my child and church... - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Faith Topics Share joys, concerns, join our prayer corner, talk about church, or just find someone to lean on.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

my child and church...

Hello everyone

My name is Lilly and I am a newbie here at family corner.

The advice i seek is on whether to allow my daughter to attend church. see, i am not Christian, or of any other organized religion. I believe it the truth in all religions and not to condemn others who believe differently than someone else. In my experience that has been alot of what i have seen in most Christians (not all, please dont be offended) My issue is, my parents want to take my 7 year old daughter to church with them, and i am not sure if i want her to attend and gain that condemning attitude that i grew up seeing...

any advice is great!

thanks!
Lilly
Old 02-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi lily,

Nice to see you on the forums. I am sorry you have experienced condemnation from Christians. I myself am a Christian and have experienced some difficulties from my fellow believers.

I think the condemning starts when we take our eyes off of Jesus. Instead of looking UP we start looking around at each other, and begin trying to remove the specks from each others eyes.

The decision to let your daughter attend church has to be decided by you, your husband, and God.

I hope everything works out for you and your daughter.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Welcome, Lilly

Dawn makes a good point about the condemning attitude.

It may be that your parents' church has changed, and the attitude is different now than when you grew up there. I would say, don't close the door on this possibility. And be open YOURSELF to attending with your child. If you feel that your parents' church would not be the right one, perhaps you could ask a friend who attends church to take your whole family so you could explore it.

Your parents may want to take your daughter with them because you are not taking her to church. If you found a church that fits with your family, they might be satisfied with that and not pressure you to attend a particular one.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lilly, I fully understand where you are. We decided to let our children go with their gm and aunt on special days at their church. It was a lot of fun and everyone was happy. My kids learned a lot and my inlaws were pleased to have them join them.
Everyone is correct in that it is up to you to decide. I know there can be a lot of pressure, but ultimately, she is your daughter and you know what is best. Good luck and I am thinking of you.

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Taking Daughter to Church

Religion is such a controversial subject - What we believe, we all believe so strongly & we want everyone else to believe likewise - True, there are those who think they are better than others just because of what they believe, but we shouldn't feel that all are like that because of the actions of a few - I would never try to tell another parent what to do with their child, but I do feel that all the options should be made open to the child, so that they can make their own choice & decision about what they want to believe in their life - I am a christian & have been since I was 9 - It's a big part of what my life is about - I would never condemn anyone for not believing as I do - Jesus said, Judge not lest ye be judged.......Good luck with your decision!!!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Assistant Moderator

Lilly
Welcome to FC, and glad you are asking, instead of '
shutting the door.
I believe you have found some great replies, and I will
agree with them.
it your choice, and no one should judge you except for
the LORd for what you do or don't do.
Keep in mind no matter if it is church or something else
you going to have folks that will judge but that
is wrong. They may judge your actions which is ok, for our
actions speaks louder than anything, but it not on the person,
hope that makes sense.
I do not judge on going to church or not, and know
many that doesn't go to church but believe in GOD,JESuS,
Church will help you or should help you in learning about
GOD, if not then it the wrong church.
Like someone mention go with your child to see what
they are teaching. I believe your parents wants
to take your child just like I wanted to take mine
to church with me when thier mom didn't go.
it because of seveal reasons.
one was because it was a event I took part in, and believe
in.
another was to let them learn about JESUS, for when they learn]
they in due time they will be able to make thier own mind up
in accepting or not accepting, but how can they know
the difference if they never go or allow to go.
again hope this makes sense.

How old are your kids? Don't allow yourself be influence by one or two people actions toward you for we all make mistakes and is one reason we do need JESUS.. He can forgive us, and will do so... GOD accepts you for who you are, and the way you are....FOR HE loves you so very much as well as your kids.
Hugs