Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Exercise and Equipment Looking into a stair climber? Maybe a treadmill? Talk to others here and ask their opinions.

Old 08-07-2003, 07:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I would like to join some kind of place like this. Is this place proven to work? Are you supposed to go on a diet of some sorts to go along with it? Ive read that each exercise is done for only 30 seconds .....this makes me wonder if that is enough time for anything to actually work?

I would hate to sign up for something like this and then find out it was a big hoax.

Will you give some details about your experience? Id love to hear first hand from someone who has done it.

Thanks!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-08-2003, 03:33 AM
Nine Year Member

My Sister has been going to curves for over a month now. She has not lost any weight yet but has lost inches. She too enjoys going after work for about an hour does two sets of exercises. The only thing she hates is they close from 1o - 3o for lunch. Think they would get more people joining if they stayed open during those hours? let you know how she progresses. She has a nice shape for her age but wants to look even better.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Tami,

Since I just joined, I don't have any personal experience but I can tell you that they have a chart on the board where they put the inches people have lost on it when they measure each month and I have spoken with several women who have lost inches. One had lost 17 inches overall and she looked really good--very firm and lifted. Another gal had lost 12 inches overall and was getting ready for her next measurement and another had lost 7 inches.

My remeasure day is on or about the 8th of each month so I'll have to let you guys know.

As far as a diet that you go on; there is a book they have which suggests some diet plans for you but my place doesn't push their plan. They suggest you watch what you eat and that you drink water. Several of the ladies who have been there when I've been exercising are doing weight watchers. I myself and trying to watch my carb intake.

Hope this helped!
Old 08-16-2003, 02:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Curves

Although I have only been going to Curves for about 3 weeks I can say that I love what I have seen so far. I used to be an avid exerciser, although due to one little one not liking the gym daycare, difficult pregnancies, and health problems my days at the gym are currently over. This workout only takes 30 minutes, and during this time I feel like I get a workout. It really depends on how much you put into it. You can go the easy way and exert little effort... or you can go for it. Plus, at only 30 minutes, it isn't a huge block of time to make arrangements for the kids, yet just enough time for a break in your day. There has been a lot of attention to the Curves philosophy and program (I too checked it out on the internet before deciding), as well as recommended by my doctor. I hope this helps some.

Priscilla
Old 08-16-2003, 03:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

curves member

I have been a member for over a year and I've lost 39 pounds. The intensity of the workout depends on how fast you do the machines on the circuit. Somedays i work hard and others i just take my time. It works because it gives you joints full range of mothion and it keeps your heart rate up for at least 30 min., which I think is the most important thing.

I love the women at curves and how they keep it fun by having games and so forth to encourage you to go.

My mother is 74 and she does curves in her hometown. We have some very large ladies in our club and no one makes fun of them, but we do encourage them and praise them for the effort. And members will help these ladies on and off of the machines if they need help.

We also exchange ideas on food and other exercises or we just laugh and talk or not as the mood seems fit.

I would encourage anyone to give it a try and see how they like it.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:13 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I didn't read this entire thread, so I apologize if this has already been said. I was going to Curves for a year--I only stopped due to our financial situation. I'm considering starting again once the dk's are in school.

Anyways--it's basically just circuit training on hydraulic machines. The motions are smooth, and the way the machines are designrd, the harder you push, the more resistance there is. YOU control the intensity of the workout. In between each machine is a "recovery station"--our are like little trampolines(meaning they are somewhat bouncy, but not meant for jumping lol!). You use these to maintain your heart rate--some people jog on them, march on them, etc. Others that are just starting out literally just stand there. There is a squat machine(fondly known as "the Beast" lol) that a lot of people have problems with--some have back problems(old injuries, etc) and simply just skip over that one. Most times, though, they just have weak back muscles that are objecting to being used, and given time the muscles get stronger.

They do have a diet plan and offer classes, but it's not neccessary to participate. The thing I liked the best was that it was so quick--you go in, jump on the circuit, and you're done. Everyone moves at the same time so you're not stuck waiting for the machines. It does get boring--some people like to mix their workouts up a bit and doing the same thing every day doesn't cut it for them. I personally like getting in and out quickly lol!!

I had read that several people here had problems that were made worse by going to Curves. Pardon me for asking, but were they caused by the workout or would have any type of excercise done it? I'm curious because bad backs, etc run rampant in my family--I'll get any problems checked out so I don't make them worse!!
Old 08-24-2003, 01:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I heard a long time ago that bad backs are the reason most people miss work.

It sounds like fun and they have one less than a mile from me, but I can't drive anymore because of illness so I'd have to walk there and since I don't pick up my right foot well anymore from a stroke, I don't think I would join one because I need to be careful to pick up my foot and I also have a balance and back problem. After considering all the pros & cons, I think I'm going to have to join the health club connected with the hospital here. They have all sorts of machines and a pool and upstairs running track. My DD is a CCU nurse who is now involved with cardiac rehabilation at the hospital and in the health club. She loves it and it gives her more time with her kids. They have classes every day for the people after they get out of the hospital from having heart problems. I think I'd like the walking thread and swimming, although I'd hate putting on a bathing suit since my plavix gives me "old people skin", you know what I'm talking about, the purple things the older generation get on their skin. (Sorry, not intending to hurt anyone's feelings) I'd also be embrassed because my arms have such loose skin. I might have to ask her what they have for that. I'm not going to lift weights, for sure!!! I have no strength in my arms and legs and would like to see if there is a machine for those 2 things. I only weigh 116 lbs. now and I look terrible, like I've been beaten up. We talked about it before. I'm going to have to bring up the subject again on Monday. The parish has a disability van which I can use and it's $2.00 each way. It's cheaper than a cab. I'll let y'all know what I decide. Maybe your community hospital has such a program. ;-)
Old 08-24-2003, 02:37 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Curves

I have been going to Curves for a few months now and am loving it. I enjoy the social aspects as well as the motivational aspects. I was in fairly good shape before but now I am feeling better and looking better too. I have lost at least 5 lbs. and a couple inches.
I like the cyclical format because I don't get bored and I like the fact that there is a beginning and an end because I don't get distracted. I am in and out in good time and got my workout done for the day. I go three times a week and consider it part of "my time". As a mother of three young children, I don't get a lot of that - but it's not too hard to get away from them for 1/2 hour here and there.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:37 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Lisa, and welcome to the boards!! I agree--I have two young kids and really enjoy getting to have a conversation with adults lol!! I'd been going for a year--I am looking forward to going again, which will be at the end of this week. I'm doing well excercisng at home, but enjoy the gym so much more. I still have 45-50 pounds to lose...am aiming for the end of the year!!
Old 08-25-2003, 06:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

reply to curves

i absoluetly LOVE curves. i have been going for about 5 months now. i still have a great
deal of weight to lose, but i think the weight that i have lost so far is pretty good too. i have lost 28" and 60 lbs. i am gonna keep goin there until i am at the
weight i want to be. hope this helps.

just my two cents.
iwillbe165