Time with Just One Sibling - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Family Time How do you hang out with your family? Share your family time ideas with us!

Old 06-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Time with Just One Sibling

I have been thinking that this summer I really need to find a way to spend time with each one of my kids BY THEMSELVES (well, with the two year old this is not as big of an issue as we are together all the time when the Big Kids are at school all year).

I do have the problem of a very busy husband, so he can't always be with the other kids when I want to have "Mom & Me Time" with one....

Maybe I need to think of ways to do this without leaving the house. Anyone got any good ideas?
Old 07-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I was shocked at how well this worked out -- I assigned my oldest to help me clean up the kitchen after supper. Alone, just DD and me, working. But we talked as we put away the perishables. (DD is 10).

When we finished, she said, "I WANT TO HELP YOU DO THIS TOMORROW." !!!

So, think about assigning a chore that you can do one-on-one with each child.

Examples:

loading dishwasher
wiping counters
dusting/polishing
making beds
folding laundry

Not anything noisy (like vacuuming) or far apart (like picking up trash in the yard).
Old 07-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Another thought: even quite old kids love Read Aloud time. A friend has a 13-yr-old boy who still comes to read alouds. Both of my girls love that too!
Old 07-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Maybe for your older kids, I don't know how many kids you have, but maybe have each child choose something that they want to do with mom, and at least for starters, only have one on one time with one kid each day and rotate through the week. Maybe have the other kids all spend quiet/reading time in their rooms or something while you spend special time with one of the kids.
I don't know how well this will work with you, my two kids are little both under 4 so, let me know what you think!
HTHs!
Amy

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!

Old 07-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Jora and Amy, thank you for your helpful replies

Amy, you asked about how many kids and what age....I have a boy 12, a girl 8 and another boy 2. The chore idea Jora suggested is especially good, because I am trying to help my kids learn how to do basic household things (since I am training them to be independent grownups someday).

I did get a chance to have some "girl time" with my DD yesterday, just running errands with her. I know it means a lot to her when I do that. All my kids are so special to me, and sometimes they just need some one on one with us so I am glad to do that when I'm able.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:53 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: my family is currently stationed at the Little Rock Air Base in Arkansas
I know one of my girls favorite thing to do with me is for me to give them manicures or pedicures. I usually do that after pampering them with a nice bubble bath with candles (put on the sink where they cant get knocked over) and even music if they want. They go to bed after being pampered and a manicure and feel like a princess.
Another suggestion would be to make cookies together (or muffins or.....) This is a great time to kind of introduce some cooking concepts without them realizing it! And if your short on time, a packaged mix works just fine too.
We also let the special child you are spending time with pick a movie, and though all of the family may be in the room that child gets a place of honor by mom to cuddle with!
I agree that even older children enjoy being read to. That is also a great chance to introduce some books that might be above their reading level. We have challenged both of our girls to pick books for us to read with some literary value, like maybe some of the older classics. I got my oldest daughter (14) to kinda get into Shakespear!!!!
I llook forward to hearing some more ideas on this subject.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Now that my kids are older, they have separate interests and activities. So, when one is away from home for a few days (usually a scout campout or a sleepover), I take the other one out for a nite of movies and pizza. It sounds simple, but, they count on that time with mom because the other one is out having fun with his/her activity, and the one stuck at home gets to have a good time, too!

You would be surprised at how the 'at home' one looks forward to it.

I know this was not the question, some at home activities include playing cards (my son has recently discovered poker), video games, riding bikes, stuff they like to do, and they think it is cool that mom can do them, too!

Be blessed,
Beckie
Old 07-05-2004, 07:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Beckie, that is good too, as my older DS will be away with DH for a week later this summer, for Boy Scout camp. So my DD who is 8 will enjoy doing some special things. Even if little brother is along, she can help plan, pick the movie, choose the menu, etc!
Old 10-16-2004, 01:19 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have three kids....
once a week for each of them; i take on an outing...to the store or the movie; mall time; library; swimming..etc..some kind of activity....
I make it 'our time' for each one...it's hard to fit them all in during the day when chores meals bedtime wakeup time school is there every day..so i try to make them feel special with just time alone...on weekends we do things as a family...whether it's a walk to the park; a picnic...read together..go to the movies..etc...my kids tell everyone who listens...that they are loved and special....
I love hearing that and seeing the smile on their faces....

(Also; no guilt involved when it's 'me time'...**wink** )

Old 10-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Here's an idea to revive this topic! My dh began our dd out for dinner when she was about 10 years old. Her 'requirement' was tablecloths and cutlery! They do this once a year, usually when ds is at school camp. They missed it this year when he had camp and dd still is reminding daddy they need their date! She's now 16 1/2 and got a boyfriend, but that's why we started when we did. It's not uncomfortable for them, just a tradition, and we know that she knows how to expect to be treated when she's taken out! I don't know what the talk about or whatever, but they love the time together.
Ds and I used to go for an afternoon tea date, where he was given the money and had to order and pay, but he isn't comfortable with that anymore!! Hope the paying bit has got through and some girl thanks me one day. He and I still walk occasionally and dd and I often shop together, even if it's just groceries.
Dd and I also have a favourite tv show on Sunday nights, so she and I snuggle up in our bed at 8:25 and watch it. Then she's off to bed and I get up and finish up what I need to do for the week ahead (or sometimes I just stay there!) Ds often tries to encroach, but dd is very protectiveof that time. The ad breaks provide some good conversation too!
Now, what are others up to.
barbszy, did you resolve the dilemma and do you have any habits now that you put in place waaaay back then?