Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-16-2002, 04:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Clothing--choosing the right colors

I need new clothes desperately! I'm tired of looking frumpy all the time.

I had a friend who several years ago had her colors done and buys most of her work wardrobe from the colors. I saw her recently after a conference and she looked fantastic! She was wearing a coral color suit and she was just stunning (yes, I told her). Anyway she said it was one of her colors. When we got together later, she changed into jeans and a sweater--it was grey-blue color and she did not look good (no, I did not tell her). Obviously that is not one of her colors and obviously that was not her work wardrobe.

What this told me though was that there must be something to this color thing. I was wondering if anyone had had their colors done, knew anything about it, or knew where to go to get them done.

Even though I'm a SAHM, I want to look nice and I haven't for quite some time. Thanks everyone.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Though I have never had my colors done I did check out a book called "Color Me Beautiful" at the library a few years ago. It was very helpful in coordinating my wardrobe.

My problem was that I bought a shirt...a skirt..whatever because I LIKED it...no matter that I had nothing in my closet to match it!!!
I had a closet full of clothes with nothing to wear!!!

One day I was admiring my aunts clothes closet. She looks very pretty in dark blues and purples...and most of the clothes hung were in those shades, with accesories to match!! I was in awe!!!
She recommended the book to me and It changed the way I buy clothes!!

I have dark hair, dark brown eyes and olive skin, so I look really good in browns, hunter green and burgundy. I did not have money at that time to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe but in the past couple years when I buy a single I try to stick with those shades!! Now, I can go to my closet and things match!!

In the spring and summer I wear off white, soft pink and yellows...more because I like them then they look good on me. It's a nice change after the dark colors I wear all winter.

I just put away my summer clothes last week and hung the "darks". I did an inventory to see what I need to add this year...I could use some black and navy pants for a little variety. I also need more winter dresses...I have quite a few summer dresses!
I am a big discount clothes shopper at Goodwill, very rarely do I buy new. That is all fine and good if I remember to stick with my colors.....it was at Goodwill I would pick up that shirt or srirt or whatever in any old color just because I LIKED it....

Hope this helps a little!!!
take care, train
Old 10-18-2002, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm fair, dark blonde (starting to grey) with blue eyes. When I was pregnant this last time I had to go out and buy maternity clothes and I instinctively went to some soft blues, soft whites and some royal blue colors. Despite being big as a barn I often got compliments when in those clothes so I kind of understand the concept. Maybe I'll go check out Color Me Beautiful and see what colors it suggests. I cannot afford to get a whole new wardrobe but I'd like to start buying pieces in my colors so that soon my closet will look like your aunts. Thanks Train. BTW How's house hunting going? Did the house in Dallas sell? You're buying at a great time with interest rates down so much. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2002, 10:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Yep, the house in Dallas did finally sell!!!
We actually made an offer on a house today and should here something tomorrow...the competition is tough right now with the interest rates being so low. (There have been a couple other offers made on the same house...we'll see!!!
peace,train
Old 10-19-2002, 07:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get it. Let us all know and have a great weekend. We're working on refinancing our house so the weekend will be spent doing some much needed maintenance.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I had a color session once and let me tell you it works! I already knew that teal and coral looked good on me but found many others that do too. I LOVE red but knew it didn't look good near my face and sure enough the color analysis confirmed that I can wear it as an accessory as long as it isn't near the face. I used to have a little pocket thing that had swatches of my colors along with the safe away from the face colors but I lost it finally. I'd love to do it again if only I could find someone who does it! My original session was during a make-up "party". I just can't recall the name of the make-up. I think it's a big rival for Mary Kay but the name escapes me now.

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 10-27-2002, 05:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Nagymom,
I seem to be following you everywhere tonight! Your description of having your colors done during a makeup party sounds like BeautiControl Cosmetics! I love ALL their products and they do offer color analysis! Their cosmetics are offered in color groups of warm or cool, so there's no guess work of whether or not a color will look good on you. You could probably access their website to find a consultant near you! (Do I sound like an ad or what!!? )

Blessings,
Angela
Old 10-27-2002, 05:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks Angela!

BeautiControl, that's the one! Thanks! I once knew a woman who said she told her husband when they were first married years before that she WOULD buy her Beauti COntrol even if it meant the went hungry. She was a devoted fan of it.

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 10-27-2002, 06:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had my colors done once. It was an adult-education, evening class; it was very interesting. An easy way to figure out what colors to wear is to take a friend shopping and have her tell you what colors look good on you. It's much easier for someone else to tell. The colors that you look good in should make your face light up.

I have dark hair and fair skin. My best colors are the royal colors--royal blue, purple, emerald green.

But even if you have your colors done, you don't have to give everything in your closet away. Just wear your favorite colors on top or add a scarf.

Old 10-28-2002, 07:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Rainequilts. You'll appreciate this.

I've been thinking about going through my fabric stash and draping myself in various fabrics that read basically as one color and see what looks good--using a friend would probably help immensely. I was also thinking that my fabric stash isn't big enough so I would NEEEEED to go to the quilt shop and buy some more so I was sure I had every color known to woman.

It's a good idea, right?