Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Family Love/hate relationship with your sister in law? Situation with your Mom? Plenty of things to talk about here.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Send a gift, don't go.

Think about it hard; it was tough, it was long, it was mostly a mistake, I found out how many nasty people there are out there. I am trying to focus on the good, but I am having trouble doing so. Again, send a gift, don't go.

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 06-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Cooked, I take it things didn't go well. I am sorry. Some people may think I am mean, but if I don't want to go, too busy to go, have other plans, or whatever the reason, I just don't go and I usually don't give reasons unless it is someone with whom I am close and I feel that they need to hear why I cannot go.

It will be my turn to go to a baby shower on the 28th. I feel obligated to go, but I want to go too so this shouldn't be a problem for me.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:10 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I thought I had replied again on this. But, apparently my post got lost in cyber space?

Thanks for all the responses. I am so glad I am not the only one who feels the way I do. I was told that my mom, my two sisters are going together to get one of those all in one strollers. The type that has a car seat/baby carrier. Well I gave our car seat carrier over to my mom's. And I have a stroller here if she would like it.

I have been told that there were about 160 invites sent out for the shower!?!?!?! That is a lot of invites for a baby shower! Even if only half show up that is 80 guests. I doubt that I will even be missed, nor would any gift I would give!

Complaining about a homemade baby quilt? That is so selfish, I wouldn't have even shown it to her before you gave it to her! I know all the blankets, store bought or homemade, i loved, especially the homemade by the heart ones.

I was also told that the crib bumper set she has on her registry is over $100! I also have a set of those if she wants that too. Probably not worth $100 though!

Cooked at least you got information about the shower sent personally to you. The only way I heard of the shower was by being called and asked to pitch money in for her gift!

I knew that she had asked my sister if she would babysit after she goes back to work. And was wondering why she would go back to work, as they own their home, they had help from his parents buying the home. But, I guess if she wants the baby to be best dressed sleeping in the best furniture, that is why she is going back to work.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 06-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

180 for a baby shower? OMG! Buy a bottle of wine, sit in the shade and read a good book. Some things just aint worth it. Hind sight is 20/20.

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

When my son's wife was pregnant for their first child,she wanted a huge baby shower and specified that all gifts were to be over $100.00 and that everyone would have to bring a little gift just for her so she wouldn't feel left out...

When I told my son that she needed to give her head a shake he told me not to bother showing up..okay fine with me...I took the $100.00 we would have spent on a gift and bought hubby new boat seats for his boat...

I never had a baby shower for any of my 3 kids...and her requests were just ridiculous...and hubby and I had more fun going fishing...lol
Old 06-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Assistant Moderator

BBB that is so funny! I will remember that!

Young women here are the same way. It is nothing to pay +$100 for bedding. Don't get me started on what they pay for cribs. Some will stop at thrift stores and goodwill but not many. And the wedding gift registers? OMG! Our niece asked for a pool. shaking my head here
Old 06-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face

I understand that with the excitement of a new baby coming (particularly since the baby is the first baby for your niece) the new mom wants everything to be "shiny and new". With my first child, I also wanted things to be "perfect" -- and I loved looking at the pretty baby items offered by the expensive stores. However, for anyone to turn up their nose at any gift (used, inexpensive, handmade, whatever) is the ultimate in rudeness. I appreciated everything I received -- new or used. Since your sister asked you to shop with her for the baby shower, I would certainly tell her that you were not invited. She can deal with that news however she wishes. However, if you are able to afford a gift, it would be very gracious of you to purchase one and send it after the baby is born. After all, the gift really is in celebration for the baby -- not for the rude mother-to-be.

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Assistant Moderator

I woudln't bust my buns to get a gift or make one. I made nice gifts for our niece with both sets of twins but wasn't invited to either baby shower. Sometimes you need to walk away.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Nine Year Member

Perhaps you could let your sister know that you will have to get back to her later about a gift. And explain that you would rather wait until after the baby is born.
Then send a card with small check which you could decide how much you want to invest in your great niece/nephew.

I know that I never had a baby shower for any of my five kids. I did have relatives who sent me things after the baby was born and loved all the handmade things I did receive.

Handmade always lasts longer and usually doesn't cost as much as store bought.

I think it is just rude for someone to tell people that they have to spent a certain amount for gifts. But, I usualy make most of my gifts. Otherwise I couldn't afford to give to as many people that I do even to my own kids.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

Connie I am glad you got a laugh out of that...I figure it this way at least the money went to something useful for us...she missed out...

I made all my grandkids blankets(crocheted) when they were born and I thought that was a nice gift...my daughter still has the ones I made for her 2 kids but my son's wife threw out the ones I made for our grandson...alot of work went into those blankets and I promised myself I would never make any more...and didn't...

Its always nice to receive something hand made...