Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Family Time How do you hang out with your family? Share your family time ideas with us!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Geocaching

Over the summer my family has really enjoyed taking up the activity of Geocaching. All you really need to get started are a GPS and internet connection. We love the idea of getting out as a family doing something that everyone enjoys. The kids are learning to use a GPS and map reading skills.
Are there any other Geocachers out there????

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-01-2007, 09:09 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

This is something I have been wanting to do but still haven't done. I am not sure what kind of GPS to get. What kind do you have and how do you like it?

Thanks,

Debbie
Old 09-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Debbie

We have a garmin GPS vista is the model. We like it because it is easy to use. There are so many different models out there. I would just ask salespeople the plus and minuses to each. We have softwear for ours that allowed us to upgrade the maps in our local areas to all streets etc. We have friends who just have GPS's on their phones and make due with that. When you first start out try to pick level 1 caches....they are the easiest until you catch on and see how your GPS is working as they are all a little different. We have found 48 caches so far and hidden 4 now but are working on a few new ones...trying to be inventive in our hiding spots. Hubby hollowed out a log today to hold a cache then sliced the top off and hinged it so it slides off......hopefully it will be fun for the people to find.

Let me know if you decide to join in the fun....would be fun to chat with someone about their exreiences.

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-17-2008, 04:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Well it has been one year since we started geo caching and we still love it....we did not do any winter caches but as soon as spring came back out we went......we have now found 71 caches........and we have also hiden a few too and are getting some more ready to put out...it is fun seeing if others can find your caches.

Her are some pics of our finds

hugs debbie
Attached Images

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-17-2008, 04:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

a few more
Attached Images

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-17-2008, 04:46 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I read about this for the first time completely by accident when searching for something on google several months ago. I admit that I didn't take the time to look into it, but it actually looks like a lot of fun!

Since we go camping a lot I thought it might be something worth looking into. What do you recommend for the beginner? Where do you start?

Also, does the GPS have to be mobile? I have one in my car but I can't remove it.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Amanda you would probably need a portable GPS as some caches you have to leave the open areas and walk a bit to find them...I know in Canada you can get an inexpensive one for about 100_200 dollars. Some people even have cell phones with them.

Okay first you need to go to www.geocaching.com where you will need to set up a user account....there is no cost unless you want to be a premium member(we are) You can get by with the free one. You need to have a user name.....the site has lots of info. Once you create an account you can look for caches close to you or by putting in an adress the map will show you ones in that area. Click on a cache and it will bring up all the details. Once we have decided on a cache we copy and paste the coordiantes and any info that might help in our find

UOVCC - Down By The River Hidden: 5/19/2006
Size:
(Small) Difficulty: Terrain: (1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)
N 45 53.395 W 077 18.476
Nice spot by the Petawawa River.
Easy access down short overgrown path that was driveable once. Some parking accessible but close to highway and close to fairly quick flowing part of the river so not recommended for small children. Cache is smaller tupperware knock-off with green lid.
NEW HINT Don’t get stumped(had to move it back a bit from the river)

That is an exzmple of what we do......then you need to put the co ordinates into your gps and go out find it.

I reccomend starting with an easy cache.....a number 1 and a terrain of 1 to start. Once you get the hang of it challenge yourselves with all types. Caches can be big like a large ammo can or as small as your thumbnail....they are called nanos....film container size are called micros.

Once you have found a cache you open it and there should be a log book and pencil...sign in that you found it(we use sticckers with our username) add the date and any comments you might have. Make sure you keep a note of the caches you found so you can log them at geocaching.com. Most reg caches will have waht we call swag in them...you may take something but you must leave something in return. If you find a trackable you may tack it but remember that you should place it in anouther cache within 2 weeks. When you log your find at geocahing.com you also would log the # on the trackables to say that you found it. It is fun to see how far the trackables have travelled....these are usually coins or travel bugs......there is more info on geocaching.com about these.

Let me know if you need help or any other info.....we have found some from one coast of canada to the other coast.

Hugs debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-17-2008, 05:42 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

This really sounds like a lot of fun. I may have to wait until I can buy another GPS, it's not really in the budget right now. but it definitely sounds like a blast! I know the kids would love it
Old 06-17-2008, 05:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Amanda our user name is sonofsoldier if you want to look at our profile on geocaching.com to see what we have found

Hugs Debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-17-2008, 06:28 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by debknechtel
Amanda our user name is sonofsoldier if you want to look at our profile on geocaching.com to see what we have found

Hugs Debbie
Thanks so much Deb, it sounds like fun!