Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Relationships > Family & Friends > Family

Family Love/hate relationship with your sister in law? Situation with your Mom? Plenty of things to talk about here.

View Poll Results: Would you allow your grown child(ren) to move back home?
Yes 26 76.47%
No 3 8.82%
Not sure 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Would you allow your grown child(ren) to move back home?

In any circumstance other than an emergency, would you allow your grown child(ren) to move back home?

Why or why not?

We've recently been discussing the "rules" for grown children if they move back home. That made me wonder if everyone would allow their kids to move back home unless it was a very serious reason?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It is a really difficult position to be in, I know. I have let ds move back, and I am really having difficulty with it. It has not been a real good thing for my young daughter, except I am hoping she learns what not to do at a young age. Things have been way to lax and he is very moody. We have been through so much with him, but I cannot seem to get to a place where we can all be happy or at least respectful. This only happens at home as outside the home, everyone loves him! Think hard and be firm, don't repeat my mistakes! good luck!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 01-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

hi

It all depends the situation. I let 1 of our kids move back in because he didn't have a place to go 3 times. We tried to help him get a job, get on his feet, etc... But each time it didn't work out & he would get mad and leave. He asked to come back again and I said no. Everytime he would leave it would make me depressed & upset my daughter. It all worked out. He found a job in a different town and is away from the crowd he was with here. That's what was needed. The crowd was getting him into trouble. We still talk, he knows I love him but parents aren't going to be around forever. Kids have to learn how to take responsibility.
Sandy1970
Old 01-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

I put No but it does depend on the circumstances...

Smiles & Hugs...
Old 01-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm saying no but it would also depend on the circumstances and if there was a family involved or just him.
He has been told that if he did come back home he has to take his old room as it is, if it's pink with purple dots and a fairy bed that is what he has to take and it would only be for a short while.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I put not sure because it depends on the situation. If my child is laid off of no fault of his own or something similar and he is willing to help out around the house, he/she can move home ONLY until he/she finds a job and a place to live. In these tough economic times, many people are having a tough time finding a job. It would be a shame if one couldn't depend on their own parents to be there for them.

My DS is living with me now. He was going to find his own place to live, but since I am raising my GKs alone while DH was transferred to another state, he has been an enormous help! I haven't had to wash a single dish or wash a single piece of laundry since he moved in. He also fills my water bottles and cleans my home. He is as much help to me or more than I am to him. I just got a new place to live and DS and I agreed for him to stay with me rather than him getting his own place since I need him so much. He is doing more than his share.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 01-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I said yes, but as already said, it does depend on circumstance, etc. Although, I'd never let them without a place to live.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 01-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My daughter moved out 13 years ago. She is handicapped and lives and pays rent with 2 other women. She has regressed in her physical ability and weight gain hasn't helped but I can't help her as well anymore but when she does visit it is very hard to assist her. Besides we took out the stairlift a few years after she moved and she can't get upstairs now.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am with Lauri. I have had my kids move back home for several reasons. By the time they get back on their feet, they then go out and get themselves established. No child of mine, be they adult or not, would ever find themselves having to be on the street, or living with unsavory people.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I put yes, there's always room for the exception, but yes if it helps them get ahead with saving for a house, etc

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."