Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Exercise and Equipment Looking into a stair climber? Maybe a treadmill? Talk to others here and ask their opinions.

Old 01-27-2003, 03:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have my doubts about the exercising routines at Curves. I went and checked one out and it looked too fast, too strenuous on body parts. I think walking and a good stretching program would be more beneficial as opposed to jarring etc. to the body. Remember that whatever you do to your body now, if you do damage etc. it is very difficult to repair the damage.
A friend of mine has been going for several months and she goes, but she hates it. She is not changing her eating habits etc. although she has lost maybe 20 # - I just wonder how long she will keep it off. I think that maybe the best approach is long - term lifestyle changes.....
Old 01-27-2003, 04:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hmmm..I'm certainly glad for all the replies so far! And after further ponderin', I've changed my mind about joining curves. My neighbor truly is sold on them & perhaps it is and will continue to work well for her (only time will truly tell). I have a few physical limitations (BESIDES being overweight and out of shape! ) and have determined the best route for me to take is one through my neighborhood - on a daily basis! I think I'll do exactly what Goria has described...sensible eating and walking! That's most likely the only thing I would be able to "see through to the end" anyway! I've started/dropped out of too many other diets/exercise programs over the years.....
Old 01-27-2003, 06:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Curves

Just wanted to put in my two cents. I am overweight and have really bad knees. I was a member of the Curves program about 2 years ago (I live in northern NC) and as a result exacerbated my bad knees problems.

I joined at the advice of my friend from church, who just happened to be the manager of the local Curves. She assured me that I would not have any problems and that I could just take it easy on the machines that seemed to put stress on my knees.

Not knowing anything about exercise, I went into the program and tried everything out. I found that the machines that did not make me bear weight were okay, but the worst thing for my knees was the aerobic steps in between the machines. When you switch up you are supposed to keep moving in between machines, and I was using the aerobic steps. This killed my knees.

But, this was a personal thing for me. I have many friends who attend the local Curves and they are doing great. We live in a very small town and there are actually 2 franchises within a 15-mile radius of us. If you are in touch with your own body and have some prior knowledge of "weight" and aerobic training, then you probably won't have any problems.

My next-door neighbor is 62 years old, and was about 150 pounds overweight when she began a year ago. She has lost 65 pounds and is moving to her mailbox like a young puppy! So, it can work.

I work at a diet and fitness center (for the very rich or very desperate!) and they stress exercise here all the time. The most beneficial exercise I have seen for very overweight people has been the pool aerobic exercise classes. Not a single one of our clients ever complains about pain (or sweating) when they do these classes and they are losing weight on a consistent basis.

You might want to try finding a pool that you could use. It would be much more comfortable and nonweightbearing on your body!

In addition, walking (even in 10-minute increments) is the best thing for your (female) body. It will help prevent osteoporosis if you are engaged in a regular weightbearing activity, and it can be done at relatively little expense (the proper shoes are everything).

My e-mail is [email protected] if you want to "talk" more about anything. I have great sites, tips, etc. available through my job and would be glad to share them with anyone.

di
Old 01-27-2003, 10:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I love Curves, but check with your dr. first

I am probably 60 pounds overweight and am still new to the Curves thing but I am really enjoying it and haven't had any injuries as a result. I do have a history of bad knees when I run (but at 60 pounds overweigh you won't see me running unless there is a fire!!) but I haven't had any problems with any of the machines. There are a couple women at my Curves that don't do the sqaut machine because of pain. The management at our location encourages each woman to listen to her body. Even though they are franchises they are run by people and people are all different. I am sure we have all heard this so many times but "before you start any exercise program, check with your doctor". This is especially important if you have previous conditions or injuries. Curves works well for me because it is fast and realatively inexpensive. If I didn't have Curves I probably wouldn't be doing anything but complaining about my weight.

We don't have aerobic steps at our Curves (that seems crazy) we just have a "recovery station" and we are instructed that these are to recover from the circuit machines and not intended to increase the heartrate, but to maintain it. When the manager works out she just marches on the station but people do many different things, some bouncing (not me!!), some marching but most just moving in some way.

Water aerobics would probably be best for very overweight people because it allows the muscles to work without the weight bearing of most exercise. I considered this but the time it would take was too long. Getting to the pool, in your suit, one hour class, shower, dry off, dress, get home and hang up your stuff to dry...it is just too much time away from my family for me.

Your decision to walk instead of joining Curves is probably a good one for you. Good for you, keep it up!!
Gus 7/02
Old 01-27-2003, 05:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My 3 yr old dd just pressed the escape button and whooosh, there went 3 paragraphs of writing! Oh well, it was time for me to give her some attention anyway...

Some time later... the short version...

I'm 34 and have not had to worry much about my weight so far. In fact, after my dd was born 3 years ago, I worried about being too thin (imagine!). That only lasted a few months and then I gained ten pound back to my normal weight and added 10 more over the following year. I haven't gained anymore but I worry about it since my dear departed mom was overweight.

I HATE, HATE, HATE exercising. I've tried joining Shapes with a friend - paid for 3 months and went 3 times! We also have a weight bench and a stationary bicycle at home which my husband uses more or less regularly. I have used the weight bench in short spurts but I won't touch the cycle. We also have an elliptical machine which I don't mind the idea of but can never get motivated to use much. So...

Although I have some concerns about muscle/joint strain after reading some of the posts, this Curves place just might be the right thing for me. From what I understand you start at any one machine and after 30 seconds you move to a trampoline or steps before moving on to the next machine for 30 seconds. You do every machine and after 30 minutes you're outta there!? Is this right? This sounds like the structure I need. Also the first Curves I've ever heard of has just opened right next to where I work which would cut out travelling time... hmmm...I'll let you know if anything comes out of this.

To anyone of you who starts to exercise - hats off to you! To those of you who keep it up - I admire you and I hope to be among you in the not so distant future!

N.B.: My short version is no shorter than my first version...what happened?!
Old 01-31-2003, 04:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a question for the curves members. What about adjusting the machines? everyone has a different fitness level and if you are only on for 30 seconds how do you have time to adjust the machine? are they just set at one level or do they give you time to adjust it?

gina.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:26 PM
Friend of the Family

Who's this guy?
FamilyCorner Newbie

Curves

I've been reading all the responses to the Curves issue: To use or not to use...My 69 yo momma has been going to a Curves in her town for about 6 months now and really enjoys the exercise (a first for her), and enjoys chatting with the other women. My momma doesn't push herself to the pain limit, just uses common sense. So far, she's had no problems, and has lost inches from her waist.

I also have a Curves near my home, and have been weighing (no pun intended! HA!) the pros and cons. I have problems with the sciatic nerve, and have to be careful about too much strain in that area. SO, I decided against Curves, and instead bought the 3 "Walk Away the Pounds for Abs" videos by Leslie Sansone. Anyway, it's low-impact stuff (you walk in place), and I also use the Walk Away Belt that provides necessary resistance.

I believe the tapes can be bought from just about any store. She has a website as well, it's: www.walkawaythepounds.com.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Bye for now,
Old 02-03-2003, 03:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

adjusting machines at curves question

This is in response to the post about how you adjust the machines when you change every 30 seconds.

The machines are hydrolic and they do not require adjusting. The faster you go the harder they work. So for those starting out you just go as slow as you need to. When I first joined I didn't need to go very fast to get a workout. Now I go faster although sometimes I get lazy and go slower or just forget to push myself. If you work hard on the machines and really use the "recovery boards" (not trampolines) to recover you will get a great workout. Some just go through the motions on the machines and do aerobic on the boards and that isn't the way it is designed. Our Curves is really trying to get that through to the members recently.

The only thing you might need to adjust would be on some of the machines where height matters or lenght of legs. Some women use an extra pad behind the back to use the machines but I am 5'4" and I don't require one. If you are interested in joining (or just curious) they will walk you through and explain each machine and explain the workout. If anyone is considering joining, I hope this would be part of your decision making process.

Good Luck!!
Gus 7/02
Old 06-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I saw the couple that started curves in an interview today on tv, I wondered so I did a search and found this thread. I was wondering if anyone is still doing curves or has anymore opinions after all these months.

We have one here but it hasnt been opened very long and I'm thinking about checking it out.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Curves

I went to Curves today and I enjoyed it--it was fun to have other curvy women to exercise with and talk to. I am going to go ahead and join tomorrow.

Is anyone else into Curves?