Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 07-22-2004, 06:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Freezer Jams

Is anyone familiar with this way of making jam? I am very interested in trying it but need to know a bit more about the process.

Thanks for your help!!

Elaine
Old 08-28-2004, 11:21 AM
FamilyCorner Senior Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Freezer Jams

lghtheart4

My mom did strawberry freezer jam and also peach. I have the recipes if you would like them

Nancy

They are sooooo good!!
Old 08-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Head Moderator

The important thing on any freezer jam, jelly or such is to use the specified type of pectin in the recipe you are using, substituting one kind for another will not work. The recipes have been designed around exactly what is called for as for as the pectin. I have several recipes if you are interested, just let me know.

They are much easier I think than fooling aroundwith the canning process and taste wonderful!

Old 08-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I made a large batch of fresh strawberry freezer jam with great results. I found that the Ball brand of pectin worked the best.
I also made fresh blueberry this year for a change. Just follow the instructions for freezer jam, they list all the different ways to put fruit up on the insert. It is easy, just cleaning the berries is the messy work!
Good luck and enjoy

Lizajane
Old 08-28-2004, 09:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have never heard of this!! I'd LOVE some recipes!! My FIL makes grape jam every year.. I have helped him, and the canning process is horrrendous! I can't IMAGINE doing that to MY tiny kitchen!!

There just isn't enough room on the stove for the pots for the jam and the jars..
Old 08-28-2004, 09:35 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Making freezer jams are so easy and have a really fresh fruit flavor. I am sending you my favorite link for making jams, both cooked and freezer .
Hope you like it. There are tons of recipes!
http://web.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?...L+Fruit+Pectin

Basically, you just mash your fruit, add some sugar, and add some commercial pectin that is heated with some water to dissolve on the stove. Stir together, put into containers. Most sit at room temp. for 24 hours, then go into the freezer.
A few call for white corn syrup, it depends upon brands of pectin. I like Sure jell. There are low sugar versions,too.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here is the page for the freezer jams

http://www.kraftfoods.com/recipes/Ja...erJamsJellies/
Old 08-28-2004, 10:06 PM
FamilyCorner Senior Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have posted my recipes for No Cook Freezer Peach and Strawberry Jams at the Breakfast Jams & Jellies thread located at:

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/...&threadid=8350

I hope you all enjoy!!
Old 08-29-2004, 05:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Kelly.. for some reason your link isn't working for me.. so I posted this shortcut to your recipes instead. AFeel free to cut this link to your post instead.

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=8350
Old 08-29-2004, 07:10 AM
Head Moderator

Freezer Peach Jam

3 lbs. ripe peaches
1 tbsp. grated lemon peel
1 tsp ascorbic acid crystals(can get any place that sells "canning" supplies)
1/4 cup sugar
1-- 1 3/4 oz. pkg. lite powdered fruit pectin(use only Lite powdered fruit pectin, will not work with other pectin products)
3 cups sugar

Peel, pit, and finely chop peaches, measure 3 1/2 cups into a large bowl. Add lemon peel and ascorbic acid. Combine the 1/4 cup sugar and pectin. Gradually add pectin mixture to peach mixture, stirring vigourously. Let mixture stand 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Slowly stir the 3 cups sugar into peach mixture. stir till sugar dissolves. Ladle jam at once into clean jars or freezer containers, leaving 1 1/2" headspace. Wipe rims and put lids on and let stand at room temperature 2 hours or till set. Label. Chill up to 3 weeks or store in freezer up to 1 year.

Sure-Jell Raspberry Peach Freezer Jam

3 1/2 cups prepared fruit (1 1/2 pint fully rip red raspberries and 1 1/4 lb. fully rip peaches)
7 cups sugar, measured into separte bowl
3/4 cup water
1 box Sure Jell Fruit Pectin

Rinse clean plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly. Crush raspberries thoroughly, one layer at a time. (press 1/2 of pulp through sieve to remove some of the seeds). Measure 2 cups(exactly) prepared raspberries into large bowl. Peel and pit peaches. Chop or grind fruit. Measure 1 1/2 cups prepared peaches into bowl with raspberries. Stir in sugar. Let stand 10 minutes; stir occasionally. Mix water and pectin in small saucepan. Bring mixture to boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Continue boiling and stirring for 1 minute. Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved and no longer grainy, about 3 minutes. (a few sugar crystals may remain). Filll all containers quickly to within 1/2" of tops. Wipe off edges and cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Jam is now ready to use. Store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 1 year. Thaw in refrigerator.

enjoy!!