Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Family Love/hate relationship with your sister in law? Situation with your Mom? Plenty of things to talk about here.

Old 10-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I too wish i had a mother in law to get along with. Mine passed away before i came into my husbands life. I plant flowers every summer for her. hugs, kim
Old 06-28-2006, 11:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

my "real" mil is the biggest b---- that ever lived but me and step mil are best friends i wouldn't trade her for the world
chihuahua pup-makenzeysandra feb 25, 2006
Old 06-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

char, I'm sorry about you're mil, mine is the best and I'll miss when she's gone.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I posted in here last October about my MIL.

My husband wanted to go down and see her, a few weeks ago,but he didn't have the wherewithal to say the words in his heart, "Mom, it's OK to go." I asked if I could come with him and he said yes, please. I'm so glad I did. She perked up at our visit, got out of bed and we had dinner together. Talking about dying... death... doesn't faze me. And we talked about it together, she and I. We left that night... and she didn't wake up the next morning. She stayed alive (but not awake) another day, giving her sisters a final chance to come and whisper ILU in her ear, and then with my SIL, gently slipped away. Happily caught, we are sure, by FIL who passed last fall and has been watching to make sure we took good care of her till she was ready to be with him again.

I hope I honored her well in 25 years of being her daughter (in-law) and raising two of her grandkids, and I hope she was pleased with my words at her service and how beautifully we've all worked together in tying up the loose ends of a life well-lived. There's no fighting over who-gets-what or who-takes-care-of-what, we all know we are family together.

Thanks for listening. To my MIL, Vi, the best mom a woman could have. Thank you and I love you and I know you're right here in our hearts.

Rani
Old 08-12-2006, 04:38 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Before I married my husband, His mother would talk avidly about one of his ex's named Kim. She said to me once, " He was supposed to marry that girl, wish he did."
She attempted to sabotage our wedding and I put an end to it, and now because I stood up to her, she respects me and we get along lovely
Old 09-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

I used to get along really well with my mother-in-law at the beginning of my relationship with her son,as long as I did it HER WAY,I was her friend .No thank you,after almost 19 years together,she still sticks her nose in where it does not belong,tried to set my husband up with another woman,at every opportunity she slams me to everyone.But then I think of it this way,it is only her opinion of me and it does not matter to me anymore.I used to sit and cry every time she put me down,but I don't anymore.And the final and last straw with her was over a month ago,she stepped over the line with me,she did something that I told my DH I will never forgive her for,I spent the past 18 years kissing her butt to keep the peace for DH's sake,no more.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Assistant Moderator

I do not get along with any of my inlaws and I quit trying to. If they can't treat me like a dog and me take it they don't want anything to do with us. We are fine without them. I feel badly for my kids, they are great kids! They do not have grandparents or aunts/uncles in thier lives. Mine or dhs. A good friend told me then I am protecting the kids from them. I get sad at times, wishing I had a huge family for family dinners and such. My mother was crazy but loved the kids in her sick way. She did hurt them alot too. Scared the daylights out of all of us the last few years before she died. My MIL has hated me since dh and I started dating. Honestly I have never seen my MIL be nice, much less loving to her son, my dh. I have had people in the community come up and tell me horror stories about what mil did to dh as a child. No he is not a only, he has brothers and sister who walk on air.

My FIL will remember to tell mil to send a card to the kids for thier birthdays. My father won't remember a thing. Even refuses to have a family dinner. My sister refuses to have anything to do with us or dad. I guess I sound like the b---- but I am the normal one! LOL
Old 09-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

Wow bluebird yours sounds alot like mine.There are 13 kids in my family and I don't talk to any of them,my parents were very abusive towards me,might explain why I left home at 15 and stayed away from them.Though my mother did live with us for a bit,she still treated me like dirt under her feet,and my children even worse,both myself and my dh had enough of her doing that.

My MIL is the meanest person I have ever had the misfortune of meeting,she treats my dh like he is perfect,which he is not,and tells her other children how perfect dh is,but now even he is seeing what she is all about.While we were on holidays in August she took it upon herself to tell strangers about my medical conditions,which she had no right to do,my dh is sick of her interferring in our lives,though he still speaks to her,I won't talk to any of them.

When my mil was told that I had breast cancer in 1992,she told my dh on the phone that she had the perfect woman for him,I couldn't believe she could be that cold and mean towards me.

But now that they are out of my life,I am living my life my way,not by anyone's rules.I will never be good enough for her and that is fine,I like me,my kids like me,my husband likes me,my friends like me,and isn't that all that matters,is that we like ourselves.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:55 PM

I know I probably posted this already but I don't have a mother-in-law, so I don't know what you are going through. I hear these horror stories and often wonder what it would be like to have a mother-in-law.
As for my mother being a mother in law to my husband, she liked him after she found out he was going to stay with me after I got pregnant, we got married and stayed together. She often remarked how everyone thought we'd be divorced within a year or two of the wedding since I was 17 and he just turned 21.
I know that my husband misses her now that she is gone.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Nine Year Member

My MIL never lived in the same state as dh & I and we didn't see much of each other, she was a nice person. I have a wonderful daughter-in-law! She would do any thing for me! Yes, I'm lucky to have her in our family! Blessings to all....