Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Relationships > Family & Friends > Family

Family Love/hate relationship with your sister in law? Situation with your Mom? Plenty of things to talk about here.

Old 08-23-2002, 05:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle Things Children Get Into

Of my four children, the last was a pistol. He got into things none of the others thought of.

When he was two he was into the ER five times in 11 months. He got a bad cut on his head one cold winter night by hitting his head on part of his bed. Another time he fell on the front porch cutting his forehead, and got stitches for that. The third time was one week to the day later, when he fell on the porch again, cutting his head on the back. When I took him to Er that time, he still had the stitches in his forehead.

In the summer of 1955 I took the kids to a state park in Michigan for four weeks. When we came home I took the two older boys down the basement to cut their hair, but the clippers were too hot to do Dan's. It was time for lunch, so stoppd in the kitchen to wash, and make lunch. While doing so, my daughter runs out to tell me Dan's got "orange stuff" all over his mouth. I could not think at first what it could be, and the it hit me.--Baby aspirins! I had left a small overnight case open on a bed to get the clippers out, and a bottle of baby aspirins was still in the case.--Something I never did before, but this time he got them, and in spite of the so-called difficulty in opening the bottle-he did. I brought the bottle out to the kitchen, and called the hospital to tell them,and when asked how many he had taken my hand shook so hard I couldn't tell. I was told to bring him in. As usual, my husband was at work, so I had to leave the other three alone, and told the two oldest to watch the other young one, keep the doors locked, and DON'T GO OUT! Upon arriving at the hospital they took him from me, and asked about if I brought the aspirins with me. I told them I hadn't,and the nurse tore into me with, "How do you expect us to know what all he has had?", and left me. As she opened the door to where they had taken him, I could see him strapped down on a table,, and since this was new to me at that time, I didn't know what they were doing to him.
The next thing I knew, there was a policeman standing in front of me, asking how it happened. Then I was really scared for a minute. He finally left, and much later when my son was brought out he was completely exhausted. They had me sit there for a half-hour to check him before releasing him, and then I was told to watch him at home for frothing at the mouth, and rolling of the eyes. If so, BRING HIM BACK! I told them he usually has a nap at that time, but asked if I should put him to bed. I was told it was okay, but keep an eye on him. He had a nap, and when he woke up I dressed him again, and let him out the side door into our yard. As I came back into the kitchen the phone rang, and it was some insurance salesman, telling me he had tried to call earlier that morning. I told him where I had been, and what happened, and he asked, "How old is this child?" I said, "Two". He said over and over again, "Oh my!, Oh my. You say he's two? He's only two? Oh my, Oh my".

While this is going on, my daughter runs to the window yelling, "Ma-ther! Danny's on the roof!" I said, "WHAT'? The man asked, What's happening now? Is it the same child? Oh my, oh my! He's two? You say he's only two? Oh my, oh my! He's on the roof?"
Oh my, oh my!". I said, "I gotta go", and hung up.

As I went out the side door I saw an extension ladder up against the side of the house, with this 2-year-old standing at the edge of the roof, looking down. By then a few kids were there, watching as I went up the ladder, and hung onto his ankles. I told him to sit down, and he said it was hot, I told him to sit down anyway, and asked a neighbor girl if her father was home, and could he come get Dan down. In the meantime, I asked my daughter how that ladder got there, and she said, "Well, while you were gone, Michael was on the roof, nailing his antenna to the chimney." Now he was the oldest, and he knew he wasn't to go out of the house while I was gone before. So, he got chewed out later. On top of that he wasn't suppose to be nailing ANYthing to the chimney.

So, later that year, Dan was in the front room while I was making lunch (again). All of a suddn he ran out to me with his mouth open, and waving his hand across his mouth as if he were burned. When I glanced into the front room I could see right away what happened. Earlier that morning I had mixed up some plant food, and put it in a saucer under a plant--and he came along, and drank from the saucer. Well, off I go for my wallet and car keys, with all the same warnings to the others, and headed back to the hospital. Again he was taken into "the room", and again, there was a policeman standing over me, asking the same questions about what, and how things happend. Again Dan's stomach was pumped, and later, off we went, -home. This is enough for this time, but there is sooo much more for another.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.

Last edited by Blondie; 05-14-2003 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Blondie...... You really had your hands full raising a family. You handled everything great. Reminds me of my Mom when we were growing up. My Brother was always getting in trouble and getting hurt. Was climbing over a fence a nail caught on his back what a mess. My Sister was a pistol too. Remember one time she was riding a bike and fell and cut her tongue. My Mom was calm knew just how to stop the bleeding. My Father looked like he would pass out. Think television helped keep them amused & video games. They all stayed in more just sitting around in the sixties.
Remember when it was cold my sons friends would come over and play downstairs with the wood burning stove drying their cold coats and boots. The video games were the thing in those days. Keep posting all your great stories about your children. I love them. Sueanne
Old 08-24-2002, 07:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

Sueanne--

OOHHH, but there is soooo much more to this kid!! I used to tell him that he'd be lucky to see 21. He was 49 last month, and hasn't changed a bit. He works in construction, and doesn't like dr.s, so when he gets hurt, he sews himself up, and tapes it shut with that gray tape.
I'll write some more tomorrow when my brain is awake. It's past 11:30 here now, so am on the way to snoozy-land.

Old 08-25-2002, 05:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

Sueanne--

Your brother's getting caught on a nail, and your sister cutting her
tongue sound nasty. I hope things weren't too bad.

Tv was a big help to me during the years, especially in cold, wet weather when the kids had to be in the house so much. They did play a few games sometimes, but mostly it was TV.

Another thing my Dan did as a little fellow was go behind a chair in the front room, and have a BM on the hem of my new drapes.
I had barely hung them up when new, but didn't get to shortening them yet, so they dragged on the carpet. I realized I hadn't seen him for a few minutes--and that's all he needed- but when I walked into the front room there was a tell-tale odor. Like a pointer, I was led right to this chair, and there he was. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper!

Another time while he still was about three or four, I was folding clean clothes on the dining room table, and he was right there with me, sitting on the floor playing with something. I had a load drying in the machine in the basement, and intended to take him with me (I wonder why?), and, because he was so intent on playing, decided to run downstairs quickly to take out that load, and run up again.---BIG MISTAKE!! When I came back, he still was on the floor, but somewhere he found a pair of scissors, and cut the tablecloth, a pillow case which I had folded, a rug, and a chunk out of his hair in front. He had black hair, so one couldn't miss it. I did a lot of sewing in those days, and my machine always was open, but never left scissors in sight with him around. I don't know now where I kept them except they were out of sight.- But he found them.

On another occasion as he grew a little older, he brought his bow and arrow out to the back yard one day (his father was a bow hunter, and gave Dan a play bow to teach him the fine art). I was in the yard, weeding, and all of a sudden I felt something hit the side of my left thigh. When I looked at my leg this arrow was sticking out of it. I couldn't believe my eyes. I really didn't know it was stuck in me, but when I went to pick it up--I had to pull it out. It was only in a short way, but nevertheless, it was in. That was the end of his little bow and arrow--so I thought.

Sometime long after that, as I was in the kitchen fixing dinner one evening, I thought I heard a hissing noise. I leaned down the basement stairs, and then ran down in a hurry. It WAS a hissing noise--the gas meter. Little "Sweetheart" found his bow and arrow, and was practicing, unbeknownst to me. I quickly turned off the hot water tank and the pilot light in the furnace, and called the gas company. They came out, and put in a new meter, for which I had to pay $7.00.

One day, when he was in elementary school, he was a little late coming home, so I went to the front door to look down the street. Here he comes, with his shirt in shreds, a pocket half off, and a button hanging by a thread, swinging in the breeze. His hair was all messed up, and there was chunk of it missing. I said, "WHAT happened?" He said, "Nothing." I said, "Don't tell me 'nothing'!!--Look at you!" Then he told me, "Marcie died it." I never heard of the person, and by the time I got it out of him it turned out to be a girl. I said,'A GIRL did this??!!" He said yes. When I asked why, he said, "I called her a fat pig." I told him to get in the car, and, again I got my keys and wallet. I drove back to the school, and to the principal's office to show what had happened. Now, I never was the kind of mother who said my child wouldn't do such and such. With Dan, I knew better, because he liked to fight, and provoke.

I lost my post, so will send what there was to see how much shows up.

Last edited by Blondie; 05-14-2003 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2002, 05:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle Sueanne-Page 2

Anyway, I cut my own throat by taking him over to the school as he AND the girl were suspended for two days. So, I had him home with me. Since it was nice weather, I let him sit on the front porch for a short time. All of a sudden I see the next-door neighbor at my door, and he told me Dan was throwing red berries off of a shrub over on his porch. For a change I didn't blow up in front of the man, but pointed to a juicy round dent in the siding on our bay front, and told him I didn't think THAT was nice. He used to play with his son on the front lawn with a bat and a ball, and while we weren't home one time the ball came over, and dented the aluminum. Of course, he denied it, and I simply had Dan come inside.

Once after getting home from ice skating everyone was lolling around the front room, watching TV, and Dan was lying on the floor.
The dog was lyng on the floor nearby, and Dan reached out to pet the dog. The dog unexpectedly turned on him, getting a hold on his ear, and shook Dan's head. I ran over, his father ran over, and he kicked the dog down the basement stairs. It was another hospital trip, but this time I went to a different hospital, because I was embarrassed to go to the usual one. He ended up with his ear partly torn away from his head, so the dr. stuck him in several places in the area to see if there was any nerve damage, then froze the area, and stitched him up. So we went home.

Another time his brother, Terry, threw a rock at him, hit him in the corner of the mouth, and split the corner a little into the cheek.--Another hospital trip.

I think this is enough for now, but it really is not the end.

Last edited by Blondie; 05-14-2003 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:33 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Blondie I would have been a nervous wreck by your age if I'd had your youngest he out does both of mine.
Michael had 2 black eyes by the time he was 9 mths old, and an endoscopy at 11mths, and apart from the usual scrapes and bruises from riding his bike and skateboard he's pretty right.
Now Cam is the quiet one and everything happens to him. I'll probably get this in the wrong chronological order but.....
He had an x-ray on his elbow at 6 mths.
Standing in a shopping trolley he jumped when I pushed and he fell over in the trolley and cut his eye lid, we went to the doc in the centre and they put a butterfly bandage on it 'cause you couldn't stitch it.
He hit his head on the bedside table top and had 3 stitches in his head.
He had his thumb squashed in the hinge side of the bedroom door( nail met the bone and met the skin on the other side, flat as a tack and he still bears that legacy) went to hospital at 9am, went into surgery at 4.30pm, and home at 11.45pm, no nail and 4 stitches, what a day.
He had an endoscopy at 3mths.
He gashed his neck not far from his jugular and the doc is amazed at how lucky he was. I was from chin to where his adams apple will be, about 2 1/2 inches long it was. He decided he was going to get a book off the top shelf of his desk and slipped off the chair and got his neck. Bandaged for a week.
He did his other thumb in the car door and 6 mths later he did his pinky finger in the back door of the house and lost another fingernail
At 3yrs he twisted the garage roller door lock open and was able to lift the door just enough to lie on his tummy and roll under the door to escape the house out into the front yard and street.
When we were shifting house he climbed a stack of boxes, 3 high in front of a glass window, he was 14mths.
He swallowed a marble and it took 11 days to do the round trip in his body. Why? I was just rolling it in my mouth and it slipped down my throat.
Kids HUH!!!!

Old 05-14-2003, 04:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle Bilby

How'd you guess?? --I AM a nervous wreck! LOL! But your young one sounds as if he could keep up with Dan without trying too hard!! Your tale made me feel as if I were there, witnessing it all over again!! He was no slouch, was he? LOL! It sounds JUST like my life with Dan. He also got his hand caught in a car door just as it was being closed. There was no warning, and I felt terrible. He moved so fast I didn't see him suddenly put his hand in the way.

Yes, my Dan was a busy little fellow. I used to wonder how in the world just this one little guy could come up with these things day in and day out. Thank Heavens he was the only one who did all these things. The other three had a turn, or two, at something, but Dan was a "pro".--Never ran out of things to do.

Old 05-14-2003, 07:19 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

As you'd probably know , there were many more occassions that something happened but at the moment they don't stand out as much.
Cam doesn't seem to look for trouble it just happens. He does have a few scars. When he had his head stitches we still went to a beach party it didn't phase him, he was fine. When they took out the stitches at the docs he asked for 2 jelly beans and he gave one to me, how's that!
His neck he did the day before going away on a 3night holiday, we got some funny looks but it didn't stop him doing anything. He just gets over it and on with life!

Old 05-14-2003, 07:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle Bilby

I don't think any of them really LOOK for trouble. It's just that they are so young they don't know the possibilities of what can happen. Dan was a livewire. He just seemed to do things. His personality was very different from his siblings.

When he ate baby aspirins, and drank the plant food all of a sudden there was a police officer standing by me, asking how these things happened. I never gave a thought then that would happen, and I was shaken, to say the least. Finally, I learned in those cases it was because it might have been that I was trying to do away with him, and the hospital HAD to report the events.

Last edited by Blondie; 05-15-2003 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

OMG blondie- that kid is a kick!!

I am laughinng so hard at your kids antics. I know at the time it all was serious, but to hear it now in your words years later, it seems so funny. My kids got into stuff, but I think yours takes the cake! My oldest, once at the age of 2, at the diaper pail deoderizer from his diaper pail ( the days of cloth diapers) whod have thought? He also stood up in his stroller to fall face down and get a huge goose egg. My youngest was an escape artist. He get out of his car seat how, I dont know. But I got pulled over with a warning to "strap him in his seat". I said, I did strap him in,but he gets out! and if theyd invent a car seat the kid couldnt get out of, Id buy one! Aside from tying him in- what am I to do? Got off with just a warning. One time the oldest was running amuck in the grocery store. So at the check out line, I had to hold onto his arm so he wouldnt take off. After we got home, he complained of his arm hurting. TOok him to the doctors to find out he dislocated his elbow by trying to pull away so bad. Well, that took some explaining to the hospital!
BUt nothing as hysterical as yours Blondie- hats off to ya!