Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Relationships > Family & Friends > Family

Family Love/hate relationship with your sister in law? Situation with your Mom? Plenty of things to talk about here.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

blushing Empty Nest,,,

Ok,,my hubby and I are new to this empty nest stage..
We have 3 daughters,,ages 26, 21 and 18. Our baby just graduate and not even a week after writing her last gr 12 exam,,she moved to Jasper, June 24th,,lucky her ,,she got here dream job,,,she loves horses,,and is a horseback riding guide. Her boss has the contract at one of the big hotels in Jasper for horseback riding tours.
So yeh,,,my hubby is 49 and I am 42...not exactly sure what having an empty nest is all about yet,,my sister and her grandson arrived the morning after my daughter left and have been driving me nuts ever since,,,she asked to stay 4-5 day and now tells me she is not going home until July 7th,, ok back to my original thought...
I sure am missing my baby,,seems I am missing her more then I missed my other girls when they moved out,,and each one of my girls wasted no time getting out and starting on the new stage of their lives...
We are all very close,,talk online or on phone everyday,,and our oldest is expecting our first Grandbaby,,,due Sept 6th,,,
I am looking for a part time job so I don't get too bored,,but is hard for we live in a rural area,,,
So are there any other newly empty nesters here, with any good advice,,,
Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

Hi Cindylee...I am not a new empty nester but I know how you feel...my youngest moved out and got married in 2004 and for a while I was lost but I tell you now I love it...just hubby and I and our dog,Dutchess...You will get used to it...it may take some time but I think you will be okay being an Empty Nester...

Enjoy your time you have to do all those things you never had the time to do before...take up a new hobby or job...

Congrat's to your daughter for getting her dream job...and congrat's on your first grandchild...who will keep you very busy...lol

Smiles & hugs...
Old 07-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

yes, I am sure both my hubby and I will enjoy it all once my sister and her grandson go home,,,
and wish all my daughters lived closer,,they are all in Alberta now and we are in the interior of BC
Old 07-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

I felt the same way when my sister,her hubby,thier 2 daughters(teenagers) and their 2 dogs were here for over a week...was glad to see them but glad when they went home...

Cindylee my 2 daughters live 1,200 miles from us and my son only lives 15 miles from us...hubby's 2 kids live in Lethbridge,Alberta...

Will be a nice trip for you and your dh to make...

Smiles & Hugs...
Old 07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes the trip to Edson from here is a very nice trip..and now with our youngest in Jasper,,we can stop over there too..
Old 07-03-2008, 03:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Cindy I am not at the empty stage yet although I feel it this summer with my kids14,12 and 10 all away at summer camps.....Just wanted to ask you where in B.C. are you living??? I am in Ontario now but my family is on Vancouver Island....Comox....I will be heading home this summer for a visit...I miss the west coast. Congrats to your DD for her dream job...Banff is so pretty.....Congrats also on the upcoming birth of your GC.....

hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 07-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hey,,Debbie,,,I am in the interior of BC...a small rural town called Lumby,,fantastic area,,,not far from better known Kelowna and only 20 mins from Vernon...Lots of lakes in our area to cool off in,, in the summer. And gosh there must be about 7 lakes less then an hour drive from my home,,and when my girls were little one lake or another was were we spent our summers...I miss doing that with my girls..
Old 07-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I actually have heard of lumby....I have been to the Kelowna area many times before. i had a friend from high school who lived there.....worked as a travel agent. It is a very pretty area. I am looking forward to my trip home......nothing like the west coast....

hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 07-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes,,I have lived in this area all my life,,is very nice, and I love it...
Old 07-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Both my children are grown. My DH went through the whole, "empty nest" syndrome with our kids. I was not affected by it.

My advice is to keep in communication with your kids. Let them know that you are glad they are now grown, but that you need to hear about their life to make the transition easier. If they call you every few days in the beginning, it will make it easier for you. Once you get over the transition, you will find it easier.

Have fun and good luck.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!