANMOTHER USED TO CAN PORK SAUSAGE AND SET THE CANS UPSIDE DOWN SO THE GREASY WOULD BE AT THE TOP I LOVED THAT SAUAGE MAYBE WHEN THEY WHEN I GET A CHANCE I WILL TRY TO DO THAT THIS YEAR ALSO.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Sue Witt. I've made peach, grape, black raspberry and strawberry jelly. (Crock pot apple butter too.) There's nothing like it! I mix the ingredients for the jelly according to the Sure Jell directions. It is so steaming hot that all I have to do is ladle the hot jelly into my little jar, put the lid and seal on it, turn the hot jar of jelly over and it seals itself. I don't ever process my jelly in a water bath. Some recipes call for processing but I've never had a problem with my jelly not sealing. What a treat that jelly is on a warm piece of home-made bread in the dead of winter! :p

Maybe you could pass along your salsa recipe and the way you can it?
Old 05-02-2002, 06:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle salsa recipe

well let me explain my recipe, it is not hard at all let me do it in steps so i will be easy to understand

1. fill your sink with ice water the more ice cubes the better.
2.boil water on the stove in a big pot
3. plung tomatoes in boiling water
4. when you see the skin on tomatoes roll up dip out and put tomatoes in the pan.
5. put your tomatoes in your ice cold water. if you have alot repeat steps until there are no more tomatoes/

6. core and peel skin off of tomaotes and put into a big pot.
7. get your food processor out and chop onions green pepper and jalapeno peppers with it it will save time.
8.now take all veggies and put with your tomatoes and cook for about 20 mintues see seasoning below

seasoning salsa
chili seasoning
green chilis
cilantro chopped
dash of white vinegar
brown sugar go easy on this or it will be sweet
dont add any salt to it just yet read on.

i am sorry that i can not give you excat measurments on the seasonings it just depends on how many tomatoes you have the best way i test this to have a bag of chips handy and let the family decide i just keep adding to it until it is excally right for us.
go easy on the jalpeno peppers sometimes i put yellow corn in. just depends. After it has cook i will ladel into jars and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt on the top they i will process in a water bath for about 10 mints. oh if your salsa is on the runny side you can thicken with tomatoe paste [B]
Old 05-03-2002, 03:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks, so much, for the great salsa recipe. I'm going to make this and can it this summer. -Can't wait!