Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Exercise and Equipment Looking into a stair climber? Maybe a treadmill? Talk to others here and ask their opinions.

Old 01-19-2003, 07:08 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Anyone joined Curves?

Hi All -
Just wanted to ask if anyone has joined a Curves fitness center. I'm cosidering joining one that opened near me, and would like to find out more about it before I go...what it entails, is it something I'll have to FORCE myself to do (LOL!), and how it works financially. I've got to do SOMETHING, I've got two free hours on weekdays while both my kids are in school, and I would love for Curves to be as perfect as it sounds, but our budget is super-tight and I don't want to be talked into anything once I get there! Any help from anyone who has joined Curves would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

Laurie
Old 01-25-2003, 09:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I dont know how much they charge for a membership per month, but I`ve been looking around at a lot of fitnesscenters here where I live (St Louis area). All of them were very expensive and we couldnt afford it. Then I found a YMCA! They charge 30$ per month and you can attend all their step- and cardiofitnessclasses, use the workout-equipment and the pool. If you want to use the childcarecenter it`s only 1$ per child for the month. Maybe you could find a YMCA near you.
Once you start getting into a fitnessroutine its actually fun! I never wanted to go work out, till a friend convinced me to go with her and try last march. Now I LOVE it! step-aerobics is a lot of fun and they always have good music playing! I lost 10 pounds since last march!
Good luck to you !!!
Old 01-25-2003, 10:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just last night we went to dinner with some friends and she was telling me that she joined a couple weeks ago. I asked her the details, as DH & I have belonged to the "Y" for about 2.5 yrs & neither of us ever even darken the doors - I think we've been ONCE.

She told me that there is a 1-time fee of ?? if I recall correctly ?? about $50-$60, then monthly pmt of $25 or so. As someone else mentioned, Curves places are popping up like popcorn all around here! She explained that there are ?? 10 or so machines & if I understood her correctly, there are those little trampolines between each one. The 'routine' seems to be that you go in, get on a machine that isn't being occupied & begin there. After 30 seconds, a leader calls for switching, & everyone goes to the next machine in the circuit. I guess the trampolines are used if the all the machines are taken??? or perhaps to use if you don't want to use the particular machine that's next in your path? She said they play really upbeat music, the entire process takes 37 minutes and she loves it.

My friend's had a problem in her neck (pulled muscle or ligaments or ???) & has had LOTS of pain/problems with it for a couple of years & goes to massage therapy weekly. Her therapist has told her (after only 8 or 9 workouts at Curves) that the muscles around the strained area are responding very well and that this has been extremely good for her.....if she continues, she will probably not need therapy much longer. The machines are all "resistance-type" apparently especially designed for women. Jayni couldn't praise the place enough and I'm seriously considering canceling our membership at the "Y" & using half that monthly pmt to go to Curves.

Don't know about pricing anywhere else, but we live about 45 min. outside Houston, TX. Oh, and J says there are Curves all over the world and that you receive some kind of little passkey that is good for ANY of them, ANY where. The hours are 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. so you can go anytime convenient for you - it's not like the "Y" in that there aren't set schedules for the particular classes. She has discovered that there are a couple of really busy times at the couple she's used....around noon and then again around 5:30.

Best wishes to you & if you join I hope you enjoy it even half as much as my friend/neighbor!!! She is such a good spokesperson for them that she should get a discount!!
Old 01-25-2003, 01:07 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I joined 3 weeks ago, a new one opened near me, it is on my way home from work, I mean exactly on my way home so no problems not getting there. I am heavy and wear a lot of stretch pants so I just bring sneakers and go as is.
It is like $60 to join and $29 a month, the Y near me is near $50 a month now for a single for the pool and all. I cannot afford it and it seems to increase it's price every six months or so. This was better for me, the Y I would have to go a diff way.
It is machines and rest stations, much like PACE or VERT the faster you go the more resistance the more a workout but you can do what you can do.....I actually HATE the one machine and have tried it several times and have noticed my back ( I have a bad back) hurting after so I do not do it, maybe once I am in better shape.....
it only takes 30 mins, that is another thing I like. They are franchises and imitators are cropping up now too I have noticed.
They also have a diet plan that is included but since this center is new they are not doing it yet.
You can go to other locations if you have to travel you just have to get a "travel pass" these are good for 1 month.
Good Luck....whatever you choose just Do something
Old 01-25-2003, 01:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am not a member but my mom is. I talked to her and she said...
the stations are set up in a circle it is a machine then a "standing station" the standing station could be a mini tramp or an arobics step type things. you rotate after every 30 seconds to the next station and take your pulse every 7 min. the "classes or workouts" last 30 min total. here in washington state it costs $300 for the year-no mo pymts (maybe mo pymts are an option though-not sure)you can go as many times as you want every week.
they put your name up (optional) on the wall in a star and for every lb you lost a weigh & measure time they put a ribbon on your star. I believe weigh in's are once every 2 weeks.
my mom says it is great and I know it is the first fitness place she has ever been able to stay with. she is loosing weight slowly but steadly and she goes typically 3 times a week.
she says that it is a fitness club for real women no men no children- not sure if they have any type of child care or not but I don't think so.
hope this helps
Old 01-25-2003, 03:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

:p WOW! Thanks, ladies, for all the helpful info! As soon as our budget allows, I'm going to call Curves and hopefully get started. From what you're all describing, it sounds just right for me - though I really hope they have a monthly payment plan.....
Many thanks again for all your help!

Laurie
Old 01-25-2003, 03:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Curves in Fairwood, WA

I joined Curves 4 months ago when my son was 2 months old. I can't imagine myself joining a gym so soon after childbirth (he is my third) but the program is so great, and fast. The location I go to is 5 minutes away and the workout itself is only 30 minutes. I can leave and workout and be back in less than an hour. I haven't changed my eating habits at all but have lost a total of 12 inches from the different areas they measure. (Waist, chest, hips, arms calves and thighs) I skipped my January weigh in because I was afraid I would be discouraged after the holidays but I am in there 3-4 times a week and my husband thinks I am loosing weight. We will see what February's weigh in and measurement says. We weigh in once a month but it is not mandatory.
Some of the things I love about curves are that 1) No Mirrors 2) No men (or women trying to impress men) 3) the way the circuit is set up it is easy to talk to other women, and it makes the 30 minutes fly by and 4) you don't really get sore (somthing about the hydrolic machines)

If you are interested, i would look at the website www.curvesforwomen.com and perhaps go in to the facility and check it out. I also purchased the book (don't remember the name but it was only $5 at Curves)

My dues were about $50 to join (one time for a lifetime) and $29 a month fixed for as long as I am a member. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them. And maybe I will post my progress after next weigh in. Good luck

Lindy
Gus 7/02
Old 01-25-2003, 11:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

A word of caution

I joined a Curves two years ago. It seemed great at the time, but there is absolutely no one there that was trained or certified in exercise physioogy, like ther is at a gym.

Like Catlady said. you are pretty much on your own to determine if the exercise that you get on the machines is good for you or not. Her back is bothering her, and she is deciding wether or not to use one of the machines on the circut and continue with the others? That's not such a good exercise plan.

I ended up injuring myself pretty badly listening to the " no pain no gan" advice of the people there. I'm still in physical therapy two years later.

They just encouraged me to keep with it, and little by little I was wearing away my joints...it seemed I was developing an arthritic condition that any certified fitness trainer would have spotted.

So it may be cheaper and more convenient thatn the gym or physical therapy, but it's run and staffed by franchisees... not by certified trainers.. just something to keep in mind.

I did like it while I was starting out... I'm not saying it wasn't fun... Just bear in mind, it has it's risks, as it's not the best supervised exercise program out there.

Val
Old 01-26-2003, 08:21 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have tried Gold's gym....the only time you got a fitness trainer was when you paid extra for it other than that they would say "Hi" and tell you if you were doing an exercise wrong, other than that you were on your own.
At the Y was pretty much the same thing, you came in did your thing and left and after your first meeting w/ the fitness guru you saw had no one on one time unless you paid for it.
I figure curves is no worse than having an exercise machine at home except for the socialization part. And I could not afford this many machines.
I have been through physical therapy enough to know to listen to my body and these machines do not push you past a normal range of motion or anything it is I am very overweight and I have a bad back and I mean bad ( 3 buldging discs) to start with and I have fibromyalgia I think we all should listen to our bods especially as we get older.
Ruth
Old 01-26-2003, 09:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ruth,

Wow.. I didn't realize how much we had in common...

All this time, we have been exchanging recipies, and not histories! LOL!

I too am overweight and have a bad back. As a result of job injuries, I have had two disc surgeries, developed fibromyalgia, nerve damage, facette joint syndrome and arthritis in my spine. I have been partially disabled and on worker's compensation for almost 15 years as a result.

I also have a bulging disc in my neck and arthritis and chiari malfirmation in my neck. ( Not to mention the carpal tunnel syndrome migraines, and miriad of other health issues that I won't bore you with.. LOL! )

When I was doing the fitness program at the local JCC (YWHA) the fitness instructors were all over the place... really giving personalized attention. This was my only Gym membership experience and it was wonderful. It wasn't as intense an instruction and oversight as physical therapy, but we were all very well supervised by these certified trainers, and it cost no extra money. ( Perhaps if there is a JCC in your community you should look into it. )

But my membership had expired, and Curves had opened up, and since it was a lot cheaper I tried it.

I developed damage as a result of the "circut training" approach. I just turned out that this type of programming was not good for me, probably because of my disabilities. BUT.. They knew all about my disabilities BEFORE I signed up. They had all my medical forms and told me they were well equipped to meet my needs. I got all my money back, and they paid my medical expenses without a law suit, excepting full responsibility. So, that was fine with me.

But you are right. We all need to listen to our bodies. I instead listened to "Bunny" who kept telling me how "great I was doing", and that I just needed to "ease up a bit for now" and I'd "get get the hang of it in a few more weeks".... I was accustomed of trusting my "trainers" ... Now I know better. I just learned that lesson a lot harder than you did.