Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Exercise and Equipment Looking into a stair climber? Maybe a treadmill? Talk to others here and ask their opinions.

Old 06-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question The Firm Workout System

I'm in need of info from my fellow FamilyCorner members--I'm 43 and need to lose about 90 lbs to be at my "ideal weight" of 120 lbs. My DH-44- also needs to lose a good bit. I saw a infomercial about the "Firm Workout System and it looked pretty good?? Basically low impact--my knees aren't so good and DH had back problems--not something that will have you totally huffing and puffing by the time you're done.

Has anyone out there tried this sytem?? If so, what did you think of it?? Did it do all that it's advertised to do??

I know that just this program alone isn't going to "do it" for us--we are planing to also try Herbalife--my DH was on it before and did very well...modify our diet and doing a basic walking routine to start with to build up our strength since we are both pretty (OK-very- ) out of shape.

Any info you can give would be of great help--I hate to go out and get something only to find that it's a bust in the end--I know my fellow FCers will let me know "the facts"!! ;-)

Last edited by klcrn; 06-26-2003 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:09 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

If you have bad knees be careful if you decide to use The Firm. Yes, it is low impact but does involve step aerobics and some of the strength training involves stepping up on a 14 inch step in the advanced level. If you use this program start out VERY slow. You will huff and puff. I've been doing The Firm for about 8 months and it does work. Just be prepared - it's not easy. May I suggest Walk Away the Pounds for a good low impact aerobic workout that is easy on the joints to start with. It's a great indoor walking program that will get results. The set has light weights with it that you can use while you walk once you get into it. Hope you find this info useful.

Deborah
Old 06-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Deborah!!

Thanks for the info-- I knew my fellow FCers would let me down!!

I know that I will have to start out VERY SLOW with anything I do-I'm WAY out of shape and with the weight I need to lose-- but I have made up my mind that I'm ready to do something about it!

It's so hard to judge if something will actually work by seeing it on TV--of course they always show people working out on it that really "don't need" to work out!! They already look awesome-- I figured that if I got "insider" info-it would help me decide. I liked that it looking like it involved a lot of stretching type movements also.

Could you give me more info on the Walking Away The Pounds program?? It sounds interesting. Is it something you can buy or is it on the internet? My DH and I are planning to do a lot of walking-we live in a very nice area that's great for walking around. Now if I can sneak out without the 4 yr old and the dog!! Hard to do productive walking when you have to wait for the kid or the dog has to stop and sniff very blade of grass!!

Thanks again for posting--take care--Kim
Old 06-16-2003, 02:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Kim,
Here is the web site so you can get an idea of what it's all about:
http://www.walkaerobics.com/

I bought mine from Amazon. I've seen it at Sam's Club. You can also buy it from QVC. Someone I know bought it from eBay. I liked the set so much I bought the 4 mile walk directly from the In-Home Walking web site. I was already fit from doing The Firm and I've been a fitness walker for a long time. I was skeptical about this program when it was first suggested to me because it looked too easy. I needed to find a way to walk indoors because the heat and humidity are nasty in the summer in Florida and this program was suggested by someone on another message board. I started Walk Away the Pounds about two months ago and have been pleasantly surprised at the good workout I am able to get. Not that age really matters but I'm 50. Good Luck! I know you can do it.

Deborah
Old 06-25-2003, 11:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

With the issues (bad knees, bad back) you outlined, if you have the opportunity to take water aerobics, that would really work well for you. Low impact, resistance from the water and you aren't aggravating anything that already hurts. You should both check with your doctors before doing ANYTHING though.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

The Firm / Walk Away The Pounds

Hello, I too have the WATP videos. I love them I do the 3 mile. If you do by the set buy the one with the weights. It comes with a 1 mile (23 mins), 2 mile (35 mins.), 3 miles (48 mins.) I also have the one for the Abs with the waist band but don't like it as much. Leslie Sansone is the instructor. She doesn't use the waist band very much. I needed to tone up my arms and found using the weights has helped alot. At first I didn't use the weights and believe me you will definitely feel it. Now I use the weights the whole way thru the video. I bought a pair of 2 pound weights also because once a week I go over to my mother's and we do the 1 mile tape, she is very over weight way thru she will sit for a minute but keep moving her feet. Just to keep up the heart rate.
Drink lots of water during exercise.

I also bought the Firm tapes and I feel they are very advanced. They don't explain the moves during the exercise very well before or during changes. If you have bad knees using the step with aggreviate the situation.

I have lost 38 pounds and have gone from a size 22 to a almost a 16. I have been on Weight Watchers also. It is a great program, you get support and learn alot of tips for losing weight. I like having a night to go out and getting to mingle with other people and my mom. You and your husband can go or if money is tight just one of you. You will get all the info and if its like my household I do all the cooking and grocery shopping anyway.

I hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 06-26-2003, 07:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle THANKS!!!

Glad you started this thread! I checked out the WATP site and got one of the beginner packages. Looks like something I can use to work up to using my Sweating to the Oldies tapes again!

With my fibro and arthritis I need something that lets me start *real* slow and drop back as needed. I also need something I *will* do! This looks good! Maybe I can get dd to come over and do it with me!

Cheerio!
Old 06-26-2003, 07:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think you'll like WATP. There is no wrong way to do it. You do what is best for you. Even my 76 year old mom is doing it. It's a great program.

Deborah
Old 06-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks!!

That's why I started this thread--I knew that I would get honest info from ladies who had used the products.

The "Walking" program sounds good--I think some of my knee problems are due to my weight but some is something else...I've had "weak knees" since I was in high school when I weighed about 100 lbs-

My DH and I have decided that July 1st will be "THE DAY" that we will start our new lives...we are going to both start an exersize program and start doing herbalife to lose weight..... with 3 sons ages 21--13--and 4---we want to be around to see ALL of our grandchildren.

I'll keep ya posted on who we do.....

Thanks again ladies.....Kim
Old 07-24-2003, 05:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Kim!

I just saw this post and it's now the 24th of July so I'm wondering... how is your new life going? Are you doing the Firm or WATP? I have the firm - it's a tough workout (for me) but it works. I haven't tried WATP, but I think I will since it got such praise from the other FC members I've been doing Atkins on and off since January. I just started back on it seriously on July 14 and have lost 11 pounds so now I need to get my butt in gear... literally! Anyway, I just wanted to see how it was going and hopefully give you a little encouragement -- You can do it!!
;-) ;-) ;-)

Keep your words soft and tender as you may have to eat them tomorrow!