Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-04-2002, 09:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Does anyone know any hummingbird-attracting flowers/plants?

The only way we have been able to attract hummingbirds is by using our large feeder. We don't have time to keep a lot of small ones(feeders) filled, so we just use this 4-hummingbird feeder.
If anyone knows of any easy-to-care-for plants and flowers besides red salvia and columbine, please tell me.

Old 06-04-2002, 01:50 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Katiebird, I think what we call "trumpet vine" does. It may grow wild where you live but it looks a little like a honeysuckle bush (Oh and that does it too!) but it has large, orange "trumpets" for flowers. The hummingbirds love em!
Old 06-06-2002, 03:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Anything RED (or orange or that has a nectar with a sweet smell!) will attract them. Bottlebush trees (plants?) do a good job. Hope that helps a little. Look up Hummingbirds on www.enature.com...they might have some good info there! : )
Old 06-07-2002, 04:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hummers

Hello. I have many hummers in my yard each year and they always come for my cannas. I've also had them in my gladiolas. The bad thing about both of those are that I have to dig them each year, but it's worth it. I started with 5 cannas a few years ago and now have hundreds. I can't give them away fast enough! Nasturtium are easy to grow and often reseed themselves and they too have a "throat" that they can drink from. Good luck!
Old 06-07-2002, 06:38 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hummingbirds

We have a crabapple bush in our backyard and it has red flowers on it which attracts hundreds of hummingbirds. A few weeks ago we would go out on the back porch in the morning and evening, about 3 hours before sunset and just watch all the hummingbirds
come by. They are really fasinating little creatures.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Flowers Hummingbirds Like

I have a Hummingbird Book , in it it has a list of what you are looking for.
Here goes:
Bee Balm
Begonia
Blazing Star
Bleeding Heart
Butterfly-Weed
Canna
Cardinal Flower
Carpet Bugle
Century Plant
Coral-Bells
Dahlia
Dame's Rocket
Delphinium
Fire Pink
Flowering Tobacco
Four-o'-clock
Foxglove
Fuchsias
Gilia
Geranium
Glads
Hollyhocks
Impatiens
Lantana
Lily
Lupine
Nasturtium
Paintbrush
Penstemon
Petunia
Phlox
Red-Hot Poker
Scabiosas
Scarlet Sage
Spider Flower
Sweet William
Verbena
Yucca
Zinnia

I hope this helps. If you are not sure if they are Perrenials just ask where you buy them or look on the seed packet.
If you want more ideas just let me know.

Have fun !

Mary

Last edited by mmbsl; 06-07-2002 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hummingbirds

I have Hummingbirds at my feeders and flowers. I heard that Hummers like all flowers but some are their favorites. I grow "Bee Balm" it smells like lemon and it gets red blooms. These plants come back every year and they are spreading out more and more every year. I got my first start from one of the flower catalogs and it took off like wildfire!
Old 06-08-2002, 12:39 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hummingbird Plants

Try Buddlia otherwise known as "Butterfly Bush".
Old 06-09-2002, 11:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a suggestion

I found Lantana to be a great attractor of Hummingbirds. Our flower bed was filled with it and you can't kill it! Good luck

Rosemary
Old 06-09-2002, 08:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

plants for hummingbirds

I have a feeder hanging right outside my kitchen picture window. There is a deck outside the window and I have window boxes along the top railing. I am not a "green thumb" and so I plant petunias, really easy to take care of and have had all different colors. I pull off spent flowers to encourage the new and they smell nice. The hummers like them and have come zooming in while I am sitting right there! They sound like little engines. I put a temporary clothesline on the deck to dry a few things once and it ran right behind the feeder. I was inside the kitchen putting on makeup looking into a mirror on my windowsill and two came and sat on the clothesline about 6" from my face. I froze and was facinated. They fought a little and then the one remained. I could see his little needle -like tongue going in and out and he even pooped a teeny tiny little bloop.I left the clothesline there when I wasn't expecting company and they loved to sit on it for sometimes over two minutes! I see them in the flowers as often as they come to the feeder. Good luck.