Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Family Corner Photo Album Our members LOVE sharing photographs! Whether it's pets, babies, scenic shots or what have you, come check them out here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ahhhh! thank you, Amanda.. I thought I was getting old...

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 08-20-2004, 02:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

new to the group

Hi there. I'm new to the site and this subject seemed to be a good place to start. I have always had pets growing up and it seems it has followed me into my adult life. I think I have sucker written on my face but I end up with all the ones (critters) that nobody else wants or will take. I'm trying to attach a picture of the pack, so I hope it works. All of my dogs are rescues and are mutts, except for maybe the shepard (he could be pure but...). Its taken time and training to help them integrate into the family but they are all well behaved and love getting to go on trips in the car. You ought to see the looks we get at the stop sign.

Hope you all enjoy the picture, I have enjoyed reading all of your posts.

Jennifer
Attached Images

-- Dereke Bruce
Old 08-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Jennifer

I'm honored to meet you, girl! I love what you've done, and that you've trained your dogs. What a beautiful picture! Pat yourself on the back, you have done a wonderful job!....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 08-20-2004, 08:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank You, they are one of the things I am most proud of. There are a lot of things I am working towards...new marriage, finishing school, etc., but I know that I will never not be devoting a great portion of my life to helping the critters. Rescuing/Taking in older animals can be challenging but I have never had a regret yet (except not getting to see what cute puppies they were). I have learned to have a healthy respect when I begin training a dog with a history that I do not know, for example I believe Holly (the yellow lab mix) was abused. She cowered all the time and it was only after lots of love and rewarding that she became the confidant and people loving dog she is today.

Each one of them has forced me to reevaluate and invent new ways to get into their heads and help them understand what they need to be doing. Through all of it though the most important thing (which has been said here before) is that they never doubted who was in charge. I am the head of the pack and they take their cues from me. It has helped so much with my shepard because he is a male and feels that he needs to be in charge but once he learned that is not his responsibility it has helped him to clam down and relax.

I will say though, that statring with an older dog does put some limitation on what I will expect to be able to teach them to do. All of them know sit, stay, stop, the basics, but only some can shake, some can dance (the tiny one, its very cute), and some can high five (the beagle mix). For example, Holly will not lie down, she always rolls over and the more I try to get her to stay up the more submissive she gets. So instead of pressing the issue, I just ask for down and over, its good enough for me and less stressing for her.

So when people ask how do you live with five dogs in the house (along with the cats, ferret, and fish). I reply, "with patience, realism (they are dogs and dogs will be dogs) and lots of pet food. Oh and with the motto that unconditional love deserves to be loved unconditionaly."

Thanks you for letting me go on about my fur kids.

Jennifer

"If you consider that we cannot save them all, and what difference does one make? You ought to know the joy of the one who is saved. Mourn those we cannot save. It is a eulogy to their being. Do not let their loss be in vain" - Jim Willis 2001

-- Dereke Bruce

Last edited by eldridge; 08-20-2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi all,

I want to say I love the doggy photos, OH and the humans too!!! I would love to know the trick for getting the five dogs to pose so nicely!

I have 3 dogs a long haired dachsund mix Shadow, a lab mix Max,and a yorkie poo Prince Elvis (6mo) and he is the Alpha male of the group. All 7 lbs of him!!!! I would have more dogs also but Hubby threatened divorce after the 3rd one. Oh well my dogs are more loving but they just can't pay the bills!

Alice
Old 08-21-2004, 02:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh Jennifer...What a great photo!!! I just it!! They all look like they just go together- a nice big family... We have 12 foxhounds, as of this past Sunday, and one Husky and one mixed breed that we adopted about 7 or 8 years ago.... We love every one of them, but boy they can eat up some food.

This is one of our dogs, Davy- he has a lot of personality! Just adores little kids...
Attached Images

Unknown
Old 08-29-2004, 06:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

Lhasa Apso dogs can be nippy and are very possesive at times to, poodles and lhasas are high maintence dogs as are Shih Tzu's. Have you thought of a Labrador retriever, Bassset Hounds are great with kids as well. Importantly how much time do you have to spend on caring for a dog.
I personally have 2 Shih Tzu's and think they are wonderful they love the grandkids when thy come over. They play with them etc. Mine are in full coat so that means grooming everyday. Being a small dog they aren't yappy but do let me know when someone is at the door. Get some books froom the library or go online and take a look around at the different breeds and then decide what you'd like and go and study it's characteristics etc. Find a good kennel and go and look and see if you like what you see. Please don't buy a puppy from a pet store as you more than likely are getting a puppy from a puppy mill and don't even know it.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well, after reading about all of your beautiful babies and seeing your pictures, what kind of a mommy would I be if I didn't post a pic of my two "kids" (the furry ones anyway!)

Kita (the smaller one) is a Shepard / Husky mix that I rescued at 11 weeks old. She and her mommy and a sister were taken from their owner for neglect / cruelty. They were left outside with no shelter or food/water for 5 days. She's quite a little spitfire! She is now just about 6 months old and will be going in for her spay surgery in a few weeks. She is definitely momma's girl as she follows me everywhere! In fact, she's curled up by my feet under the desk right now! LOL

Riley is a Shepard / Lab mix who we rescued about 6 weeks ago. He is only 15 months old and had been at the shelter for over 6 months. The lady who runs the shelter said people were put off by his size and energy level. He is just a big baby! (He's 101lbs) The picture doesn't give a true impression of his size! For comparison, Kita is a bout 30lbs in the picture. I have to give him 1000mgs of Glucosamin/Condroitin and 500mg of fish oil every day because he has problems with his joints after spending so much time in a kennel.

The two of them get along great and just want to run and play together all day. The both love to go for a swim in the creek behind our house every chance they get! Riley is especially fond of the water - he'll dive for rocks that we throw in. Kita likes to wade, but doesn't like to go where she can't touch bottom.

Well, I've rambled on long enough! I hope the picture posts all right, it will be my first attempt!
Attached Images

Last edited by stacik; 09-01-2004 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:42 PM

Awesome photos, thanks so much for sharing and telling us a little about your babies.

Anna
Old 09-02-2004, 02:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

It looks to me as if they are the best of buddies. You should be commended on taking in recues dogs.
I have a 9 yr old Basset, Fred that at the age of 4 yrs took on looking out for Mommy. I'd had back surgery and it left me unstable on my feet. Soevery now and then I'll sort of stumbe and Fred would tighten the leash in the opposite direction to keep me on my feet. How he knows when it will happen I don't know, because I don't even know. He'll go up the stairs ahead of me to go in building, stan on the top step and porch and lean into the leash and collar to help me pull on the railing and him to get up the stairs. Last year he was diagnosed with Osteo Arthritus as well in his front legs and in his right rear hip and leg. So him and I take our glucosamine every day.
My other 2 are Shih Tzus and are real lap dogs. Mitzi was got for Fred as he seemed so lonley after his 2 Basset friends passed over the bridge due to old age. I kept the fined bone girl as well.

Closed Thread