Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Family Corner Photo Album Our members LOVE sharing photographs! Whether it's pets, babies, scenic shots or what have you, come check them out here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

cynstenquist , Thanks now all i have to do is go get all the stuff and im set hope i can find it all

Old 10-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Assistant Moderator

cynstenquist, that is how I paint on jars too. Have you ever used a candle holder, sitting in the mouth of the jar with a candle in it? I really like them like that. I don't have a camera so I can't post pictures.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm curious ladies. they all look like mayo/miracle whip jars. where can you find the votive candle holders to insert in them?
Old 10-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Assistant Moderator

I buy the candle holders that are clear glass but are made in the same shape as terra cotta pots. I buy them at WalMart. And yes, I use MC jars. I cover the threads in the jar with ribbon. You can put gravel in the bottom of the jar and set a candle in the jar without the glass holder. Those are cute too.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hey there Connie, yes I do use little glass votive cups as well as terra cotta pots. I get the little bell shape kind that sit flush with the top of the jars (pint jars)

Another fun idea is to do a reverse stencil on the jar so that the opening shows off the candle inside the jar!!! I've seen some patterns that make the jars look like lanterns where the only the posts are painted on the jars in a rust color and the candle sits inside. Really cute to hang outside on a shepherd's hook!!! Or star pattern and use outside during the Holidays.

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?
Old 10-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Very cute!!

Hi Ladies!! I just found this thread, there is soooo many threads and not enough time!!!Since alot of u know I collect Teddy Bears I have to say the Teddy Bear Jar is adorable, I make alot of lamps out of unusual things and I think that would be an adorable lamp!!!!

Sandie

Everybody needs a little tender luvin bear!!
Old 10-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sandie, love the bear flying high with his balloons! You'll have to post some pix of your lamps. They sound fun and unique.

Hey connie, what do you use to seal or varnish your paint job on your jars? I use the Perm Enamel Glaze but I talked with a rep from Delta who makesthis product and she advised that I not do this because I could run into problems down the road because it was designed to use with PermEnamel paints and not acrylics. I'm afraid to use anything else because I don't think I could get the same hard enamel protective finish. I haven't run into problems yet and I've been painting this way for a couple of years now.

Sandie, I found some wonderful and cute bear patterns and I'm going to try my hand at it again. I made a potted lamp for my sis' first baby and stamped and painted a bear on the pot. I painted a plaid rim and we found a cute denim shade to go on top. It was cute. I want to free hand and handpaint a bear. Let you know how it goes.

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?
Old 10-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Assistant Moderator

I use acrylic sealer. Folk Art makes a good one. I have also used sealers from the hardware dept. They are cheaper at times. I use acrylic paints too. Gesso to prime.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Connie, does the FA sealer provide enough protection for everyday use or ocassional water clean-up?

My FC Member Awards!

Curious?
Old 10-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Cyn, The bear lamp sounds cute!! As soon as I go digital
with pictures I'll post some, Im doing good just learning the pc right now LOL!!Ive made quite afew lamps with Bear themes(ofcourse) You always have to smile when you can look at a cuddly bear staring at you!!
Have a great wk.end
Sandie

Closed Thread