Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Family Love/hate relationship with your sister in law? Situation with your Mom? Plenty of things to talk about here.

Old 11-21-2004, 09:37 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Amanda's Brother

I am posting this in hopes of appealing to everyone's good nature I have two brothers, as much as I love them both, they never really did a lot in life, and hence don't have much.

My older brother, who protected my mother from an abusive boyfriend, who protected me from bullies as a child, who fought for his country in the Army, has let alcohol get the better of him. He sits in jail now for repeated DUI's. I know it's not glorious like those with husbands and family fighting for our country overseas, and there's certainly no excusing his actions, that's why he is serving his time, but he is my brother, and he is a warm and wonderful person nonetheless.

He's in a minimum security work program, but because he has no transportation to get to and from a job, and because he doesn't know anyone there, he must work at the prison instead of outside in the work force like many of them do.

He's lonely. He's homesick. There's noone there to visit him, so he does without. He calls me weekly and we talk for 15 minutes. It costs me a fortune for the long distance collect calls halfway across the country, but I love him. He's my big brother.

All he ever asks me for is letters. Mail. Print outs of Clearwater Beach in Florida because he loves it there Pictures, drawings, letters from my kids, his niece and nephews. His ex-wife won't let his kids write. That makes it really tough. He's lost about 45 pounds being in there, stress, garbage food, etc.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

I was writing a letter to him tonight when I had a thought... FamilyCorner is overflowing with kind and caring people. We send Secret Sister gifts and cards, we send birthday wishes, say prayers for those in need, we do so much for each other...

I was hoping that I could ask a favor of my FamilyCorner extended family. It would mean so much to me if those of you that are willing, would open up that FC family and welcome my brother in. Send a postcard, a note card, a letter, whatever you like, to my brother, letting him know how much I love him and miss him. How I worry about him and can't wait to see him again. How I'm sorry that he had to spend his birthday there, and that he will have to be away from those he loves for Christmas, and worse yet, how I can't even visit him because he's too far away. Tell him I wish I could give him a big bear hug and tell him thank you for all the times he stuck up for me, took care of me, fought for my Mom (God rest her soul), and how he fought for his country.

If anyone here is willing to help me shower my brother with letters and cards, please let me know so I can send you his address. I just know it would mean the world to him. All he ever asks me for is mail. It makes his days go a little bit easier.

Thank you for listening my friends
Old 11-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello, Amanda,

What a kind, caring and brave person you are!

I'm new to these forums, and live in England, but if you can get in touch with me with your brother's address, I will certainly write to him.

Love Zaza.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:05 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by zaza
Hello, Amanda,

What a kind, caring and brave person you are!

I'm new to these forums, and live in England, but if you can get in touch with me with your brother's address, I will certainly write to him.

Love Zaza.
Oh Zaza thank you! Funny thing is, my brothers and I were all born in England, came over here in 1969. Born in Leicestershire. I will email you privately, and thank you!
Old 11-22-2004, 12:12 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I tried to email you zaza, but it bounced back for some reason, so I sent you a private message. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2004, 12:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I would love to help out

Hello Amanda
I am originally from Georgia but living in the UK I would love to send a card to your brother. You are both in my prayers.
S~Mac
Old 11-22-2004, 02:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I know its a hard thing to see a family member that you really care for make mistakes. My brother has CP and is always on the straight and narrow. He is just so gullible that he falls for all the scams that don't land him in jail but cause him to get taken advantage of over and over and that is so hard to watch. We try to tell him things that he skhouldn't do, but wants to be like everyone else and just keeps falling for the same thing. It's hard to watch and we try to help but sometimes it's out of our control even though we want the best for him. I'll send your brother a card. He made some bad choices but your love and admiration for him obviously make him a very good person.

Let me know.

Annt
Old 11-22-2004, 02:35 AM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Please include me. I'd love to send your brother a card, or letter.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:22 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hellooooooooo Amanda,

As I am sure you know, I am a big, bad, motorcycle riding, soul brother who loves to sew from the Big Apple. I am very aware and sensitive to the loneliness of incarceration. Here in New York, there are whole areas that are devoid of men because of prisons. Anyway, I will be sure to send him a few letters that will really make him feel better. I will be waiting!

DadySewCool
Old 11-22-2004, 03:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Amanada

Count me in too!!!!!!

I would love to send him a few cards here from Canada.

Just email me his addy

Hugs
debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 11-22-2004, 03:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dear Amanda,
I would love to write to your brother. I lost both of my brothers unexpectedly at the ages of 57 from heart attacks.
It has only been a couple of years and I think of all the turmoil in their lives before they passed away. Lonliness is a terrible thing for any human being to endure. With a few words from everyone, it should help ease the lonliness he is suffering right now. I know how you must be feeling to be so far away from him right now. God Bless and email me so I can send a card or letter.
Carol
West Orange, NJ