Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Family Time How do you hang out with your family? Share your family time ideas with us!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Do you Twitter, Blog, use Facebook, etc.?

Being a 50's something I sometimes have a hard time keeping up with the ever growing new technologies out there. How many of you use things like Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, RSS? Do you blog or use social bookmarking (i.e. Delicious)?
If you use any of the above (or something I haven't mentioned) tell us about what you feel are the advantages and disadvantages.

I have recently started using social bookmarking on Delicious. The big advantage for me is that I use at least three different computers on a regular basis. This enables me to have all my bookmarks stored in one place and they can be accessed from any computer I am using. I have done some searching of the tags for other sites that other people have bookmarked and have found some new and fun sites that way. I am pretty new to the process and have a lot to learn yet.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Joy I am on facebook....it is a real easy site for me to keep touch with family and lots of old friends from high school days. I have reconnected with so many I may not hav otherwise.......I love that it is free...things like classmates etc were costing money so that is why i joined facebook and the fact that my kids are using it.......I need to be up on what they are doing.......Disadvantages for me might be some of the applications and that even though my security is high there is a loophole with photos and by a friend commenting others have access to that pic......but all in all i am okay with the site.

I jsut heard about twittering today????? Some MP's(member of parlaiment) got in trouble for doing it during legislation!!!!!

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 03-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have a blog (actually a couple of them); links are below.

I am on facebook and also on Twitter. Actually I don't care so much about Twitter. I just tried it to try it, basically.

I got on facebook because my Big Kids are on it and I wanted to check up on them. The deal in my house was, if you want to continue to be allowed to use the internet, you have to "make me your friend" on facebook. But then some people from high school and college asked to be my friends too, and some of my cousins who live in other states are on there. So it's an easy way to keep in touch.

Debbie, as long as you are careful what photos you post, you will be OK. The only pictures I have put up there are birthday cakes. So far I have not posted any pictures of my family on there. Not sure if I will.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:22 AM

I am on MY Space because I have to have an account to be able to look into dgs's MMA fights and info.
I tried twitter and stopped using it.

I do not post any photos and do not allow any personal info to be public.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am not sure I really see the point of Twitter. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is for short little messages that are suppose to help you stay in touch. I suppose for those people with laptops, and cell phones with internet this would be a easy way to stay in touch, but for those of us using a PC it sounds like a waste of time. I really do not understand Twitter well, so I could be way off base with that comment. Let me know what you think!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Nine Year Member

I've recently joined Facebook-kept getting the invite and people talking about it at work decided me to try it out. I kind of like it-don't do much on it but connect to friends and family and then send gifts, good luck, hearts, etc. We do post pictures-at least most of my family have-I've got my profile picture and I finally got an album uploaded-but I made it so only family could see that, since it was a family event.
Unless you make it private everyone can see all your posts, my mom was concerned about that-finally got her to try it-I told her it will help keep her brain young to learn new stuff and learn her way around Facebook
Not interested in Twitter or MySpace; my dd and sister are on MySpace but they don't go there much any more.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy
I am not sure I really see the point of Twitter. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is for short little messages that are suppose to help you stay in touch. I suppose for those people with laptops, and cell phones with internet this would be a easy way to stay in touch, but for those of us using a PC it sounds like a waste of time. I really do not understand Twitter well, so I could be way off base with that comment. Let me know what you think!
I agree with you, Joy. I very rarely Twitter anything or anyone.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Pam--I loved your comment about keeping the brain young by learning new things. That is exactly whay I am trying to learn more about these things. I deal with a lot of kids at the library and feel it is really important to keep on technology.

I am considering getting a Facebook account, but doubt that my adult kids are going to be very eager to make me one of their friends --LOL!! I would also like to keep my Facebook as private as possible.

Is there anyone out there that can explain RSS feeds and the pros and cons???
Old 03-20-2009, 05:38 AM
Assistant Moderator

Joy, I got a facebook page a couple of months ago and really like it. Through facebook I have been able to get in touch with lots of relatives that I rarely get to see. I have also been friended by many high school friends which is great because this year is our 30th high school reunion and it makes it easy to keep each other informed of plans. It is a lot of fun catching up with everyone but it can also be a big time waster. Many people get addicted to it and spend a lot of time there. You can also chat with friends through facebook. I also like that it is free. Both my dks who have facebook pages friended me so it is easy to keep in touch with my ds1 at college. They had no problem agreeing to friend me. I never tried MySpace and have never done Twitter. I just don't have that much computer time and when I do I tend to come here to FC!

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 03-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I too am on Facebook Gina set me up, partially because she and Adam are on it and my church family is. I still don't know my way around it actually.