Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Exercise and Equipment Looking into a stair climber? Maybe a treadmill? Talk to others here and ask their opinions.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

iwillbe165

Great going! It seems like it's working for you. Congratulations to you and all the other ladies losing all those inches and pounds!
Old 08-26-2003, 11:04 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

iwillbe165, that is great!! Keep up the good work! 60 lbs in 5 months is awesome! Wish I could lose that much lol! I just started going again today--I had a ball. It was good to see everyone, a lot of the women have lost a lot over the few months I've been away. Hopefully, I'll get rid of this last 45-50 pounds by the end of the year!
Old 08-26-2003, 02:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Mrsmaniac

If you have the will, you'll find the way! Then after the holidays, you'll have to go back to lose the holiday pounds. It's one big circle, huh? Best of luck to you!
Old 08-29-2003, 10:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Curves.

Curves is a franchise so if you have bad employees pushing you then you need to find another one. ALWAYS check with your doctor before starting ANY new workout routine. I recently spoke on Light adn Simple cooking at one and they all seemed very happy and the staff was very well trained. I was wanting to join however I already ahve a membership at 24hour fitness which is very convienent and gives me no excuse not to go. They are alwsy open!! The curves program helps you lose inches not weight. In order to lose weight too you HAVE to change your eating habits.

It pretty much boils down to eat right and excercise. you don't need a gym emmbership to stay in shape. I don't know about everyone else but I am overweight because I eat horiibly and make every excuse in the world not to workout.

TX Chef Fran
Old 08-29-2003, 10:27 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Me, too, Txchef_fran!! I can't complain about not losing weight faster as I stuff a box of cookies in my mouth!! I am breaking the cycle, though. The less I eat the junk, the less I want it. Soon I'll be at the point I won't even want it--already my stomache recoils at the thought of eating overly-sweet stuff(Twinkies, donuts, etc). So I know I'm making progress!! I wish we had a 24-hr place around here--it would be so much more convenient!!

Made it to the gym 3 times this week--would be more but they closed for the weekend to move to a new building. Hopefully, they'll get a butterfly machine!

Also, you can e-mail complaints to Gary--he has no patience with rude, half-trained employees! I don't know the exact e-addy, but any Curves employee can give it to you!
Old 03-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Doesn't look like anyone's been on this thread for awhile...

But I just thought I'd add my two cents worth anyway

I joined Curves about 4 months ago. I absolutely love it! I have lost 10 pounds and lots of inches. I like the fact that it's only women and it goes by quickly while we all chat about all kinds of things. It's much easier for me to stay motivated this way than trying to exercise at home alone.

Like others have said...the machines are hydraulic and you control the amount of your workout by how fast you use the machines. We have nine different machines so far at the Curves I go to, I think there are a total of 12 or 13 available.

It's lots of fun and good for your health and your self esteem. I think I heard there was a 1 week free pass to see if you liked it before you would join, but I'm not sure about that. It would be worth checking into if you think you might like it.

Terri
~tidbit~
Old 03-05-2004, 05:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Tidbit - this is the weirdest thing (the Twilight Zone music is going through my head). I started this thread SO long ago and guess when I finally joined Curves? TODAY! How funny?? Thanks for all your input - so far I agree with you 100% and I love it. The people are so friendly, the music is great (and very motivating!) and I found it much easier than I thought it would be, though I know I got a good workout by the way I'm feeling tonight! I think I'm really going to be successful with this - thanks for your post and your good wishes!

Laurie
Old 03-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Laurie....

The people at the Curves I go to are very friendly too....the trainers and the ones there working out. We all chit chat about all kinds of things.This Curves just opened last October, I joined the middle of November. I surprised myself that I have kept it up so easily. The 30 minutes goes by so fast!

Like you, I love the upbeat music they play....it just helps keep you wanting to move.

I'm glad you joined and are enjoying it so far. I hope you aren't too sore after your first workout!

Take care and keep posting as you go.....let me know if you are still enjoying it after you get a few workouts in.

Terri
~tidbit~
Old 04-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Terri & Laurie, How is it going at Curves? I just joined today with my sister!!! Im excited about going, although I cant say that the group that was in there exercising today seemed all that friendly. It was late today though and I hope to do this more in the morning when I get used to it. We have our training day on Mon. at 4:00.

After reading about their diet plan, its quite similar to the SB diet and Atkins......although they have a protein shake that they use too. Im not going to do that because Im currently doing Atkins.

Does your Curves have a lot of games and challenges going on? Ive read in this Curves newsletter that they do have some stuff on the bulletin boards. I have to check them out on Mon.

I wish that they would weight and measure more often than once a month. I dont think thats enough so I will do my own at home in between.

How about a progress report from everyone that is still participating at a Curves?

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

well, I ended up joining curves and stayed about 3 months. I lost 11/2 inches and found that the staff were not overly helpful or friendly. Also, it took more like an hour + by the time you change, do your stretching and travel etc.
Since then, I have purchased an xlglider and am doing one mile per day. I have lost to date (about 2 months - I don't necessarily do it on weekends) 7 inches. And I can do that workout in 15 minutes by just going down to the basement. I listen to Joyce Meyer tapes while I exercise. Spiritual workout too!!
I don't think I would ever join curves again. It works for some but if it is a challenge to get the time to go there (I have children and a 3/4 time job along with a ministry within the local church) it might not work for you.