Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Family Love/hate relationship with your sister in law? Situation with your Mom? Plenty of things to talk about here.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Do you get along with your Mother-in-law?

Do you get along with your Mother-in-law?

My ex's mother was a real pain in the butt. She hated to let him think for himself and of course, he wasnt about to cut the apron strings.

We recently lost my husband's mother. She was a joy. My husband tells me all of the time that I'm so much like his Mom in certain ways.

I miss her a lot.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I get along with my MIL. My husband does not call her etc. so it is up to me. She has never tried to start trouble between us or anything. She has gotten upset sometimes when we try to work out where we are going and times for Holidays. And once she did not realize her cell phone had called my answering machine and she and her daughter were talking and said a few things which did hurt my feelings, however I have gotten over it.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 10-19-2005, 04:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcardinalbird
And once she did not realize her cell phone had called my answering machine and she and her daughter were talking and said a few things which did hurt my feelings, however I have gotten over it.
Wow, Im glad nothing like that ever happened to me. Im not quite sure I could've gotten over it like you did.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-20-2005, 01:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrsmom
Wow, Im glad nothing like that ever happened to me. Im not quite sure I could've gotten over it like you did.
I never told her that I heard it. She is also what we all call "ditsy" and dh calls dysfunctional. You never know what she is going to say and sometimes she does not mean how it comes out. She told a friend that we did not call her everyday. I told DH that for several weeks she ought to have been glad I didn't call! She waits for us to call. I don't even call my Mom every day.

She did tell us last time she had problems with DD that we never give her any trouble. She also calls me when she really needs something instead of her DD, who is also a little ditsy.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 10-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My ex MIL was from Brazil and she spoke english but we still had a language barrier. My current MIL claims that I am her favorite DIL and that she even likes me better than her own daughter. I have been "in the family" for 9 years and here within the past year she has been insulting me about everything. I told my husband about it and told my FIL about it and they are listening to see if she does it so they can address the situation. They are both (surprisingly) on my side and not hers when it comes to the insults. My husband does not have a very, very close relationship with his mom and her husband gets tired of her crap a lot of times, also.

My hubby doesn't like my mom...she is queen of the guilt trips and the whole world revolves around her.
E-Ma to 3

Look to the future, because that is where you'll spend the rest of your life. ~ George Burns ~
Old 10-23-2005, 07:58 PM

I've never had a MIL so I don't know what any of you ar going through, good or bad.

Coll
Old 10-24-2005, 10:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My MIL is one of a kind, unfortunately not in a good way. Every year she forgets my kids birthdays. My DD finally said something to her in an email about it and my MIL said that the days just fly by and she doesn't remember. She only has 7 grandkids, and lives with 4 of them. This year she gave my kids a card on May 1st and said sorry I don't remember your birthdays. My DD's bday is in June, but my youngest sons are the end of September and the middle of October!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When she didn't even call any of them on their birthdays again this year, my DD emailed her again and my MIL said I gave you money, hope you had fun spending it, and then said why don't you remind me. Shouldn't a grandmother be able to remember her GC birthdays? My DD has cried over this and so have I. She wants to email her back, but my DH says it won't do any good, that my MIL will not feel bad about it or say she's sorry for missing them. When we go over there to visit (which isn't often) we have to listen to how great my SIL's kids are, how smart and cute (they're not). They don't try to find out anything about my kids, their interests, friends, anything. I am at the end of my rope with them and don't know how I'm going to keep going over there.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Nine Year Member

My mother in law is great. They live in New Hampshire, and we don't see them any where near as much as we'd like. I talk to her at least once a week on the phone though.

Tami---My ex MIL was also a pain in the butt. And that's putting it nicely. She still get on my nerves. (I sometimes answer the phone when I see her number calling one of the Kids.)

Lauri

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 10-24-2005, 10:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I miss mine too.

I really do miss my MIL; we lost her to cancer a year ago last February. She was one of the dearest people in my life. She truly had love in her heart, for all of us. My husband had 3 sisters; one has passed away. Teenie loved us so much and never made me feel like an outsider, even though I am 19 years younger than my husband. I thought we would encounter judgemental treatment when I first met her and the family (25 years ago)....boy was I wrong. I wish we could have had more time together....we live 750 miles away from their home town. We spoke often on the phone and I could feel the joy in her voice when I was talking with her. We went back to visit over 50 times through the years. I am so fortunate to have known her.

Sincerely,
Kathy.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:46 AM

momx3, there are reminder sites your mother in law could go to and enter the dates of the birthdays etc, and the computer will remind her.
I have 15 nieces and nephews, 1 great niece and 2 great nephews. I never forget a birthday. I may forget how old he/she is but I know their birthdate.

Coll