Family Traditions

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • As the holidays get closer and closer I realize that I have been married for over 4 years and have a three year old daughter, and still our family traditions are those begun by our parents. I want my own traditions!!!!

I thought it would be fun to tell how when and how everyone established your just starting out family with new traditions and how your have incorporated them with the old.
    I look forward to hearing what makes your family uniquely yours.
  • I am so interested to see what kind of responses you get from this question. Im like you, we dont have any particular traditions that are our own.

This year, I want to celebrate family and Christmas together instead of all of the material presents that we are made to believe that we just HAVE to have.

• Yeah, last year we attempted the "No Presents" rule, we told our family and friends to please not buy us anything for Christmas as we were not going to be buying anything for anyone but Emmy and that they were welcome to still get reasonable gifts for her too. WHATEVER did not work, not only did we receive gifts, but people even seemed offended not to get anything, which was ridiculous as I was in school and Aaron was unemployed at the time.

Emily and I do bake cookies every year, but that is about it.
  • I can relate. We have only been buying for the kids too but my sister really got offended by it the first year that we did that. I tried to explain about our money situation but it fell on deaf ears.

This year is going to be extremely tight for us so Im going back to those rules.

Im trying to think of ways to explain all of this to my son since he will be bombarded with everything with school and friends.
  • The only thing I can think of is a trip to the dollar store, you can let him spend a dollar on anyone he wants. I know it sounds tacky, but I have gotten some great stuff at the dollar store (most of it IS junk, but not everything) He could pick out a nice scented candle in a glass jar for a teacher, a comic book for a friend, bubble bath for grandma, and so on. Every time I go to our dollar store I am shocked by at least a few great items. Last year I found pretty picture frames that have the differant shaped and sized spots and made photo collages for both sets of grandparents of emmy at her cutest (or naughtiest) and they loved them. I bought a beautiful yard sign on a little metal post with a dragonfly on it, in a pinch for a baby shower for someone I barely knew but felt guilty if I did not go, I got booties, onesies, bibs, an adorable keyring toy and a blankie for a few dollars, and they were all things that I knew from experience that she would actually use and would never know that I purchased them so inexpensively.
  • I like those ideas, Tasha. Thanks!

We love going to all of the Dollar stores around here to try to find the best deals. Like you said, a lot of the stuff is junk but once in while, you can find something pretty nice.
  • Hello everyone! Im still new here but thought I would share. My hubby and I have started a few traditions with our children (ages 11,9,and 5) some from his side of the family and some from mine. Its really neat to do because I remember doing things as a child and I looked forward to them. One thing I do is make alot of cookie dough for my cookie press, buy every sprinkle known to man and let the kids make cookies. We give some out to neighbors and family and of course keep some for ourselves. Decorating the tree is a big thing for us I like to sit back and watch my children decorate the tree after DH and I have put on the lights of course mostly its toys or lil things they have made over the years. I am hoping to make more traditions after everyone gets a lil older and hopefully my children will pass this down to their children.
  • Our traditions
    I am a Mother of two adult children, one who now has her own family with 2 young ones. I am a believer of family traditions and amazed by my girls both still wanting to continue what we hav always done.
    However I also told them they need to establish their own family traditions also.
    My girls are now 31 & 27, but when they were young we mad it a tradition to participate in a local program where you adopt a family or at least some children and but for them.
    It helped the girls understand how good it feels to give and NOT expect anything in return. They always had a great time shopping for their "child". We would know the sex and age of the children but not who they were so there would be no embarassment as we live in a small community and it could be someone they go to school with.
    We still continue this now and my grandchildren are doing the buying. So they know how good it feels to give and learn that you don't always need to receive.
    You can also find a domestic violence shelter and prepare packages for them. Since women and children show up at those places with nothing but the clothes on their backs the shelter needs to keep many things on hand. Personal items and a few small toys are always good, especially a stuffed animal to hug.
    We also have always had an Advent candle ring on our table and each Sunday in Advent (which begins Sunday, Nov 28 for us) we take turns doing a reading and lighting the candle for the four Sundays prior to Christmas. This is a good reminder of what the season is all about and a good way to ensure some quiet time with the family each week.
    Those are a few of our traditions I hope one of them has apealed to you.
  • Actually, when I was in highschool we did "Adopt a Family" and each homeroom class was assigned a family with the sexes and ages of all family members as well as needs and wants, and it was incredible to see the huge stacks and stacks of items in the end... toilet paper, socks, complete turkey dinners, bikes for the children. When the families would come to pick their items up they would just be astounded by the generosity of a bunch of teenagers. I had forgotten about that and I think it would be a great thing to start up with again! Great idea. In fact, when I was much younger we used to make our Advent wreaths every year, but I had forgotten about that as well.

THanks for the great ideas, I wonder what other great traditions I have forgotten!
  • HI ! When I was growing up , we always got to open a gift ( always pj's ) on Christmas eve. When my children were young , we did n't have moeny for extras , so we didn't do that. Now, we exchange small gifts from each other--- the kids--on CHristmas eve. It's fun to watch them and they love to give each othere something special. It used to be dollar gifts ,b ut as they have gotten older and make money , they think throughout the year and buy gifts during the year.
    Another thing that I started years ago, was making muffins for breakfast. Every year, we make lots of muffins and that is what we have for breakfast. I didn't know how important that was until last year. My youngest, now 11, said, mom WE HAVE TO HAVE MUFFINS! LOL, they are good!
    We always have dinner at my mom's and I love going there. I wonder if I will start making dinner here when my kids move out???
    So, you see, even things like muffins can be a tradition!