Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Family Love/hate relationship with your sister in law? Situation with your Mom? Plenty of things to talk about here.

Old 11-22-2004, 06:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am a sahm with two children Ages 12 (going on 20 if you ask him) and my baby is 7. We have been married going on 14 years in June. My husband didn't have any family traditions for any holiday. So they all came from my side of the family. Then one year my boy must have been 4 I decided that I would just make up traditions for our little and soon to be increasing family.
First tradition: The tree always goes up on December 1st. Used to be the day after Thanksgiving.
Second: We read the Night before Christmas and the Christmas story on Christmas Eve. My husband had never had them read to him as a child.
Third: Christmas Act of Kindness. It doesn't matter what it is, how big or how small. And both children must be part of it. It must be selfless they can get nothing in return except the joy in the knowledge that they made someone smile.
Forth: Cookies tons of cookies are made.
Fifth: I borrowed from the victorian era. I have a glass pickle ornament tha tis hidden on the tree every year. Who ever finds it first get a little present. Nothing expensive. Trust me the pickle is not easy to find.
That is all I can think of for now. I am sure there are others. I knd of make them up as I go.LOL

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Family tradition

We have many family christmas traditions-I will start with one and add as I remember. I always wanted Christmas Eve to be about Christ, so we usually went to a Denny's or Shoney's for a family dinner with our six daughters. Then we attended a candlelight service (many times at the Navy or Marine base where my husband was stationed.) When we got home we let the girls open one present and we sang Christmas carols while my husband played the piano. My husband or I read the Christmas story from the Bible or a Bible story book-age appropriate for girls. Christmas Day was for family and since I have the most kids, most family came to our house for a Big meal at 2:00pm. We always invited a few sailors or Marines who could not go to their homes for Christmas. We always had a birthday cake for Jesus as well.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We always had a birthday cake and would sing Happy Birthday before opening any presants. We also did the piece of straw in the manager for every kind deed. I also always had a playable Natavity set. I always placed it where the girls could reach it and they would play the story and couldn't wait until Christmas morning to place Baby Jesus where he belonged. We would celebrate with dh family Christmas Eve, ourselves Christmas morning and my family for dinner. Busy but we were close to both. cau

Old 11-22-2004, 11:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

A few years ago I got involved with The Box Project, an organization that matches you with a family in rural poverty. You send your match family boxes of stuff every month. It is a long-term match, not just for the holidays. Our match family is in Maine (we're in CA). It's very fulfilling, and lasts all year long, not just for the holidays. I hear stories from other sponsors that have been matched for years---their match families become like an extended family and they get to see the real progress--encouraging their kids to stay in school, go to college, etc. It's a great program and truly embodies the spirit of Christmas.

Also, on the present front---this year our family agreed that we would put all adults names in a hat, and everyone would pick one name, and only buy for that person (along with the regular gifts for the kids). This works out well for everyone---less hassle of buying little gifts for everyone, plus it gives my mom a break (since she has to buy anything that the grandparents want to give since they are in nursing homes). Everyone seems very positive about this new plan. Hope it works well.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:47 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am loving the ideas girls, keep them coming!

Oh, I thought of another tradition that I actually started last year and I will be continuing... I am tired of leaving the Christmas morning festivities to make breakfast! So I found a great Strata recipe for the crock pot and I set it up late the night before, and on Christmas morning we wake up to the wonderful smells of an already made special breakfast. I am thinking of using a smaller crock pot and making cinnamon apple oatmeal too, just for the smell of it!

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 11-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

tashablueyes, could you post the recipe for the strata, and how do you make oatmeal in the crockpot? I would love to add these to our traditions as I hate to leave everyone to cook breakfast on Christmas morning.

Old 11-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I would like to have them also, they sound really good. I have never made oatmeal in the crockpot. What a wonderful thread. I love reading everyone's traditions. They really put you in a Christmas frame of mind.
Stormy
Old 11-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here are the yummy recipes... and just a note if you don't use crock pots much, don't be tempted to open the lid, you really do let all the steam out, so you lose moisture and increase the cooking time by 15 to 20 minutes.
Hope you like them, I am drooling already!

Christmas Morning Strata

8 slices of bread cubed (stale is perfect)
2 cups grated cheddar (8oz)
1 cup cubed precooked ham ( my family prefers sausage or bacon)
6 beaten eggs
1 cup light cream (milk is ok too)
1 cup evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon dry parsley
Lightly grease Crock Pot. Alternate layers of bread, cheese and meat. Beat together eggs, milk, salt, and parsley, pour mixture over bread. Sprinkle paprika over top. Cover and cook on low 3-4 hours. Longer cooking time makes a dryer outcome, I usually add slightly more cream or milk and wait to start it until after the presents are all wrapped under the tree, so this gives it just an extra hour or two before everyone is up and ready to unwrap! You could also set an alarm to get up, pull the pot out of the fridge and start it cooking, then go back to bed so that it will be ready to go when you all are up for the morning. I have cooked it for like 8-9 hours before and it gets really crispy around the outside, but everyone liked it that way, too.

Incredible Smelling Apple Oatmeal

2 cups milk
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon REAL butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup dry oatmeal (the real thing as instant will just get smooshy!)
1 cup chopped apples ( I am thinking of doing peach or cranberry)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (if YOUR husband will let you )
2 tablespoons brown sugar

You can also add raisins if you like them, it looks neat, but I hate picking them out.

Mix together all ingredients in a greased Crock Pot. Cover, Cook on low 5-6 hours. Serve with milk. This can also be dessert if you dish it into pretty bowls and put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 11-23-2004, 07:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tasha, thanks for the recipes. And no my husband wont let put walnuts or any kind of nuts in it. He hates all kinds of nut if they are cooked.

Old 11-23-2004, 02:54 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tasha thank you very much for posting these. Can hardly wait to try them.
Stormy