Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > In the Garden > Gardening > Flowers, Plants, Shrubs & Trees

Old 03-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

What type of tree(s) do you prefer & why?

We need to plant trees at our business. I'd like your help in deciding which ones to plant.

Our engineer recommended American Holly and Chestnut Oak. When I asked him why he chose these two trees he replied those are the trees listed on the plans to another one of his clients. Well that's not a good enough reason for me.

We don't want trees that are going to drop things on our customers vehicles. We don't want any that produce a lot of pollen. They can not be invasive either.

So far I'm considering the Live Oak tree, Willow Oak, Pistachio, and Crape Myrtle. I'd like Eucalyptus & Weeping Willow but they aren't on the list provided by our city.

These are the trees I can pick to replace the Chestnut Oak:

Trident Maple
Swamp Chestnut Oak
Scarlet Oak (but I don't want this one)
White Oak
Willow Oak (It's a maybe)
Yellow Poplar aka Tulip tree, Canoewood, Saddle Leaf & White Wood
Sweetgum (but I don't want this one)
Blackgum aka Black Tupelo
Chinese Elm
Cryptomeria
Dawn Redwood
Ginko
Japanese Zelkova
Pistachio (it's a maybe)
Live Oak (it's a maybe)
Green Ash aka Red Ash
White Ash
American Beech
Eastern Red Cedar
Bald Cypress
Southern Magnolia (too fragrant for me)
Florida Maple
Sugar Maple
Northern Red Oak
Nuttall Oak
Pin Oak
Shumard Oak and
Southern Red Oak

Which do you recommend & why?

These are the trees I have to choose from to replace the American Holly:

Sassafras
Chinese Fringetree
Golden Raintree
Japanese Dogwood
Japanese Maple
Callery Pear
Chinese Evergreen Oak
Foster Holly
Savannah Holly
Sawtooth Oak
Sand Hickory
Black Cherry
Pond Cypress
American Elm
Slippery Elm
Winged Elm
Mockernut Hickory and
Pignut Hickory

I haven't researched all of them yet.

But you opinion of these will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Come to think of it Oaks drop acorns. That's not a plus for them.

What are the down falls to Maple trees?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley Kunkel
We need to plant trees at our business. I'd like your help in deciding which ones to plant.

These are the trees I can pick to replace the Chestnut Oak:

Trident Maple
Swamp Chestnut Oak
Scarlet Oak (but I don't want this one)
White Oak
Willow Oak (It's a maybe)
Yellow Poplar aka Tulip tree, Canoewood, Saddle Leaf & White Wood
Sweetgum (but I don't want this one)
Blackgum aka Black Tupelo
Chinese Elm
Cryptomeria
Dawn Redwood
Ginko
Japanese Zelkova
Pistachio (it's a maybe)
Live Oak (it's a maybe)
Green Ash aka Red Ash
White Ash
American Beech
Eastern Red Cedar
Bald Cypress
Southern Magnolia (too fragrant for me)
Florida Maple
Sugar Maple
Northern Red Oak
Nuttall Oak
Pin Oak
Shumard Oak and
Southern Red Oak

Which do you recommend & why?

Shelley - I would not choose the Live Oak because it tends to really spread over the years. They get HUGE and the branches are very long. They provide great shade, but if it is close to your building, it will possibly encroach on it.

The maples are fast-growing, and as such are apt to split and fall over easily when they are full-grown.

I'd look at the Cedar or the Cypress. They are both evergreens, will look nice in winter as well as summer, and don't "shed" very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley Kunkel
These are the trees I have to choose from to replace the American Holly:

Sassafras
Chinese Fringetree
Golden Raintree
Japanese Dogwood
Japanese Maple
Callery Pear
Chinese Evergreen Oak
Foster Holly
Savannah Holly
Sawtooth Oak
Sand Hickory
Black Cherry
Pond Cypress
American Elm
Slippery Elm
Winged Elm
Mockernut Hickory and
Pignut Hickory

I haven't researched all of them yet.

But you opinion of these will be greatly appreciated.
The Japanese Dogwood and Japanese Maple are both lovely. The Japanese Maple comes in both a shrubby form and an "upright" form. But they are all deciduous and will lose leaves in the fall. The Dogwoods are all deciduous, and will give nice color, but will shed their leaves in the late fall.

The hickories are all nut trees, and they drop big nuts in the fall.

The Savannah Holly is still a holly. It does not shed leaves very much, but it has thorns.

Sassafras is very fragrant when leaves are bruised or branches are broken. It, too, however, is deciduous and will lose it's leaves in the winter. It also will spread by suckering of the roots, so you could end up with a "forest" of sassafras if you don't nip the suckers as they come up.

The Chinese fringe tree is deciduous but has lovely white "fringey" flowers, and the Golden Raintree is also deciduous but is generally only 20 ft tall at maturity and only had a 20' spread. It has gorgeous yellow flowers, and has pretty colorful autumn foliage.

The ginko is interesting. Although it does shed leaves in the late fall, they tend to all fall off within 2-3 days of each other, so that cleaning up is not a week after week after week affair. The female trees stink, so you almost never see a female ginko, only the males.

Chinese evergreen oak is evergreen, and grows to 20' - 30' high with a 20' - 30' spread.

The elms all shed vociferously in the fall. I think of the choices you have, you might consider the Chinese evergreen oak seriously.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
~*~ I believe that a scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy. ~*~
~*~ Richard P. Feynman ~*~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
Old 04-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Golden Raintree and Chinese Fringetree I really like use to have both some years back. They are indeed very pretty.

I also love Crepe Myrtles but they do drop their flowers but leaves the grass pretty.And I love the Japanese Maple not the tall one but the short shrub type. Never had the tall one. But several of my friends have the shrub one and I did.

Good luck with everything. Happy Easter to all
Old 04-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

We planted 4 Colorado Spruce trees 2 years ago and we love them...
Old 04-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Maples also drop seeds in the spring(whirlybirds) that can also make a mess.I have red maples in my yard but they are not street trees so the mess isn't a problem. I do LOVE the red fall color.

I would NOT plant ash trees. There is a pest that was first found in Michigan that had come from China. They love ash trees & will kill even healthy trees. They have not yet found a way to stop the pest & are telling everyone not to move firewood & not spread it. It is already in other states including mine-Indiana. It is called an Emerald Ash Borer.

Gloria
Old 04-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My favorite trees are birch trees and any kind of maple tree. Birch trees do not drop anything other than leaves in the fall. I also love blue spruce trees - they can grow huge but don't drop anything. Flowering bushes can be nice too - lilac bushes smell nice and forsythia bushes are pretty too as are hydrangea.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I love lindens. The grow quickly and have little yellow flowers in June that are so beautifully scented. Nice heart shaped leaves and a nice spread. Silver leaf maple is also a quick growing tree, but it gets really big! Ours in the front is huge. It has kind of a drooping character to it like a willow. The other we out in is an amur maple. It grows on the average 2-3 feet each year. Very pretty and can be pruned to have a nice arch to it so you can sit under it. Ours is now about 12 feet high in 4 years. It was pretty small when we got it. Don't plant black walnut if you want anything to grow around it. It is very toxic and besides dropping nuts, it is messy in fall.Our neighbor has one the hangs over our yard. Nice shade, but very messy.

Lizajane
Old 04-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Good morning all, Liza never heard of LINDENS but they sure sound like one that I would like to have. Are they something native to your area b chance?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
My favorite because of the smell is fir balsum and blue spruce. There not hard to care for and do not make a mess.