Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 08-11-2004, 06:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

A question about black walnuts

I am new to this forum, and i'm not sure if anyone has asked this already, but i'm really wondering.
I have 3 HUGE black walnut trees in my back yard that produce amazingly well.... does anyone know how to dehusk and de shell them and when you'r supposed to do it ? And how to store them ?all they are used for now LOL is the kids like to throw them at each other when the husks start to turn brown LOL. (what a mess) thanks for any info.

Autumn
Old 08-14-2004, 09:22 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

audhaze when the hull turns black you put on a pair of rubber gloves and take the hull off. we put ours in a bucket or just any thing to let them dry a little about a week then we crack them out and lay the nut out a few days and let it dry then i put them in freezer bags and in the freezer and use them in candys and anything that calls for nuts hope this helps if you have any more question please fell free to PM me

Old 08-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I remember my dad spreading them out on our little porch roof to dry. Then he would have to use a hammer to get the shell off because they are so hard. He could hardly wait until my mom made a black walnut cake. They were stored the same as any other walnut, usually in the refrigerator to keep them fresh. There are recipes for cakes and candies and I suppose now there are even more.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I grew up on a farm. My Dad would put the walnuts in an old feed bag and drive over them with the tractor.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:20 AM

I am glad you brought up this subject. We have hundreds of walnut trees in our area and I've never tried saving them. Thanks Karen and all others for the tips, will have to try that this year.

Anna
Old 08-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Head Moderator

We gather ours every year and it is worth the taste as long as you have the time! Wear rubber gloves unless you want dark brown hands for awhile! Break off the green husks and spread them out somewhere to dry thorughly. We gather so many we just dry them outside and the squirrels can't keep up with all we have so we don;t really lose that many. After we have them dried(you will need to turn them so they dry all around) we put them in 50 pound net bags to hang up in the garage and then crack them open through the winter. We use and old anvil and a hammer. They are very hard to break open, a regular nut cracker will not work, if you want one you have to buy one that says "for black walnuts". If you put them in a pail of water the shells and nut meats will separate. This helps because biting into one of those shells will break a tooth! Then I spread the cleaned nut meats onto a cookie sheet and bake the,m just enough to redry them. I put them in canning jars and freeze them till I need them. Everything tastes much better with black walnuts instead of regular wlanuts. Good Luck!

Old 08-16-2004, 12:10 PM

Cat lover

Thanks for the extra info. you all are getting me motivated here lol. No one here in Columbus, Ohio wants these, they are literally everywhere. Now, buckeyes on the other hand everyone is looking for... my dh says other than football game, they are a useless nut

Anna
Old 08-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Nine Year Member

black walnuts

When I was a kid we had a walnut tree in the alley by the garage and my Mom would rake the walnuts into the drive area so the car broke off the outer husk then let the shells dry out before she would store paper bags full of nuts in the basement and crack them open with a hammer as she needed them.

Roberta
Old 08-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Good luck getting hules off of the walnuts.
I never heard of putting the cracked walnuts in water to seperate the shells. Such a good idea.
When you get the black walnuts out of the shells, bake a cake with them.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Head Moderator

i just located a "hard shell nutcracker" at a site online. It even says "for black walnuts", it better work because it was pricy! But I have ordered from this place before and never been disappointed, but hope that still holds true!

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll give you the site address!