FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/food-safety-keeping-food-fresh/)
-   -   Keeping Fresh Produce (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/food-safety-keeping-food-fresh/12777-keeping-fresh-produce.html)

barbszy 10-12-2004 04:35 AM

Keeping Fresh Produce

This is not technically a "canning question" but I was hoping someone would know the answer!!!!

I like to eat baked yams, but I don't know how to store the yams before cooking. The last bag I had got moldy in the fridge drawer after a short time.

I do have a basement, but I have a basket rack down there where I keep Vidalia and regular onions. I know regular potatoes don't handle being stored near onions, but what about yams? What would be the best way to keep them?

elrey 10-15-2004 10:34 PM

I dont know for sure but cant you just store the yams where you store the potatoes? i really like yams too but I dont buy enough of them to have problems storing them.

RobertaD 10-16-2004 05:50 AM

I just keep my yams in the kitchen on the floor like I do my white potatoes. I never buy more than 3 or 4 at a time so I don't have storage issues they keep until I use them all.

I think keeping them in the ref gets to much moisture on them and they go soft and moldy you could put a paper towel in with them to keep the extra moisture away from them. I do this with carrots and they last so much longer now.

We love yams just sliced and fried in butter, I also bake them in the oven and I've french fried them for a chance of pace.

RobertaD

Pag36 10-16-2004 07:24 AM

I just keep mine out in the garage once it starts staying cool. Same thing with my regular potatoes. I keep my onions in the house so they are for sure away from either of the potatoes. In the summer time I keep them all separate.

I too love sweet potatoes sliced and fried in butter YUMMMY!

EMMJEAN 10-16-2004 08:51 AM

I store them with my potatoes. Never had a problem with them going moldy. I am so going to have to try them fried in butter. I have never had them that way. I have always baked them. So boring after a while. Thanks for the idea.

Candy 10-16-2004 09:20 AM

^^
Keep all my taters in crisper drawer and onions in the other one....take them out of the bag and put paper towels in the bottom. mine keep at least a month or so. If your crisper has a humidity adjustment ...turn down...we have 2 frigs and the 2nd one we have adjustable crispers which are nice.

I like mashed sweet taters sprinkled with brown sugar and butter then with the leftovers you can make potato cakes with pure potato and a little brown sugar mixed in....I bake them so they don't fall apart. These are good plain or with a little maple syrup on the them. Can you tell I like sweets? LOL

MNNorsk 10-16-2004 08:37 PM

NEVER store potatoes of any kind in the refrigerator! The same goes for onions. Both should be in a cool, dry place but not together. The garage is good and also a cool place in the basement.

You can use the sweet potatoes the same way you would white. They are also good mashed together. My favorite is still baked.:)

Candy 10-17-2004 04:31 AM

^^ Before I started storing them in the frig they were going bad on me ALL the time ...Sorry but it works for me and I shall continue cause I love my taters:)

redcardinalbird 10-17-2004 09:09 PM

I bought a grocery bag full direct from the farm. I was told to let them cure in a box in a cool place. Last year Mom kept hers in her garage and she still had some in the spring. I kept mine on the carport in a box last year and they did fine. That is where they are again this year.

When we cooked some down at the lake I did not have any brown sugar, like the kids like them. I sliced them real thin and put some vanilla and butter over them baked it and then melted marshmellows on top, they were very good.

RobertaD 11-09-2004 04:54 AM

I've found that if I put a paper towel in a bag of carrots, lettuce, cabbage, etc. the produce keeps fresher a lot longer without sliming or getting moldy.

RobertaD