Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Family Love/hate relationship with your sister in law? Situation with your Mom? Plenty of things to talk about here.

Old 11-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

RhondaOH, just wanted to say I love your signature line.

As far as Christmas traditions we have butterhorns for Christmas morning. Actually thanksgiving as well. For both of those holidays we have big dinners early, so its nice to have a light breakfast.

I live in the water filled northwest, so something we have done since my daughter was born is go to watch the Christmas ships. That is early in the season, usually around the second week of December. We also do the lights, usually in downtown, where they also have a ice rink and carosel. This is put on by our downtown association and are free or low cost.

I am also concerned with the amount of materialism surrounding Christmas. Our family has adopted a family for the holidays in the past, and when money got tighter, we did and will do this year, Toys for Tots. My daughter gets involved with that and loves shopping for the tag we select. We make it a big deal to go and get our tag, and really hype it as an event.

Another thing I try to do, though it isn't a tradition, is have the majority of my shopping done by this time of year, so that I can relax and enjoy what comes during this special season.

Take care all,

Sarah
Old 11-25-2004, 08:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Family Tradition

My husband and I celebrated out 12 anniversay on Nov. 13. He already had 3 children and we didn't have any of our own. But the tradition I started right off was to give the children a Christmas ornament every year with their name and year written on it. That way when they move out on their own they would have ornaments to start their tree. I also gave my husband and myself one together, usually it has two birds or two of something on it to represent us. So that when the kids left home, my husband and I would have something that represented each year that we had with the children at home. One of the children have now left home, so this year when he puts up a tree he will have ornaments to start with. I now am giving my nephews ornaments to start it with them. My first grandchild will be born in May, 2005 and I will start it off with an ornament next year. (although I have a stuffed animal to put under the tree for this year.)
Old 11-26-2004, 08:53 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ohh, I had been thinking and another thing we do is dig out the Christmas movies, A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim, Its a Wonderful Life, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Sorry Jim Carrey, it has to be the cartoon version), Rudolph, and A Charlie Brown Christmas. These are the ones I remember from being a child, and these are the ones I want my daughter to remember when she thinks of the holidays.

We also do cookies, and popcorn that we string on the tree.

Sarah
Old 11-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We do the same, watch old Christmas movies. I love Miracle on 34th street, the original, It's A Wonderful Life, Mickey's Christmas Carol, Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, (Idon't like Jim Carrey).
We listen to Christmas music as much as the kids will allow me to.
We bake cookies for family and friends.
Stormy
Old 11-27-2004, 04:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Holiday Tradition Idea

Hello! You all sound just like me! I believe traditions are a big part of the foundation to a healthy family. My husband and I plan to raise our children with many fun traditions. Here are a couple of them. (I have many more, but these are two for the upcoming holiday).

1) Reindeer Mix
Make a special Reindeer Mix with once cupo of oats, one cup of barley, and two spoonfuls of gold glitter. It's a secret recipe that comes straight from the North Pole, and is just what the reindeer need to fuel them for their evening of delivering gifts. On Christmas Eve, instruct your children to leave the mix on the driveway, front lawn, or any other spot where the reindeer might want to rest and enfjoy a snack. After the kids have gone to bed, clear most of the mix away, leaving just a few oats as evidence that the reindeer have made their visit. This of course, is in addition to leaving cookies for Santa!

2) The Kindness Box
Wrap a shoebox as if it were a present, thhn cut a slot in the top and place the box, along with a pencil and pad of paper, on the dinig room table or under your Christmas Tree. When someone in the family notices someone else being kind, they should write that act down and slip the note in the box. Young children can participate as well, by either drawing a picture or telling mom or dad what they saw and having her jot down the kind deed. On Christmas Eve, when everyone gathers around to read a favorite Christmas story or sing Christmas Carols, open the Kindness Box and read the notes aloud. This is a wonderul way to take the focus off presents and put it on something we all value. . .family! This could also be done for Hanukah before or after the lighting of the candles.

I hope you all have a wonderul holiday season full of family time and traditions new and old!
Old 11-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Boy TT,

Those are some great ideas. I never thought about leaving food for the reindeer. And the box is a great idea. We just might pick both of them up to begin a new holiday tradition with. Thank you. Jackie
Old 11-28-2004, 10:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello Ladies. Loved reading your family traditions!

The first Christmas after my divorce from my 1st husband, money was very tight, so needless to say I bought alot of cheap plain ornaments and candy canes (which lasted all of 3 days,wonder where they went) to dress up the tree. So I took my daughter and twin boys to pick out their own "special" ornament. Each year they love going to pick out their "special" ornament and hanging the ones from Christmas' pasts. As they grow you can see by looking at their choices what special interests or a phase they were going through at the time. I've since remarried & have 2 more children that picks out their own. I'm proud to say that I don't have to hang candy canes to fill space, I've plenty of memories hanging there now!
Another holiday treat that they demand is Hot Cocoa made from Aunt Dorothy's (my great aunt) homemade recipe. She got my 3 youngest ADDICTED to it while we stayed with her after her pace maker sugery. It's not a pretty site to see a 18 month old needing a cocoa fix! He'd stumble out of bed WITHOUT OPENING HIS EYES with his hand reaching out until he'd get to the kitchen
where Aunt Dorothy would have his tippy cup of cocoa ready for him. Only after he had drunk it all would he even open his eyes.
Sylver
Old 11-29-2004, 07:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Please you have to share the recipe for that cocca. It is amazing to see my grown children still wanting some of the same traditions from their childhood. Don't ever minamize their importance. Irt is what my kids say makes their family special. cau

Old 11-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

TT like the idea about the reindeer food, I have seen a sight where it lists a lot of them, but they are referred to as ex. reindeer poop. There is one you can use marshmallows too, for the snowman. If I find the sight I will come back here and post it. One for Thanksgiving is candy corn. I'll go look for it.
_____

And I have a question for any one who can answer it. We have never gotten in the habit of opening anything on Christmas eve, bc the one opening the gift would always pick the biggest one. So, how do you all do that? How do you chose what they get to open?

When I come back I will post our traditions.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Reindeer Poop
Silly Stocking Stuffer

Santa knows if you've been naughty or nice, so what does he leave for naughty little girls and boys? Reindeer Poop!

To make this silly stocking stuffer, place a handful of malted milk balls in a zipper food storage bag.

Seal and label with the following poem or print our free Reindeer Poop Gift Tag:

I woke up with such a scare when I heard Santa call...
"Now dash away, dash away, dash away all!"
I ran to the lawn, and in the snowy white drifts,
those nasty reindeer had left "little gifts".

I got an old shovel and started to scoop
Neat little piles of "reindeer poop."
but to throw them away seemed such a waste,
So I saved them, thinking you might like a taste!

As I finished my task, which took quite a while,
Old Santa passed by and he sheepishly smiled.
And I heard him exclaim as he rose to the sky~~~
"Well, they're not potty trained, but at least they can fly!"

It is from www.organizedhome.com

I hope no one is offended by this......