Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Exercise and Equipment Looking into a stair climber? Maybe a treadmill? Talk to others here and ask their opinions.

Old 09-03-2002, 01:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Exercise or Swiss ball

I've just recently joined a gym and I was showed a couple of different ab exercises on the "ball". They are absolutely fantastic. The neat thing about it is that you're so comfortable while you're doing the exercises, it doesn't really feel like you're over doing it. Two days after I did the ab workout the first time, I couldn't move my torso! I wouldn't recommend overdoing it I like did the first time you try it. Now I do the "ball" daily when I finish my regular workout and I would like some additional exercises besides the regular crunches and "bumblebee" (for the inner thighs & lower abs).

Does anyone ever use the ball?? Any tips or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

P.S. I found the following info (from another source) that might offer insight:
Exercise ball: bounce your way to fitness

Remember the hoppity-hop ball you used to bounce around on when you were in kindergarten? Even if you never had the pleasure of playing on one of those oversized colored plastic balls, you love its grown-up cousin, the exercise ball. Exercise balls are effective for stretching and developing balance and coordination; you can even substitute one for your weight bench to take your weight training to a whole new level. Exercise balls also also go by the names Physioballs, Swiss balls, gymnastic balls and Resist-a-balls. They come in a wide range of colors and sizes and typically sell for $15-50.

Last edited by msr107; 09-04-2002 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Don't let anyone touch it!!!!

My only advice is don't let hubby anywear near it! Mine ended up poping it by placeing it on top of a lit lamp to get it out of his way

LOL Amanda
Old 09-08-2002, 02:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question

Amanda,
I use the one at the gym so it's not likely to pop (hope it doesn't while I'm using it!!!). Did you use it regularly & what type of exercises did you do with it?

Mari
Old 09-08-2002, 06:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Check out prevention.com and look through their archives- they had an issue that had several really good exercises for the ball. I can't remember which one it was of course! I haven't gotten one yet, but am planning on it. I saw someone doing their arm weight lifting while balancing on the ball- that would really work your abs and thighs since you have to use them for balance!
Old 09-08-2002, 06:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb ball exercises

Hello, I just got back into the "ball workout." I switch my routinue so I dont get bored, good timing on this one. Well basically anything (almost) you do on a weight bench you can modify to do on the ball. I know it sounds weird but really you can. I bought an issue of Self (September 2002) and to my surprise they have excellent ball exercises, that are broked up into groups. For instance they have 2 pages of legs, glutes, and 2 pages of arm exercises you can do. Plus on each one there is a picture and written in complete explination. They are great. And what a work out they are. There are some for the abs as well, and I was amazed at the creativity, what looks fun and easy was hard, but I needed to challenge my muscles in a different way. Good luck and I hope this helped. If you want there are some exercise videos. I personally own the ball at home, Im an at home Mom and the gym is just to hard for me to get too, since I am always on the go, with my equipment at home, I havent missed a work out in 7 months. SO, I know first hand at having one at home, other then the kids and hubby trying to play with it, it is a great investment, to have around the house.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

;-) brittani29, have you seen any results by using the ball? Like with your abs? That is where my problem is and would like to get into something that will give me results without me getting bored and discouraged. I am 53 years old and would like to firm up.

Has anyone else seen good results by using the ball? How much time do you spend using it? How long after start using it did you see results? I am just full of questions aren't I?? I would hate to spend the money for the ball and then have it sit in the corner somewhere not being used!

Old 09-12-2002, 08:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle The Ball

Hello, I cant really say how long it will take. It depends on the shape you are in now, consistence, and diet. If we eat unhealthy no matter how much we work out it will never show thru. We first have to get laayers of fat gone before we can see the true beauty of muscles underneath. (That are probably in great shape now). I still have some fat that i need to get rid of on the tummy area, do to the stretch of having 2 children,this is no easy task, but I still work at it, even when I feel yucky.
If you arent sure you want to invest in a ball yet, you might try Pilates, it uses your pwerhouse, (your stomach) to control movements, I love this. It has helped my tummy get a little smaller and my legs looking lean. If only mu tummy would catch up to the rest of me getting tone. I am not to far from being where I want to be (though its hard on particular days when I feel like a blimp) and this is by far a hard task(workingout and watching what I eat). But its the best for our body's. The ball exercise uses muscles you dont even know you have. I feel like I get more of a challenge with this then the free weights, lets just say I break more of a sweat using the ball as resistence (of course I am following the exercise in Self magazine). But you can also invest in free weights and get toning. It really depends on what you feel more comfortable with. I have all 3 and use them all, I switch routine ever so often, keeps my muscels guessing and working harder with diferent positions. Good luck, feel free to email me with anything else you need. [email protected]
Old 01-10-2004, 05:28 PM
BoggsZ

Exercise Ball

Just wondering if anyone has tried those excercise Balls that you set on I thought about getting one to set on at my computer any info would be great.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have one and I plan on dusting it off and using it! Gonna try some Pilates and Yoga. How is everyone doing?
Old 06-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I just bought one of these. I am afraid if I use it I'll pop it!!!!! LOL!!!!!

hugs, me