Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Family Corner Photo Album Our members LOVE sharing photographs! Whether it's pets, babies, scenic shots or what have you, come check them out here.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have a cousin who got married August 30th, and that year it was a Labor Day Weekend too. Also last year my niece by marriage got married on Sept. 3rd, also a Saturday and Labor Day weekend too. It is funny how Labor Day happens, sometimes it is on my birthday too. .
Old 07-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Denahowy great wedding pic! Thanks for sharing with us!......Mine is in March we were married on Friday the 13th~ almost 15 yeasr now!!

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 07-25-2006, 12:36 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

If I had wanted to get married on Friday the 13th my mom would have had a fit. She insisted that we get married when the hands of the clock were going up. So I chose 2:30 pm

Coll
Old 07-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We got married on Sept. 4, 1993 at 11 AM. Our first date was June 2nd and then we changed it to give us more time to get things ready for the wedding. It did and it all turned out great, my Mom mad my wedding dress and all the dresses in the wedding party and she and my husband I made and decorated our own wedding cake from box mixes. It turned out great. We made silk flower arrangements for the flowers too, with a fan they were attached too, for something different. I took a combination of different things I had seen in other weddings and combined to get the things I wanted in our wedding. We went with blue, so it was easy to have matching suits and ties and such for the groom and bestman and groomsman and the ring bearer. Also my Dad had a blue suit and a blue tie and such, so it was easy to put it all together. I'm glad you enjoyed the photo. I have lots of photos of my wedding. I just showed one of them with most of the people in it.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Assistant Moderator

We were to get married on the 5th sept 87 but the place for the reception was already booked we could go a week earlier or a week later we chose 29th Aug 2 days before winter finished. My brother married yrs after me on the 28th Aug.

I don't think I"m too superstitious but I don't think I would have even considered friday 13th LOL.

Denahowy
You did a great job to do a wedding on your own, but I guess made you appreciate it more, and I bet you have some fun things to tell about the day!

It shocks me to think that some people say you can't do a wedding these days under $10,000-$15,000, I'd rather start off my new life as debt free as possible.

Last edited by Bilby; 07-25-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
If I had wanted to get married on Friday the 13th my mom would have had a fit.
We had a big wedding planned for the summer but then my hubby got orders to ship out to Kuwait. We wanted to be married before he left so the minister said come sit with me for an evening and I will then decide if I will marry you early. After chatting for an hour he said how about next Friday evening. We said sure but when he went to book it in his calendar he said that is Fri the 13th maybe not. We said maybe that will be a good date for us. So the wedding went on that evening with 11 guests. To this day i have no regrets. It was all about Mike and i and our love for one anouther. We actually closed our home on a Friday the 13th too without being aware of it at the time.

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 07-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yes, we really enjoyed doing the things for the wedding. Also I don't care what people say you can have a nice wedding and not spend so much for it. Our niece Shannon got married last year and they rented the dresses, hers and her maid of honor and bridesmaid's dress and the flower girl dress and the groomsman and ring bearers suits too. The father of the bride wore a nice suit and white shirt and a tie and it looked just as good as some other weddings I have seen. The groom's sister made the wedding cake and they her parents decorated the church and it looked great too. I recommended some places to get things cheaper and that helped them with there budget for the wedding. It was a beautiful wedding too. Also the reception was at another location and her maid of honor and older sister paid for the rental of it. Then they just brought food and drinks and things for the wedding. Some of the relatives knew how to put together meat and cheese trays and vegetable trays and I never in my life rolled up so much meat and such for meat trays and then they had too much leftover. They bought way too much food for it, so much that they had to freeze some I think and gave us tons of meat and cheeses after the wedding. I have memories of helping with that wedding some besides doing lots of things to save and make my wedding beautiful too. I remember filling in invitations we bought from a dollar store for cheap and we just had to fill in the names and date and such and on the front they had 2 wedding bells and the background was blue on the invitations. We bought them reasonably and I think it was special as my husband and I have the memory of filling in the invitations ourselves and getting things for our wedding. I remember helping him pick out his new tie for the wedding and being with him when he bought his dress shirt. Also remember other details like buying little gifts for the attendants at the wedding and buying a gift for the groom. We gave each other our gifts on the rehearsal night the night before the wedding. We saved a lot of money by having a simple reception so people could enjoy the wedding cake, nuts and mints. People would be filled from that and just eat a later lunch that day. I enjoyed when my cousin got married giving her suggestions for her wedding, hers turned out nice too and she saved money on her wedding too. She did a lot of things for her wedding too. I have great memories of the things we did for our wedding too. I had bought a magazine and a wedding budget planner and we wrote down things and checked off things as they got done. It made it easy to plan it too. As we knew exactly who did what and who paid for what normally and that way we could work it out. I still have the heart pans that helped make my wedding cake. As I had layers of hearts and 3 heart cakes make separately too. One was a diabetic cake for diabetics and we had diabetic punch too as well as ones with sugar. As we had lots of diabetics at our wedding. We had napkins imprinted with our names and the wedding date on them too, they were royal blue and we had light blue napkins too. We even had a blue feather pen for writing in our wedding/guest book too. We rented a double heart candlebra too and it had blue candles that were lit by candle lighters right at the beginning of the wedding. It made a nice backdrop and made it special too. We had the blue candles that were left for years until they were finally used up. I am enjoying looking at the other wedding photos of here. I enjoy going to weddings. I was a guest book attendant at a friend's wedding years ago and my husband was an usher at that wedding too, as we both knew the bride and the groom.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We didn't owe any weddng debts when we got married. We had everything paid for and had money left we got at the wedding for our honeymoon and our life together. I know you can get married reasonably easily. As I have known lots of people who got married and didn't spend a lot to do it. You just do it over time and that way the expenses are spread out and it easier to manage. Also if you do a lot of things yourself you can save a lot of money too. That is what we did. My Mom and Dad did the same thing at their wedding too. My Mom borrowed a dress from a relative and she made her own wedding cake and the men just wore suits and the wedding party wore matching dresses. She even made dress shirts for her brother's summer wedding, as they were married on the 4th of July and also the wedding dress for the bride. Her Mother had passed away before her brother was ever married so she stood in for her Mom and did various things to help with the wedding, for her younget brother. Also she helped her other brother some with his wedding. She has made wedding cakes, a lots of other cakes for people.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Assistant Moderator

We have something in common the only thing we owed when we got married was our house and our deposit for that was a 1/4 of the asking price, we saved like mad, we owned our cars and bought second hand as we could afford it. DS1 and I talk about it often people trying to live up to expectations of others for your wedding day, its about you and what you want not to please others.
Our honeymoon was a week in a caravan by the beach, wonderful.
My friend went overseas got married had her honeymoon on her trip then came back and just had a bbq party to celebtae here.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I know what you mean, we have bought all of our vehicles second hand and so we own them outright. We didn't buy brand new appliances until 2000 and that was only a refrigerator and this year we purchased a brand new dryer. As the old one we bought new in 1995 finally wore out , which is the age of the house, we bought in 2000. As we rented for years until we found a house we wanted after we got a loan to buy a house. We looked for 2 years until we found this place and are now so happy after 6 years of living here. It is the same age as our daughter, so it is easy to remember the age of the house for us. It is so nice to own a home and know our money is going towards the mortgage and not towards renting anymore. We worked hard to get our house too. The other places were older and so it is nice to have a newer home than what we were used to. We went to a nearby town, about 2 hours or so away that had some neat things to see and do and and stayed at a motel there and saw some singing shows and attractions in the area that were free too.

Take care and God bless

Closed Thread