Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-09-2002, 08:32 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: Hummingbird Plants

Quote:
Originally posted by PartyConsultant
Try Buddlia otherwise known as "Butterfly Bush".
I hope that's true! I planted three of these right outside my front porch. They are still quite small, but hopefully by the end of summer they will be a good size. At least next year they should bloom really well
Old 06-09-2002, 09:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

in my last message I said crabapple tree---sorry it is a quince bush.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lightbulb

I had a night-blooming Jasmine plant that they loved....

Old 06-10-2002, 04:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Buddlia "Butterfly Bush"

One of the most important things you can do to attract hummingbirds, butterflies and other wild life to your yard is to provide fresh water. Butterfly bushes can grow several feet per year. They can reach a maximum size of 10-12 feet height and width, this depends on the specific variety of butterfly bush. There are some that will stay smaller at 5-6 feet height and width. All of them prefer to be pruned back in the late fall or early spring while dormant as they only bloom on new wood. The smaller you want your bush to stay, the more you should prune. What area of the country are you in? Or zone? I can give you some nesting plants for hummingbirds and butterflies.
My husband's degree is in horticulture, so he is dictating answers to you for me.)
Old 06-13-2002, 05:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a red hummingbird vine, which is really a red honeysuckle. The hummingbirds love it and it grown like crazy. I started out 2 years ago with a small start from a neighbor and now I have a huge bush.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

honeysuckle fuchsia

I just read your posting about plants/flowers which attract hummingbirds. I don't know which growing zone you live in (I am in northern california), but the honeysuckle fuchsias are great for attracting hummingbirds. They are sometimes called hummingbird fuchsia, and are not a true fuchsia. They can withstand a lot of heat. The plant is a perennial shrub and can be an excellent container plant. I have one outside my bedroom window, and in the summer time, it is quite a treat to wake up to the sound of hummingbirds converging on this bush. It reaches about 2' - 3' high. The botanical name is Fuchsia triphylla 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt' if that is any help to you. Good luck! Mary
Old 06-20-2002, 06:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dear Party Consultant,
I happen to live in Beaufort County, NC.
Our Zone is 7.5 . Thanks for inquiring!!!
Old 06-21-2002, 12:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am growing my hummingbird bush up a trellis and it is at least 9' to 10' tall. I suppose it would go as far as I would let it.

Sue L.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have wild trumpet vines growing at the edge of the woods behind our house. The only thing is that, well, I don't know how to transplant a wild vine to a different spot. I also would have to talk to my mom about it ,too. ;-)
Old 06-26-2002, 01:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow!!! I didn't think that hummmingbirds would come but so close to people. Yesterday, it was so hot that I went outside to play with the cats and give them some fresh water. There was
one male hummingbird drinking the sugar-water in the feeder.
I soon sat down under the feeder so I could watch them.
A second hummer came up after the first and began to feed.
I was directly under the feeder and he didn't even notice me or the 5 cats that were busy washing, yawning, or sleeping around me.